The reality

Reality can bite.

"Will hydrogen overtake batteries in the race for zero-emission cars?", by Jasper Jolly Feb. 13, 2024

https://www.theguardian.com/business/

• Batteries are already the post-petrol choice for almost every manufacturer.
  • Batteries’ domination is likely to be extended as the money pouring into research and infrastructure addresses questions of range and charging times. Compared with that flood of investment, hydrogen is a trickle.
  • Toyota acknowledges that hydrogen in cars has so far “not been successful”, mainly because of the lack of fuel supply, according to its technical chief, Hiroki Nakajima
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

You’ve obviously never sat in an EV, much less driven one.

You should try it sometime, before common here and exposing your ignorance.

Great video, very balanced.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Too late to edit, but for @ExpatOilWorker if you smashed your BMW, bent the wheels, had significant body panel damage and A pillar damage would you have to wait for parts? More than 32 days? How long would your "Performance Motors" stickers take to be reprinted? That is obviously the most important thing, as a BMW is nothing without the stickers....

You should try one of those BMWs - if you can afford them.

Most of them are fun, even without stickers.

Used-2018-BMW-M3-COMPETITION-PKG-4DR-SED

• Confused 2

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There should be no government support for BEVs, charging stations, end of life of real cars, etc.

If people want to buy EVs, ok, let them buy them. And if people choose real cars, that is also fine. Up to each individual.

Greata can walk. 

Agreed, nothing to do with climate control, I still believe it is all part of the future control. 15 minute cities, CBDC, etc. People may tell me to adjust the tin hat, but you only have to look towards the banks to see what is happening.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

yet you posted a  video from a  journalist (at best). The infrastructure isnt there and charging is too  slow. Id  take Sabines view over the bimbo woman.

i posted a vdo from the SAME LADY you did......so when u dont agree a woman becomes a bimbo...thanks for showing your true self 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The whole video is  about infrastructure but  keep playing stupid  fukkin games if u like

says the rabbit that uses "REALITY" as a header and vdo that headlines about EV.......whos playing the games here????.....

20 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I hate those touch buttons to 'press', give me a leaver I can feel, not something I'd have to glance down at or at least a proper button.

plenty of ladyboys in LOS if thats your thing 🙂  jk

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You should try one of those BMWs - if you can afford them.

Most of them are fun, even without stickers.

Bit of a silly and pointless dig there about affording them. Not going to get in to a pissing contest but I have owned much higher performance cars than any BMW.  And driven (rented) many more much higher performance supercars. Happy with my choices.

No doubt the M3's and M5's of this world are great cars but they've never really floated my boat. Maybe because they didn't have stickers on them, not sure. But your bog standard BMWs - 320, 325, 330, 520 etc do absolutely nothing for me, and I have test driven them in the past before choosing something else. And their diesels are appalling.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We have plenty of stickers. You want some?

Screenshot_20240424_073627_Gallery.jpg

Sticker-tastic! And glad to see your daughter is taking her safety seriously with the helmet, very nice.

I think you could do with a spirit level next time you apply stickers though....

• Confused 1

On 4/23/2024 at 8:06 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for sharing your superior knowledge. 

You are welcome. I'm more than willing to help older people to understand new technology.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, john donson said:

if you live in a condo...how do you charge your car ? lol

Just run a long extension cord from your Condo window/balcony down to the garage...so easy!

Or if you have that very small EV, then it'll probably fit in the elevator, so can actually charge in the room!

38 minutes ago, john donson said:

if you live in a condo...how do you charge your car ? lol

Some will suggest get away with it until someone complains.

Ultimately, you will not be a permitted to charge your car on 'co-owners' electricity.... Thus, you'd have to arrange (and pay for) a dedicated meter so you can pay separately. 

OR... the condo installs their own outlets (just a 240v regular plug) - and you use a 'log in device' such as an RFID card and your electricity usage is registered - you receive a bill monthly etc.

As EV usage increases - I imagine Condo's and Apartments will go this way and install extra power-points that run off some sort of meter which is paid for by the user.

