Tourist e-visa online

A friend of mine has booked a flight to Thailand for June and he is submitting an online visa application on the thai e-visa website. They are asking him an onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days, a photo not older than 6 months and a proof of accomodation. Can he just buy an onward ticket that is valid for 48 hours and upload the booking reservation to the online application? About the photo how can he upload it? It's fine to take a selfie with the phone? And about the proof of accomodation can he book an hotel for a week and after they approve his visa application just cancel the booking free of charge? Let me know thanks

They also ask him about the job but he prefers not to mention his company. Can he just choose any job that he doesn't do?

Edited by Jack1988

4 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Can he just buy an onward ticket that is valid for 48 hours and upload the booking reservation to the online application?

Yes.  Maybe better to buy a fully refundable ticket or even a cheap real ticket and bin it later.

About the photo how can he upload it? It's fine to take a selfie with the phone?

Yes

And about the proof of accomodation can he book an hotel for a week and after they approve his visa application just cancel the booking free of charge?

Yes.

Can he just choose any job that he doesn't do?

They are really trying to put off tourists it seems.  No idea, just say anything reasonably credible.

My friend uploaded a photo of the passport but the system tells him that is unable to read data on middle name but he doesn't have a middle name on his passport. Can he ignore it and just complete the application? He is afraid that the embassy could reject his paid visa

That photograph is "meant" to be a passport style image

On the two applications I did it came up on screen as I uploaded it "meets passport requirements" (or very simiilar words)

As regards accomodation I just copied and pasted airbnb address (translated from thai to English)

The embassy wont reject outright the visa application but doubtless can ask for clarity on something else uploaded or missed out completely

Several guys in the early days noted that if you write anything in a particular section the application at least gets uploaded anyway

Edited by Chivas
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2024 at 11:12 AM, Jack1988 said:

They are asking him an onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days

I always travel to Thailand on a TR60 E-visa and invariably get a 30-day extension towards the end of my stay. In those cases, my return ticket (submitted with the application) has always been over 60 days. I have done this approximately eight times with no problems.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2024 at 11:12 AM, Jack1988 said:

It's fine to take a selfie with the phone?

This is what I do - I take it at home against a plain light background and so it does look like a passport photo. However, the website often warns me in a pop-up that it may be rejected because there is more than one person in the photo (!!!) but I just carry on and it is never an issue.

I downsize and print the same portrait on to photographic paper and use it for my extensions.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

That photograph is "meant" to be a passport style image

On the two applications I did it came up on screen as I uploaded it "meets passport requirements" (or very simiilar words)

As regards accomodation I just copied and pasted airbnb address (translated from thai to English)

The embassy wont reject outright the visa application but doubtless can ask for clarity on something else uploaded or missed out completely

Several guys in the early days noted that if you write anything in a particular section the application at least gets uploaded anyway

I mean the biodata page of the passport, not the photo. When the system scans his passport info tells him that is unable to read data on middle name but my friend doesn't have any middle name

1 hour ago, Jack1988 said:

I mean the biodata page of the passport, not the photo. When the system scans his passport info tells him that is unable to read data on middle name but my friend doesn't have any middle name

Take a clearer picture of the passport data page and try again. Most likely that issue is due to reflections or poor lighting. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I always travel to Thailand on a TR60 E-visa and invariably get a 30-day extension towards the end of my stay. In those cases, my return ticket (submitted with the application) has always been over 60 days. I have done this approximately eight times with no problems.

I've had 2 and both times they were one way tickets uploaded

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Take a clearer picture of the passport data page and try again. Most likely that issue is due to reflections or poor lighting. 

It's very diificult to avoid reflections if you take a photo with a camera/phone unless you have a polarizing filter as the biometric page (of a UK passport) is glossy. Far better to use a scanner.

• Thumbs Up 1

My friend has successfully uploaded all papers to the online application but he doesn't know what type of ticket out of thailand to buy. Do you think it is too expensive to buy a flexible ticket around 65 USD? At least he could cancel it later and take money back. He doesn't really trust on buying dummy ticket even is much cheaper

15 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Do you think it is too expensive to buy a flexible ticket around 65 USD? At least he could cancel it later and take money back. He doesn't really trust on buying dummy ticket even is much cheaper

What! 

Up to him. Buy a cheapest throw away ticket.

Can't your "friend" decide. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 6:12 PM, Jack1988 said:

and a proof of accomodation.

When submitting a tourist e-visa online can I book just one night accommodation for the first night , as I want to travel to all over Thailand, it's just to hard to work it all out otherwise ,,,thanks for any help. Regards Popa

On 5/5/2024 at 9:30 AM, popabear said:

When submitting a tourist e-visa online can I book just one night accommodation for the first night , as I want to travel to all over Thailand, it's just to hard to work it all out otherwise ,,,thanks for any help. Regards Popa

My friend booked 7 nights hotel accomodation just to avoid any issues with the application. They approved his tourist e-visa yesterday and he cancelled the booking for free after the visa approval. Everything ok with the requested documents! 

On 4/27/2024 at 8:18 PM, Jack1988 said:

My friend uploaded a photo of the passport but the system tells him that is unable to read data on middle name but he doesn't have a middle name on his passport. Can he ignore it and just complete the application? He is afraid that the embassy could reject his paid visa

Yeah, same thing happened to me, can't recall how I got around it, but this new e-Visa is a bit of a nightmare at the moment. Guess its teething stage, but its not as straight forward as it use to be when ou popped into your City's Thai Consulate office

4 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Yeah, same thing happened to me, can't recall how I got around it, but this new e-Visa is a bit of a nightmare at the moment. Guess its teething stage, but its not as straight forward as it use to be when ou popped into your City's Thai Consulate office

Don't worry, they approved the visa to my friend anyway. If you put all the correct passport info into the online application you don't have to be worried!