British tourist found dead in drain following pub crawl on notorious 'Death Island'

webfact

49 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Funding for what? He has died, not lying in a hospital bed waiting for repatriation.

Did his dead body just vanish then, Sherlock? Maybe magic carpet transported /whisked him and tinkerbell home to UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Oh, this bloody Koh Tao once again! Beware of this island.

Specially deadly for AN readers tho, suprising  there,s no 'formal travel advisory for members'pinned prior to Log in!! 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So the guy goes missing on 18 March and NO ONE reports it ?
Not even his girlfriend ?
What happened to her ?
Why didn't this make the news - until nearly a month later ? And in a UK "media site" of course.

Funny, the Mirror article says she "posted several tributes online to her partner." 
Must be on a private platform or on a different profile. No public posts on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. 

Same for Theo. Of the nearly 20 "Theo Bailey" Facebook profiles I looked at - none are this guy.

I find it really hard to believe that he'd be out drinking with his girlfriend of 10 years, go missing, be found dead the next morning - and she makes NO mention of it ? Until it appears in the Mirror a month later ?

(Keep in mind that media sites like the Mirror and Sun "buy" people's "horror travel stories" and "buff" them before publishing them. One advertisement I saw proclaimed they'd "pay for your holiday" if you had a good(horror) story to tell.)

And no - there's no way "they" could cover this up for a month.  (I just found a Twitter post about this from a lawyer in the UK dated 30 March - with no links or references to where he heard it from. I responded to his tweet and asked where he got his information from.)

Funny, literally no information about "Theo Bailey" other than he's 31.
But we know she's a teaching assistant from Chelmsford and who she's working for and where (Welwyn Garden City, Hertsfordshire).

No mention of where he came from, or his job, or even if his parents were notified or what happened to his body.
And the article says:

"The authorities said that the case "was still open", however, no arrests have been made at this time."

"Thai police said they are waiting for the post-mortem results."

Riiiight.
I looked and no "GoFundMe" - kind of hard to start asking for money a month after the event happened. 

Lots of unanswered questions.

Good questions - especially about the girlfriend of 10 years. They 'separated' during the night and his body was found the next day? When the next day?? One report said next afternoon - was she drugged/etc - was he robbed (phone gone?).  Why was the death not reported until now - saving toursims?  So many questions - probably get the same answers as before - some poor Burmese did it. 

I dont like the Islands in Thailand - from Phuket to Kao Tao - they are all 'not so good'.  And as an Aussie, I hate Samui. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

these deaths all seem connected to diving 

It's a diving resort island!!! That used to be really safe with the number one killer on land being falling coconuts and skin diving ie shallow water drowning. That all changed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Deadly accidents like this happen all the time on Phangan too, it rarely makes the news. I can see it by seeing the posts of some monks on their social media pages only. I think at least a few per month. Sometimes they are murder, sometimes they are not, sometimes nobody knows.

What often seems the case, similar to any other islands, if there are some young naive western girls who are way too drunk, dressed up sexy, and start chatting with a few local guys, these local guys will absolutely hate any western backpacker, who now eyes that girl too. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourist's body was found outside the Roctapus diving centre in Koh Tao, Thailand (Image: AsiaPacificPress / ViralPress)

Brit backpacker Theo Bailey, believed to be in his 30s, was sadly found lifeless in a shallow water drainage ditch the following day outside the Roctapus diving centre on Koh Tao Island

A British backpacker has been found dead in a drain whilst on vacation in Thailand.

Theo Bailey, believed to be 31, went missing while on a pub crawl with his long-term girlfriend, Chantal Xerri. It is believed the pair got drunk with other holidaymakers on the island of Koh Tao on March 18 before he vanished. He was sadly found lifeless in a shallow water drainage ditch the following day outside the Roctapus diving centre. Police believe he had been in the drain for several hours before he was located. His phone is said to have also been missing.

They told us FOUR times.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The reality is, when you have amassed a fortune into the hundreds of millions of dollars, from illegal land sales, you are above the law. Any and all laws.

Especially when you have helped to fund the crime family currently in government.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Just by reading this thread, it has shown that there are some sick individuals on this forum.

We get all these self-righteous people on here spouting how to behave in a country where we are guests, and then a man in his early thirties meets his unfortunate demise, and this is their reaction, to be greeted with sick jokes, sarcasm and attempts at gallows humour. Hope you are proud of your comments for a cheap giggle.

He is somebody's son, brother, friend, and partner and all we get on here are sick jokes and people joking he deserved it due to having a drink too many, and casual mentions of two Burmese men, who have spent countless years in prison for a crime very few people believe they committed.

I hope there is merit in the old saying ' What goes around, comes around '

RIP to the man and his family and loved ones.

You would hope that Karma eventually plays out on the perpetrator's!  Sounds a little like PNG doesnt it Scouse!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Died March 18th. And being reported April 14th. 

Any good reason for the information being suppressed for nearly a month? Other than protecting the image of Koh Tao and Thai tourism generally.

it was reported in the UK when it happened and there was a thread on here about it at the time too.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, damo1967 said:

A man has unforunately died (RIP pal) and you are cracking jokes? You are disgraceful.  Would you write the exact same words if that was your brother?  Your sister?  Your mom?  Yeaa.. right!  Grow up.

It's all they've got.......:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

After a whole month to notice, and the photo of the dive shop being pretty clear, the report still says 'Roctapus' at least twice. 🤔🤨

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

It's not called death island for nothing.  I think that's 12 deaths now.

Over the years there have been a lot more thanks to social media it’s hard to bury bad news !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Olmate said:

Just noticed reported happened March 18th, probably go fund me appeal on now! 

Really, did you really need to make such a low comment,  time to grow up.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1