The reality

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Thailand is known to be one of the most unsafe countries worldwide when measured by the proportion of people who die in a road traffic accident. In its most recent global report (2018), the WHO ranks Thailand as the number 9 country with the highest road traffic death rate, with 32.7 deaths per 100,000 population (2018)

We know what the main causes of accidents are: motorcyclists not wearing a helmet, people drinking and driving, and speeding. These three risk behaviors, often combined, make traffic dangerous for both the drivers and the passengers, but also for pedestrians, bicyclists and other road users.

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/detail/03-01-2023-a-new-year-s-resolution--for-life

Once we have seen a major accident in Thailand resulting in a number of children deaths and the root cause of the accident was ev extreme acceleration I expect  the Government will pass laws that mandate acceleration be limited in EV

Acceleration and speeding are very different creatures.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Back home, insurance cost is based on a few things, including performance of the vehicle.

The acceleration of an EV would put it into a very high insurance bracket.

Also, I would expect to see more folk killed in an EV if they start using the available power and didn't know what they were doing.....

Anyone here got an EV in the UK, if so what is the insurance premium...?  🤗

Chinese EVs Become Virtually Uninsurable In UK Even Though There’s Nothing Wrong With Them

Lack of parts,  Long period off the road waiting for parts from China ,No documentation on how to repair vehicles, mismatch in the viability of repairs Chinese costs vs European Costs

No Supply Chain

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/chinese-evs-become-virtually-uninsurable-in-the-uk-says-report/

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Congratulations on forming an opinion, what is its relevance to the price of fish and chips ?

To fish and chips nothing other than perhaps recycled vegetable oil . But I understand the question raised is when will Govts. introduce an identified  levy ( tax ) on EV charging stations ? And will that extend to the  home charger plug in wall socket arrangements people have?

12 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Even if somehow electricity was taxed to the point where ev cost the same per km to run as an ice the ev still has better performance

The title of the thread is "Reality". EV's are one-trick ponies. 0 to whatever acceleration is their only trick. Or the only trick people keep harping on about. 

GWM Ora is quicker away from the lights but slower to 100kph/60 than a Suzuki Celerio.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

If governments choose to levy electricity they will.

i very much doubt they will levy electricity I produce

Even if somehow electricity was taxed to the point where ev cost the same per km to run as an ice the ev still has better performance and lower maintenance costs, so what exactly is your problem ?

Whoah Neddy ! Less assumptive aggression please! I am merely adding opinion to an aspect of ev operating costs that I have never seen mentioned  or "factored in ". I do not own an ev but I do agree that in most ways they have an advantage over ICE  vehicles. The simplist explanation  to support my approval is explained  just the same as  EV versus ICEV.

But more to the point of  road/highway taxes to offset  costs of creation or maintaining I have yet to see mention of  such imposed on ev.

The historical imposition of fuel taxes theoretically based on providing  transport corridors has long  been made illegitimate by use of  public taxpayer funds to create toll roads operated for profit .  OSY !

Regardless it is road user levies that keep wheels turning.

Best efficiency  is  rail !

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The title of the thread is "Reality". EV's are one-trick ponies. 0 to whatever acceleration is their only trick. Or the only trick people keep harping on about. 

GWM Ora is quicker away from the lights but slower to 100kph/60 than a Suzuki Celerio.

Does the typical owner of an ev require 100 kph in seconds in urban streets?

• Thumbs Up 1

Why can't  rational people come to terms with the fact that "horses for courses" still applies ?

Somewhere I recall reading that the average speed of a horse and carriage along the main street of New York in  the early  1900's was about  16 mph. 

Now supercars in traffic  average about  4 mph.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Chinese EVs Become Virtually Uninsurable In UK Even Though There’s Nothing Wrong With Them

Lack of parts,  Long period off the road waiting for parts from China ,No documentation on how to repair vehicles, mismatch in the viability of repairs Chinese costs vs European Costs

No Supply Chain

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/chinese-evs-become-virtually-uninsurable-in-the-uk-says-report/

Sounds like chaos in the BYD/MG after market service centers. Is it any different in Thailand 🇹🇭 or are the Chinese brands hanging their customers out to dry?

