Phuket’s ‘Russian invasion’ – they’re here to stay

webfact

11 hours ago, parafareno said:

even Germans and rotten teeeth English chaps are mora palatable then the orcs

Didn't realise Terry <deleted>wit was posting on AseanNow 😄

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

I have visited Russia and the people were not as described here.  I enjoyed my time spent in Russia as a tourist and believe what I have read here is USA Propaganda which is being used to back up their failures in the USA Foreign Policy as well as their failure in Economic Policy where Russia is doing well even with the USA boycotting most Russian products.  Of course not the ones that are in a shortage in the US.

USA Propaganda?  if so, the Thai media is being told what to say by the USA or

The USA has Russians in Thailand doing these things to make Russians look bad...so which one do you think it is?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, shackleton said:

I have no problems with Russian tourists staying in Phuket and Pattaya buying up the land houses businesses ect 😱

Just leave  Hua Hin and other areas in  South Thailand  alone for us retired old  Farangs to enjoy 😉 

Too late ..  there's even a Russion Food take out stall in the Bluport Mall

22 minutes ago, parafareno said:

did you wash your one remaining rotten tooth chap?

I would focus your energy on trying to rustle up a 65k per month income....if you're near 50 and can't even do that how are you going to survive in Thailand. I wouldn't worry about my teeth btw - visited a great dentist in Bangkok in February and will be revisiting them in June when I'm next in town.     

I won't comment on your home country, safe to say you're not really in a position to be dissing your neighbours. 😄 Nor the "orcs" who still supply a lot of your gas which is funding their war chest. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MarkyM3 said:

I would focus your energy on trying to rustle up a 65k per month income....if you're near 50 and can't even do that how are you going to survive in Thailand. I wouldn't worry about my teeth btw - visited a great dentist in Bangkok in February and will be revisiting them in June when I'm next in town.     

I won't comment on your home country, safe to say you're not really in a position to be dissing your neighbours. 😄 Nor the "orcs" who still supply a lot of your gas which is funding their war chest. 

i have that much income per month but it is from properties not a pension....so I guess that will not do

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

I have lived here for 15 years. The Russian invasion is just one more reason that I am working on my exit plan.

Regarding taxing expats, it is far from a settled issue but the brain trust in BKK ( I am joking about brain trust...should be brainless trust) has not thought this through. I am not wealthy but I bring in around 100,000 baht to the country monthly. I spent it all, every baht going into the Thai economy. I am not the only farang who will likely spend 179 days a year here to avoid tax- residency. That means that 6 months X 100,000 baht will not be spent in Thailand. I am sure the Vietnam, Malaysia, Colombia, Mexico, the PI  and many other countries are rooting for Thailand to tax foreigners. 

Let's see? Russians and Tax....the RFL ( Reasons for Leaving) is increasing. 

a small amount of text on threads topic, and then lots on the 'have to get in every thread' old subject of tax

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

There’s now a taskforce of immigration and labour officials who have been ramping up the policing of these ‘nominee’ businesses, using Thais to open bank accounts and set up businesses, usually reserved for Thais only.

Since when are specific businesses usually reserved for Thais only. It's like they now make up the rules as they go, that the jobs are for Thais only has nothing to do with the legal ability of a foreigner to be a shareholder in that company. As far I know, as long a Thai would agree with you as a partnership/deal, even they consider that now a nominee, is perfectly legal too, as long taxes etc are being paid. So not sure what they are even talking about at this point.

Illegal activities are a different thing but that has nothing to do with a foreigner in general, working with a Thai (only way), owning a business here. Or are they secretly telling us that now business is less good, they want to make it illegal for us foreigners, even if working with Thais, or being married, to not do any hospitality/tourism business too.

35 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

As a Belgian I object to your insulting stance about the USSR valiant soldiers who fought in WWII.

The Soviet Army broke the back of the German Army in Stalingrad and Kursk and was the main contributor to the liberation of Europe.

You must be a German still sore about the Barbarossa failure.

And, Yes, I support Putin 100%.

Ukraine's Bandera nationalists formed a SS brigade in WWII so I have no sympathy for Zelensky and his Azov battallions.

Russians made a huge sacrifice to make Europe free again, but then the allied forces pretended all the honor was to them, the Russians weren't even invited on the party after. Is funny how they barely write about it in history too, at least I got told little/zero about the Russian contribution as a European kid in school.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

As a Belgian I object to your insulting stance about the USSR valiant soldiers who fought in WWII.

The Soviet Army broke the back of the German Army in Stalingrad and Kursk and was the main contributor to the liberation of Europe.

Ukraine's Bandera nationalists formed a SS brigade in WWII so I have no sympathy for Zelensky and his Azov battallions.