11 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Just run a long extension cord from your Condo window/balcony down to the garage...so easy!

Or if you have that very small EV, then it'll probably fit in the elevator, so can actually charge in the room!

But you'd still be using electricity generated by hydrocarbons... :whistling:

So... Put SolarCells on the roof, and run the power down to your car charger from that.... :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

If you have no way to charge your car at home then an EV is not for you - it is not rocket science.

Has anyone ever claimed everybody should have an EV no matter what their circumstance? Why do people insist on coming up with ridiculous "what if" scenarios to support their anti EV stance?

If you can't charge one you shouldn't buy one. 

Next!

Next here...   think bigger picture....

What if scenario for you: What IF the whole idea of EV's is to have cleaner cities... then more in the city will be encouraged to have an EV.

More of those people in the inner cities will live in largo condo blocks and areas of high population density.

How will charing occur in Condo's when many more people or even most of the occupants have an EV ???

So...  while I agree, on the individual level its not rocket science, thinking beyond over simplified and dumbed down responses.... the issue is genuine... 

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Has anyone ever claimed everybody should have an EV no matter what their circumstance?

"No new petrol or diesel cars sold from 2030"  -   Ring a bell ???

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

More "what ifs". So allow me to "what if" too. 

What if governments mandated that all new condos need to provide EV charging? What if they also backdated that so existing condos need to add them? Condos also have councils and people pay common fees, so if the people want them they will be installed.

I don't think the whole world will be driving EVs any time soon, but they are continuing to grow in popularity, especially in cities (where most condos are). I imagine in future EV charging will be a selling point of a new condo. You live in Bangkok and a young family in five years' time want to buy one I expect EV charging will be a consideration in where they choose, and I also expect it will be a requirement to have charging stations for any new condo. Do I know this for a fact? No. But I expect it - it's my "what if".

Do you not expect this to change given the EV uptake? You are talking about condos that were built before EV popularity was a thing.

I agree...  Well done - nice big picture thinking there !!...

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

If you are talking of the UK it is 2035. And see my reply above.  You think they will mandate EVs without mandating charging infrastructure in buildings? I know the Tories are corrupt and useless but surely not that useless. Then again....

I'm guessing it'll keep getting nudged on....    

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/24/2024 at 12:46 AM, josephbloggs said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I recently had an accident in my wife's Honda HR-V. Nothing major, but a rear ender in traffic. It took six weeks to fix, and when I got it back the radiator was leaking so they took it back for another 10 days.

You have to wait for parts, I didn't go whining to a FB group.

Yeah a lad at work got into a fender bender in his 2023 Ford Ranger.

Needs new Hood/Headlights/RH Fender/RH Door.

Its has been at the repair center since November last year, still waiting for replacement parts.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2024 at 12:46 AM, josephbloggs said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I recently had an accident in my wife's Honda HR-V. Nothing major, but a rear ender in traffic. It took six weeks to fix, and when I got it back the radiator was leaking so they took it back for another 10 days.

You have to wait for parts, I didn't go whining to a FB group.

Is 32 days too long? It would definitely be nice to be quicker, but it is a relatively new brand expanding quickly in Thailand. And my legacy brand took longer for less damage than that.

Aren't we really scraping the barrel now with this post finding a single person who thought their repair took too long?? She has some pretty extensive panel damage. Do they keep those body panels sitting around in all colours in warehouses? No. Do Honda? No. Do BMW? No. She also looks to have some not insignificant A pillar damage, not an easy fix.

32 days "without fixing a nut"? They order parts, wait for them to arrive then fix everything, just as they did with my HR-V.

It is just nonsense.

Maybe the new more reasonable EOW is no more?

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 01.01.45.png

We had an oops, posted about elsewhere, and MG squared it all away in a timely manner.  Actually expected it to take longer.   Did the initial repair in about a month, then when test driving, noticed it needed more, so just another 2 weeks to rectify that.  Actually impressed with timing and workmanship.

Didn't need the car during that time, and why we have the scooter, for a bit of pleasure, and back up.

Edited by KhunLA