Clever Finnish man beats the system....or does he?

17 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Prenups have been in Thailand for many many years--and are probably (if done properly ) the best way to protect assets. They have been around for that long that you dont even have to go to a lawyer now--just buy the package from law firms that specialize in them.   https://www.thailandlawonline.com/prenuptial-contract-th-en/prenuptial-contract

All these "BEST LEGAL"  ways to do things are only as "best"   as the family you marry into ,  and the moves you make accordingly .        Those with success stories almost always use their critical thinking and experience in making good choices.    Much more so than those thinking the law or lawyer is on their side.

Many stories on thaivisa if one has a month or two to read them all .............

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Prenups have been in Thailand for many many years--and are probably (if done properly ) the best way to protect assets. They have been around for that long that you dont even have to go to a lawyer now--just buy the package from law firms that specialize in them.   https://www.thailandlawonline.com/prenuptial-contract-th-en/prenuptial-contract

but can it be your asset if the laws prevent foreign ownership? I question they would hold up in court.

22 minutes ago, rumak said:

Maybe best NOT to get married,  but get a usufruct (for life)  on the title deed (if allowed by the Land office)  .     uhhhhh  like i have

but i have no illusions about what difficulties there would be if i wanted to kick the "owner" of the property off the land   🙂

what he did was kind of sneaky, got the usufruct then married after all the documents were signed. The woman was ok with it apparently. I'mm just curious what would happen in court if they got divorced and contested the house.

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm giving the wrong impression here. I don't mean Europeans aren't criminal, I simply observe a strong trust in laws within the Europeans (I mean American, Canadian etc... too) when compare to the Thai people.

In the mind of the Finnish guy Jay he has a piece of paper which gives him a sense of security because he believes the system will protect him. Thai people in my observation don't have this same trust because they know there is a corruption in the officials and the paper is only as good the person willing to enforce it, which may never happen.

I've never gone through the legal system in Thailand but I don't trust it because I see the Thai people themselves don't trust their authorities. That's my only point.

be cautious....very cautious .    very famous book called " A KILLING SMILE "   .    

Thais vary, just as they do elsewhere in the world. Some are trustworthy (I have even met some nice, honest policemen here), some should be part of someone else's life, not mine. I the wife signed the usufruct without batting an eye, a good sign. While prenups may be legal, I doubt whether a Thai family would have heard of it and would surely be suspicious (as in, are you trying to cheat my daughter?).

37 minutes ago, rumak said:

With the exception of being in control of selling it........

Yes, the Thai on the title deeds will need to agree to sell it.

Without him removing himself from the title deeds it is however useless to them, as they cannot use it without his consent, sell it, rent it, or do anything else to it. 

38 minutes ago, rumak said:

"kicking"  your legal wife/ husband out without a legal judgement .

With a usufruct on the property the Thai on the title deeds does not have a legal right to cohabit or reside on the property. 

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

With a usufruct on the property the Thai on the title deeds does not have a legal right to cohabit or reside on the property. 

This is where it's questionable to me. For all intensive purpose he owns the house and has full title to it. Is that not against the spirit of the law?

A few weeks ago I saw a story in Chiang Mai where an entire Chinese sub division got busted for fraudulent use of Thai nominee controlled businesses (can't find the link now). If it's so easy to simply to get a usufruct why didn't they just do that? Don't bother making a company or even transfer the land to a new owner.

Simply go to the land office and make a usufruct and now the foreigner has full rights? I wonder if the land office is fudging the law in order to issue these in the first place.

• Like 1

IMO the best way to have a hassle-free life in Thailand is to ensure one is worth more alive than dead.

I regard marriage to my long-term GF as an unnecessary complication.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Is that not against the spirit of the law?

No, it is the law.

It translates as having the rights to other's fruits. 

There is no skirting of the law. The land is 100% owned by a Thai. They just don't have any right to use it after giving a usufruct to someone. 

The Finn should have loaned the money for land and to build the house and registered a mortgage on the house and property, in addition to the usufruct. If things go south with sweety or her family, it will be a horrible place to live with all neighbors who don't like you. At least he can leave and still expect partial recovery of his funds through the mortgage, either periodic payments or a foreclosure. She could make monthly or annual payments on the mortgage, he could return the funds to her, if she is still a good girl. 

