The Prisoner: McGoohan at his written-best with Lava Lamps, and no Kiss, Kiss; Bang Bang!

Too many years ago, 1967, there was a British TV production which took the world by storm.

Quite strange writing, with many references to the numbers One through Six, the first episode seemed to focus on Lava Lamps and Weather Balloons.

The Prisoner has now become a classic, and it remains a reminder of just how far we have fallen since 1967, toward lives of futility and the absence of freedom to make decisions, without the influence of self-censorship and Madison Avenue thought control, not to mention such pervasive product-placement garbage.

I enjoyed this nostalgic flashback documentary featuring McGoohan....PLUS...the second, and more recent, documentary featuring McGoohan's daughter.  Both are much more interesting than most fare on the internet that is appealing to our children.  Our children who grew up in such Happy Days....

Oh, well, I guess I cannot return to those happier times of the 50s and 60s, with the race riots that I loved.  Those were the years of Poitier, too.

These days, I just do not enjoy the western culture, although I certainly did enjoy US/UK culture sixty years/seventy years ago.

We just cannot go home, again, it seems.

Fondest regards,

Gamma

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I never really worked out what the blokes on the see-saw were doing.

image.jpeg.f3baeca7d218dfe374f02f49fbb0235f.jpeg

Actually, this is only PART of the see-saw theme which pops up again in at least one later episode, where McGoohan and the other guy with the beard are seen see-sawing before they both fall off onto the floor.  If you watch both documentaries (real docs this time) linked in the OP, then you will eventually come across this second see-saw scene...if I am not mistaken.

3 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I've got an unopened DVD box set of the Prisoner back in NZ.  Really enjoyed the series on TV as a young lad. 

Lotus Super 7.  Big boys go cart.  Fun fun. 

Ah.. So... 

His number was both 6 and 7, then...? 

Hence, the driving scene in the opening scene of Episode One? 

That IS a beautiful go cart. 

I wish I had one, and also a thousand miles of open road to go with it. 

3 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I've got an unopened DVD box set of the Prisoner back in NZ.  Really enjoyed the series on TV as a young lad. 

I recently downloaded the whole series as I liked it so much when I first saw it on tv. Not quite the same impact now but still worth a watch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I recently downloaded the whole series as I liked it so much when I first saw it on tv. Not quite the same impact now but still worth a watch.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I had thought to just use YT to watch the series, again, but it would be better to have a high-quality download, and then use VLC on my Linux desktop.

By the way:

a. I think The Prisoner would never have used proprietary software for an OS.

b. The Prisoner would have barfed on Windows OS.

c. The Prisoner would have BARFED on Jobs.

d. Why?  Jobs was a complete Control Freak.  And, The Prisoner Hated this kind of control be exerted on human beings. Therefore, The Prisoner would have either Barfed on Jobs, or maybe even Shot hid Dead...  Kiss, Kiss; Bang, Bang!

Reminds me of that song, even...

On 4/16/2024 at 10:57 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

These days, I just do not enjoy the western culture, although I certainly did enjoy US/UK culture sixty years/seventy years ago.

Western culture hasn't stood a chance against the mass immigration of those with a completely different culture.

The cultures they sought to escape from still exist though, as no one from the west is immigrating into those countries.

When living in London I used to go down to the Thames to see the parade of cultures in London which was held near the end of the year, and they had many different cultures represented, but not a single representation of British culture.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:36 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

By the way:

a. I think The Prisoner would never have used proprietary software for an OS.

b. The Prisoner would have barfed on Windows OS.

c. The Prisoner would have BARFED on Jobs.

d. Why?  Jobs was a complete Control Freak.  And, The Prisoner Hated this kind of control be exerted on human beings. Therefore, The Prisoner would have either Barfed on Jobs, or maybe even Shot hid Dead...  Kiss, Kiss; Bang, Bang!

I fail to get the relevance of that.

In 1967 did anyone even know what windows OS was, who Jobs was or use any sort of personal computer?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2024 at 2:49 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

Snap! I too have an unopened DVD box set of "The Prisoner". I bought it on special in London when I was working there. I think it was 10 quid or something. It sits in a box with my unopened box sets of Cracker, and Prime Suspect. All excellent series which I enjoyed at the time, but when I can buy an unused DVD of a movie I never saw before for $2 at the op shop, seen series must wait their turn, which likely will never come, and they will end up in an op shop for a few $.

One series from that era that I did watch in the past few years though, was Edge of Darkness- the original, not the rubbish remake. That has to be the best political series of all time, IMO. It came out of the golden age of British tv, when they made excellent series like MOGUL. Sadly that era has gone and never again will such brilliant tv be seen again.

