Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

8 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

t may improve if the bozos in power learned once and for all that the tourists are bringing income, and with tourism comes a few pieces of excess baggage they don't want, such as badly behaved clowns and a few criminals, but the majority of tourists are good for the country and its tourist-reliant industries. They are doing Thailand a favour, not the other way around.

Yes -absolutely and th Russians Chinese and Indians now do that better

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/19/2024 at 9:43 PM, spidermike007 said:

Westerners and a sprinkling of some others. It was a low end crowd. 

sounds like some members on this forum!...(including me before any of you get any ideas) 🙂

16 pages deep and still going...hit a nerve on this one....more popular the a bargirl or best burger threads!

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

6 hours ago, RobU said:

Spent some real time back in the US recently, and it allowed some clarity and perspective,

yep...i'll jumping on a plane back to LOS next week....hope it doesnt fall apart over the pacific......first sangsom is on me, as promised 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly. Perhaps ex-pats should be given a bit more credit, in this formula? We do bring in alot of stable income.  Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless businesses, employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit.

By comparison, an average ex-pat spends how much per month? I would say alot of us spend 50,000 to upwards of 100,000 baht a month. I know I do. No value in that? I know some live on less. However, since the average GDP of the nation is around $570, that means about 20,000 baht a month?

I think xenophobia is utterly rampant, in all segments of the government here, from the feds right on down to the local amphur. However, I do not think most Thai people are that way. I think most either like us, or are indifferent to us. Which I can handle. 

I think ex-pats should be treated with the kind of respect and acknowledgement we deserve.

If there was decency abs wisdom within the govt. they should say we have decided to change our policies, and we now realize how much you guys bring to the table.

An immigration officer will now come to your home to renew your visa, to show our appreciation, of your continued support. You will only be required to sign one form, and we will give you a five year, multiple entry visa. Free of charge.

And we will include a 10,000 baht voucher, good for any hotel in the country, for one year. 

Princely treatment. Thank you so much for helping to rescue our economy and our people. We appreciate it, and aim to show it for a change! We are past the era of thugs like the big joke.

And we apologize for all of his abuse. We realize we have been moving the country backwards. 

And Covid has given us all some time to reflect.

We are going to start changing things, and attempt to move the nation forward, instead of backwards.

Wouldn’t that be nice I think I will write a letter to Thaksin, my mother in law loves him. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Hummin said:

Carlson, who went to the underground Moscow clean train stations akd great supermarkeds, and did not see one filty homeless? 

Christ sake, Carlsen is the last one I would use as a reference. He is the worst western Putin Propagandists. 

Ukraine is in same situation as Georgia, except Ukraine President did not roll over and accept is and Ukraine faith dictated by Moscow. 

He got fired from fox for telling to much truth. 

I never liked him much but he did bring out some useful truth about what's been talked about between Bill Clinton and other top USA officials. 

The USA overthrew the government of Ukraine and there's been nothing but mayham since, The USA have been doing this world wide using the CIA, and people have now had a guts full, protests world wide now and most media under severe control. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

I never liked him much but he did bring out some useful truth about what's been talked about between Bill Clinton and other top USA officials. 

The USA overthrew the government of Ukraine and there's been nothing but mayham since, The USA have been doing this world wide using the CIA, and people have now had a guts full, protests world wide now and most media under severe control. 

That's right , like invading Iraq and dismantling the Suni government and military. So now Shia Iran is established in Iraq.

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Truths comes in many ways, and Carlsen is good at truths some people like to believe. A good mix easy digestive conspirations with some truths in it.

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

But I have to give you right on Usa and CIA activity, what we accuse russia and China for doing, Cia and Us do as well

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you have a problem seeing the difference between apples and oranges.

I answered a question asked by a polite member of this forum about the number of pension freezing nations (by Googling).  Could you explain the differences between apples and oranges?

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Carlson would not know truth if it bit him on the ankles. He is a master of disinformation. One of the reasons he is being considered as VP candidate by Trump, as astonishing as that sounds. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:21 AM, bugger bognor said:

Thailand could learn a few lessons from Cambodia 300 dollars for a year reTirement Visa 2 pictures  took 2weeks to get no paperwork no embassy or immigration vIsit done from my hotel no 90 day report no tm30 and multiple entRY and a very warm welcome

Yes, for sure.  There is always a plan B.  Folks just keep thinking there is no life outside Thailand after coming here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly. Perhaps ex-pats should be given a bit more credit, in this formula? We do bring in alot of stable income.  Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless businesses, employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit.

By comparison, an average ex-pat spends how much per month? I would say alot of us spend 50,000 to upwards of 100,000 baht a month. I know I do. No value in that? I know some live on less. However, since the average GDP of the nation is around $570, that means about 20,000 baht a month?

I think xenophobia is utterly rampant, in all segments of the government here, from the feds right on down to the local amphur. However, I do not think most Thai people are that way. I think most either like us, or are indifferent to us. Which I can handle. 

I think ex-pats should be treated with the kind of respect and acknowledgement we deserve.

If there was decency abs wisdom within the govt. they should say we have decided to change our policies, and we now realize how much you guys bring to the table.

An immigration officer will now come to your home to renew your visa, to show our appreciation, of your continued support. You will only be required to sign one form, and we will give you a five year, multiple entry visa. Free of charge.

And we will include a 10,000 baht voucher, good for any hotel in the country, for one year. 

Princely treatment. Thank you so much for helping to rescue our economy and our people. We appreciate it, and aim to show it for a change! We are past the era of thugs like the big joke.

And we apologize for all of his abuse. We realize we have been moving the country backwards. 

And Covid has given us all some time to reflect.

We are going to start changing things, and attempt to move the nation forward, instead of backwards.