• Like 1

seems to me its thai for thai in LOS and HE is NOT thai....laws or not....its david vs goliath should he upset someone......you take on one thai--you take them all on...ive learned my lesson.....

I suppose as long as he is useful to them and they cash flows all is well....until it isnt.....I never spend money im not willing to walk away from in LOS.....I own nothing of large value here...and live simply

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

soi 3 and SRB  have "learned"  ......   and i guess i have as well .

our comments are not those of "bitter old men"  .   just maybe trying to give real life

examples , from which we (hopefully)  learnt .

don't think any of us will be taking the leap off any tall buildings ...........

12 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Simply go to the land office and make a usufruct and now the foreigner has full rights? I wonder if the land office is fudging the law in order to issue these in the first place.

Not as simple as "just going to land office"  and making a usufruct .   They can deny it or charge a fee ( percentage of the land value) .....depending on circumstances and/or their "discretion" . 

NR .... you really should consult me  ...... my fee is exactly the same as the value most people put on my advice  😅 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, freeworld said:

Prenups are part of the Civil code in Thailand

"Prenuptial agreements in Thailand, as a pre-marriage contract, are specifically governed by sections 1465 to 1469 of the Thailand Civil Code"

As usual ... depends. I had Thai Attorney draw up both a will and Prenup (which he said would be attached to the marriage registration). Got to the office to register the marriage and the official said ... No, it is against Thai Marriage Law. Would not budge.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have half a ream of signed paperwork by the Tessabarn to say if my wife dies before me they can't kick me out of the house also the yearly tax on my house is my name solely on the property (not the land)

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Fast forward 11 years and her behaviour had deteriorated and I'm out. On divorce, it was valued at over 4 million Thai Baht which she accepted as a value on divorce settlement in UK.

You had to give her 100% of the value of the land? Maybe that allowed you to keep your house  the UK though...

32 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I have half a ream of signed paperwork by the Tessabarn to say if my wife dies before me they can't kick me out of the house also the yearly tax on my house is my name solely on the property (not the land)

This seems more reasonable to me and likely to be enforced by a court. however, eventually you do need to transfer for it to living person I would imagine. So long as the family doesn't inherit the property while you're still in it and they kick you out before you can sell it etc...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

in 2004 for 400,000 Baht. My dream and hers, was always to build a nice house. Fast forward 11 years and her behaviour had deteriorated and I'm out. On divorce, it was valued at over 4 millio

and btw, what do you account for this 10x price increase in 11 years? I think land in Thailand may be in a bubble fueled by debt, which has largely peaked as people are so indebted today. It's not worth 40 million now is it? 2004 = 400k, 2015 = 4 mil, 2025 = 40 mil??

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

and btw, what do you account for this 10x price increase in 11 years? I think land in Thailand may be in a bubble fueled by debt, which has largely peaked as people are so indebted today. It's not worth 40 million now is it? 2004 = 400k, 2015 = 4 mil, 2025 = 40 mil??

I live in Issaan and was told by another Thai that people from Bangkok are buying land, which is forcing the price up

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Clever Finnish man beats the system....or does he? 

Whatever people think it doesn't matter . 

You want to be smart ,Yes 

Don't spend anymore money than you can afford to lose/walk away from ,It doesn't matter  in which country /situation you are.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2024 at 1:20 PM, NorthernRyland said:

My guess is that if there is a divorce the property will still be contested despite all the documents.

I agree with your guess.

I was on a course entitled 'Thai Law for Foreigners in Thailand' and the law lecturer said the same thing. ie the spirit of Thai law will override the letter of the law.

I have also witnessed court cases where the Thai was deemed innocent because the accuser was a foreigner.  The evidence was immaterial. In both cases, the evidence would have probably backed the Thai but it never reached that stage.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

You had to give her 100% of the value of the land? Maybe that allowed you to keep your house  the UK though...

The divorce was in the UK. The value of all our worldwide assets was added up and then halved. She got to keep the Thai land, I got to keep the Bangkok apartment (with a small adjusting payment to her) and we got half each of the UK house once that was sold. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

The divorce was in the UK. The value of all our worldwide assets was added up and then halved. She got to keep the Thai land, I got to keep the Bangkok apartment (with a small adjusting payment to her) and we got half each of the UK house once that was sold. 

11 years with a women and it costs half your assets. What a world...

• Thumbs Up 1