On 4/18/2024 at 6:32 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

One series from that era that I did watch in the past few years though, was Edge of Darkness- the original, not the rubbish remake. That has to be the best political series of all time, IMO. It came out of the golden age of British tv, when they made excellent series like MOGUL.

This ^^^.

Edge of Darkness is still superbly watchable and the Troubleshooters (UK series name with the MOGUL oil company) definitely worth a re-look.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

This ^^^.

Edge of Darkness is still superbly watchable and the Troubleshooters (UK series name with the MOGUL oil company) definitely worth a re-look.

It was called MOGUL in NZ. Don't know why. Perhaps there was a different series with the original name though I do not recall.

Edge has not aged at all, is still politically relevant, and has probably the best script of all time. I suspect it was too close to reality to be followed up by another such series.

One of the most chilling parts IMO was when they referenced the nuclear train. These days it would be a very tempting target for terrorists.

Even the ending is relevant today with it's reference to the black flowers making the planet heat up to get rid of humans. That series was the first I head of Gaia, and I subscribe to that myself since.

• Like 1

I do remember Mogul... just.  My father use to watch it religiously. 

We had an old black and white tv, if he was over the the shed (Tobacco farmer: always fixing stuff) we had to run across and tell it was on. 

Absolutely no noise allowed from any of us kids while it was on.  Maybe ask if he wanted a cup of tea during the ads. 

On 4/18/2024 at 6:33 AM, Denim said:

stayed at a 2 bedroomed cottage in Port Merion for 1 night with 2 Thai girlfriends who were students. Great buffet breakfast in the pavilion overlooking the estuary. 

Driving there from London we were a bit late and stopped at a roadside pub to ask for directions.  Everyone was speaking Welsh. As soon as I began to ask the barman the way in English , the whole place fell silent and stared at us. Talk about the elephant in the room. Freaky like a scene from Straw Dogs.

Interesting that you should mention Straw Dogs.

Straw Dogs (1971) is still Sam Peckinpah's all-time Masterpiece.

Straw Dogs was filmed in some amazing locations.

Also, the rape scene was shortened and lengthened several times, principally due to the fact that it was seen as important to ensure that the audience knew that Amy was in no-way enjoying it.

If some might not know what it is like to NOT be welcomed in a place like the one you mention, the Straw Dogs scene you refer to is most likely this one (the pub scene):

One of the greatest films of that generation.

The film, at the time, did not get proper credit from critics of the NYT, and other rags.

Now, in hindsight, even those critics must admit just how great Peckinpah's film truly was.

It was his masterpiece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

One of the greatest films of that generation.

The film, at the time, did not get proper credit from critics of the NYT, and other rags.

Now, in hindsight, even those critics must admit just how great Peckinpah's film truly was.

It was his masterpiece.

Yes. A classic of the time.  Right up there with Kubricks Barry Lyndon.

Kubrick is not an easy man to work with. 

A couple of anecdotes about working with him on Full Metal Jacket. The second one at 5.00 minutes in is brilliant. I would have loved to have been there when it happened

Many years back I stayed in 'the village'  which is actually Portmerrion and in North Wales for two nights, it's a very beautiful and memorable place.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Many years back I stayed in 'the village'  which is actually Portmerrion and in North Wales for two nights, it's a very beautiful and memorable place.

I think we were both lucky to stay there many years ago.

Back in 2020 I drove past it with my wife on the way to our hotel in Barmouth. We had it in mind to spend a few hours there but couldn't get into the car park ! Jam packed solid with day trippers which somehow took the shine off visiting. We went elsewhere for a walk.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Maybe Dr Syn aka The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. 

I remember that from my very early years as being a two or three parter on The Wonderful World of Disney. Pretty good high contrast color. But I also seem to remember some really horrible song in it that sounded like Johnny Horton Meets Halloween.

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2024 at 6:33 AM, Denim said:

I stayed at a 2 bedroomed cottage in Port Merion

Me too. The set of The Prisoner was tiny, but properly weird. A lot of stores selling victorian-style dishes in a style that Fornesecca clearly borrowed from. I have English relatives still in Pompton Fryth. And yeah, they're still a bit of outcasts even after half a century there.

For me, The Prisoner was the first intellectual English thing that I ever enjoyed (early teens). Without it, I would not have gotten into Harold Pinter or Martin Amis. No one does alienated detachment like the brits. That flavor goes all the way to Oasis for me.

Must part company on Straw Dogs. It has not aged well. The Susan George character is a mysogenistic male fantasy: the feral child-woman. Dustin Hoffman goes from nerd to psycho-killer a little too easily to be believed. Actually, no character at all in that film remotely makes sense.

Peckinpah was better when his films were male-bonding epic poems like the genius-laden Wild Bunch. Again, only Madonna's and whores need apply for female representation. The Iron Cross was another great one in that vein.

• Agree 1