Nice thought - I was going to include a pic, but my last one got removed by "The Mods", so :- 

"Porkers might defy gravity and sprout wings"!

On 4/20/2024 at 2:08 PM, eddie61 said:

I’m surprised that the uncertainty about tax on money brought into the country isn’t mentioned. I think this will potentially have a massive impact on the attractiveness of Thailand as a retirement place.

Well I and many others have stopped transfers and are running down existing funds until there is definite clarification

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Goat said:

Do you respect all the foreign men who marry the young prostitutes in your home country? Should your government give them favorable treatment to encourage more mongers to marry more young prostitutes?

I don't respect any white man that calls other white men 'farang'!

Who anyone is banging or why or for what ........ don't really care.

Thailand provides prostitutes to the world, it's what the Thais are famous for.

I didn't make it that way, don't blame me or any other white men.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Goat said:

Lets face it, per capita, the Brits are if not are the biggest trouble makers in Thailand, they are well up there.

Only on this forum you would average two Brit "incidents' per week, much more and way more consistant than tourists from any other country.

I would have classed the Chinese and the Russians as the biggest trouble makers in Thailand (after the Thais).

Just now, BritManToo said:

I would have classed the Chinese and the Russians as the biggest trouble makers in Thailand (after the Thais).

As I said, per capita.

32 minutes ago, farangkinok said:

Nikki does speak very good English apparently.

I think my granddaughter's only had one Brit as her foreign English teacher. Previous teachers have been, in no particular order, Australian, South African, Moroccan, Canadian and British. The Moroccan guy Mr Habibi, was excellent.

40 minutes ago, Goat said:

I laugh at this.

The farang didnt build the house for the Thai people from the goodness of his heart. He bought it because he was having sex with a much better looking and younger female that would not have a bar of him back in his own country. 

He is getting the sex, she is getting the house.

And if you think that the whole village and indeed country should be grateful and show respect for some elderly whoremonger you are in dream world.

Do you respect all the foreign men who marry the young prostitutes in your home country? Should your government give them favorable treatment to encourage more mongers to marry more young prostitutes?

I think the hundreds of thousands of jobs provided by Japanese companies is a much bigger contribution to Thailand than buying little lazy single mum tattoed Lek from Issan a house in an area that wont be worth much anyway as it is overcapitalised. 

You told us all what we need to know and you revealed exactly who you are when you characterized every expat who lives here as being old, worthless and married to a prostitute. Hard to even reply to such bizarre, and ignorant nonsense. Get some education. Please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

You told us all what we need to know and you revealed exactly who you are when you characterized every expat who lives here as being old, worthless and married to a prostitute. Hard to even reply to such bizarre, and ignorant nonsense. Get some education. Please. 

He's renown for it, a lonely, bitter Aussie, shame really...........🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand provides prostitutes to the world, it's what the Thais are famous for.

I didn't make it that way, don't blame me or any other white men.

I tend to agree with that, and I usually use the word foreigner. Don't even respond to this guy, his level of ignorance is so astonishing that he's been elevated to the top of the heap, when it comes to the dumbest and most inane reply of the week. 

Granted there is a percentage of foreigners who come here and marry bar girls or prostitutes. But my guess is that it's the minority. And even so I don't hold it against the guy. Many of the younger and prettier women that have been with in America have slept with hundreds of men, so what's the difference? They usually slept with them for cash, gifts, and rewards. 

To imply that Western women are innocent and Thai women are guilty of being cunning manipulative and using their sexuality is fairly strange. Yes, Thais are more skillful, but only because they're in touch with their femininity and they realize how incredibly sexy that is to most men. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Granted there is a percentage of foreigners who come here and marry bar girls or prostitutes. But my guess is that it's the minority.

I was referring to your comment below.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats

These guys didnt meet them working in the farm up in Issan. They met them mostly in maassage shops, beer bars and gogos in Pattaya, Bangkok, Bangla etc etc

The young girls didnt marry the men because they are attracted to elderly overweight foreigners.

My guess is it is the majority, not the minority in these areas who have built the nice houses have married prostitutes.

And from the many I have come across over the years i have no doubt it is the majority.

This group is not a significant helper to the Thai economy overall. But it does allow the girl to retire early and often the foreigner gets drained for as much of his cash as she can get.

The much maligned Russians, Chinese and Indians dont fall for this generally. Mostly it is a farang problem.

• Sad 4
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of the younger and prettier women that have been with in America have slept with hundreds of men, so what's the difference?

You dont know the difference between picking up a girl who actually wants to have sex for enjoyment as opposed to paying a prostitute from poverty that will likely be repulsed and is doing it only for cash?

I would say there is a big difference.

But some, and many on this forum can not see the difference

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't you care if they were engaging in illegal activity , like banging well underaged  girls ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Goat said:

I was referring to your comment below.

These guys didnt meet them working in the farm up in Issan. They met them mostly in maassage shops, beer bars and gogos in Pattaya, Bangkok, Bangla etc etc

The young girls didnt marry the men because they are attracted to elderly overweight foreigners.

My guess is it is the majority, not the minority in these areas who have built the nice houses have married prostitutes.

And from the many I have come across over the years i have no doubt it is the majority.

This group is not a significant helper to the Thai economy overall. But it does allow the girl to retire early and often the foreigner gets drained for as much of his cash as she can get.

The much maligned Russians, Chinese and Indians dont fall for this generally. Mostly it is a farang problem.

The Australian expert talks........🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goat said:

You dont know the difference between picking up a girl who actually wants to have sex for enjoyment as opposed to paying a prostitute from poverty that will likely be repulsed and is doing it only for cash?

I would say there is a big difference.

But some, and many on this forum can not see the difference

😂.......Our very own Australian "Marjorie Proops" advises, yet hasn't found a partner, I wonder why, perhaps his Dan obsession.......😂