4 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

answer: no ...

neither a porsche, ferrari, lamborghini, mb or  even a transam ... but it is nice to have it ...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Sounds like chaos in the BYD/MG after market service centers. Is it any different in Thailand 🇹🇭 or are the Chinese brands hanging their customers out to dry?

Or are well funded lobby groups countering  competition  with  propaganda and bureaucratic  obstruction?

Perhaps not dis-similar to initial resistance to Japan then Korea then Taiwan then Chinese whatevers?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

answer: no ...

neither a porsche, ferrari, lamborghini, mb or  even a transam ... but it is nice to have it ...

Lol. True for those who desire the image. Unfortunately the reality so often featured not only in Thailand is that money .does not purchase driving competency .

20 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Whoah Neddy ! Less assumptive aggression please! I am merely adding opinion to an aspect of ev operating costs that I have never seen mentioned  or "factored in ". I do not own an ev but I do agree that in most ways they have an advantage over ICE  vehicles. The simplist explanation  to support my approval is explained  just the same as  EV versus ICEV.

But more to the point of  road/highway taxes to offset  costs of creation or maintaining I have yet to see mention of  such imposed on ev.

The historical imposition of fuel taxes theoretically based on providing  transport corridors has long  been made illegitimate by use of  public taxpayer funds to create toll roads operated for profit .  OSY !

Regardless it is road user levies that keep wheels turning.

Best efficiency  is  rail !

“Most” fuel tax simply goes into consolidated revenue, wherever it actually gets spent is anyone’s guess, most would agree that not enough is actually spent on actual roads.

As ice decline and ev increase (or hydrogen, fairy dust, moon rocks etc) obviously money will be required from someone, somewhere to maintain road infrastructure.

Im of the opinion that over the next 20 yrs ice are going to be taxed to the point of oblivion, people want and need to breathe clean air.

At that point, will ev or other options be seen as cash cows to be harvested… likely yes, or we can walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

“Most” fuel tax simply goes into consolidated revenue, wherever it actually gets spent is anyone’s guess, most would agree that not enough is actually spent on actual roads.

As ice decline and ev increase (or hydrogen, fairy dust, moon rocks etc) obviously money will be required from someone, somewhere to maintain road infrastructure.

Im of the opinion that over the next 20 yrs ice are going to be taxed to the point of oblivion, people want and need to breathe clean air.

At that point, will ev or other options be seen as cash cows to be harvested… likely yes, or we can walk.

Take it to the extreme then ...Will we be allowed outside ?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Real cars make vroom vroom, every toddler knows that! 😉 

What a nonsenses. Just stay beside a high-class ICE Car, hardly to hear the Engine running.

43 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

This would be the only reason why I would buy one.

Would love a Lucid Sapphire, sadly my pockets are not deep enough :sad:.

image.png.cc9380a6b9d27e82a3cd3a42f0db4fa4.png

1 hour ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Or are well funded lobby groups countering  competition  with  propaganda and bureaucratic  obstruction?

Perhaps not dis-similar to initial resistance to Japan then Korea then Taiwan then Chinese whatevers?

Looks like BYD has a service problem in Thailand 🇹🇭

FB_IMG_1713878958947.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_202907_Facebook.jpg

24 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Looks like BYD has a service problem in Thailand 🇹🇭

FB_IMG_1713878958947.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_202907_Facebook.jpg

I think the majority of parts for EV's  are supplied from China 

There will be a EV supply chain park opening at the end of this year

In current terms of economy, jobs supply chain ICE is the key provider example toyota hilux built in Thailand as built 90% from locally supported parts

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325045-chinese-firms-eye-ev-supply-chain-in-thailand’s-smart-park/#comment-18846391

• Like 1