Better start living in the present before someone comes up with the Belgian SS brigades.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_Legion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walloon_Legion

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They are my least favorite people on earth. Thankfully I don't have to live on Phuket. Had I lived there, I would have left. Why do I dislike them so much?

I think it is partly a reflection of the current culture. It was destroyed over a century of callous and murderous leadership. Stalin, Lenin, Khruschev, now Putin. They have become somewhat savage and crude. No grace, no finesse, no courtesy. Rather uncivilized. My family was from Russia a few generations back. I used to ask my great-grandmother when she was still around, why they didn't teach us anything about the old country. She would give me this look, and tell me "the reason we never teach you about the place we came from, is because the place we came from was the most horrific country on earth, it was the most destitute, horrible, oppressive place and we were thrilled to finally get out of there and leave it behind. That's why we don't teach you about the old country, the old country doesn't exist for us. 

There are a multitude of reasons why very few people around the world have sympathy for the Russians. Those reasons are not limited to their serial killing, despot, thieving multi billionaire dictator for life. It is more about their nature, their history as ruthless, homicidal Cossack warriors, and their total lack of manners, and class. Not to mention the dignity, class, decency, civility, and social skills decades of Leninism, Stalinism, and now Putinism has stripped them of. 

And of course, the utter failure of their leader. This is a clear case of psychological projection: Putin dreamt and failed to create a dollar-free world and establish Russia as an “energy superpower.” He allowed corruption to metastasize through the state’s fabric, undermining its security capabilities. With its mass emigration, skyrocketing divorce rate, and low fertility, Russia, more than the West, demonstrates an immense collapse of family and social values.

Extremely well written and true. I tried very hard while in Bali to get to know them as I had enjoyed their writers, ballet, music and paintings. They all took advantage of me, and when they got what they needed they dissapeared. The current generation of them were taught the hard line from their parents who went through the crap there. Advice to Thai gov, give them Phuket right now, and stop any further invasion, kind of like Ukraine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, brianthainess said:

They the Russians were the same in WW2 raping, pillaging, drinking all along the way, they have no morals.  

Whereas the Germans and the allies never engaged in such activities. Every nation has its historical dark side, especially the UK and the US. It is a mistake to judge a whole nation on its leaders, ordinary people just want to get on with their lives but governments, outside interference, ideology, religions and the greed of the elite make that impossible, especially with the media with vested interests is standing on the sidelines cheering on their benefactors.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

USA Propaganda?  if so, the Thai media is being told what to say by the USA or

The USA has Russians in Thailand doing these things to make Russians look bad...so which one do you think it is?

Yep. I was in Moscow for a very short time and all the Russians there were very civil.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Accidental Tourist said:

Thais really like their mafias... foreign or local

No they don't but they are sensible enough to realize where strength lies. It's easy enough as a keyboard warrior to be brave and principled until you yourself are threatened with financial ruin or violence if you don't tow the line, it's called accommodation, accepting the reality of things as they are. Who here wouldn't dump his principles for the chance of making some huge profit......lots of oligarchs in London owning mansions in Knightsbridge bought with suspicious money, the authorities don't look too closely. How long did it take the justice system to nail the Kray twins in the UK, it was difficult because police and influential figures were on the take. Mocking others is easy if you don't look to close to home.  

• Sad 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:37 AM, webfact said:

Over the past year Russian buyers have been the most numerous in the Phuket property market, by far. Almost single-handedly artificially inflating the value of the market after years of languishing, particularly during the Covid pandemic.

Russians relocate and buy property in Phuket.  This increased demand causes the prices to rise.  What part of that is "artificial"?

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are a multitude of reasons why very few people around the world have sympathy for the Russians. Those reasons are not limited to their serial killing, despot, thieving multi billionaire dictator for life. It is more about their nature, their history as ruthless, homicidal Cossack warriors, and their total lack of manners, and class. Not to mention the dignity, class, decency, civility, and social skills. 

And of course, the utter failure of their leader.

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They have become somewhat savage and crude. No grace, no finesse, no courtesy. Rather uncivilized.

That is a bit rich coming from someone from the USA IMO.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jayceenik said:

Yeh they just raped the Germans living there, so that's ok then ?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Excogitator said:

It would be interesting to know what they say about other 'farang' tourists and expats in russian-speaking forums concerning Thailand (anyone?).

Well my comment has been taken down. 

As i said, you can slag off Thais, Russians, Chinese and Indians as much as you want here, but one country is off limits no matter what they do.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Goat said:

Well my comment has been taken down. 

As i said, you can slag off Thais, Russians, Chinese and Indians as much as you want here, but one country is off limits no matter what they do.

That's not my question, which is genuine btw. If you read my comment again.. I wonder what they (russians) are saying about us in their (russian speaking) forums?