Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Really?

Yes I'm afraid so, checked ATO on line, it wasn't easy to find, also because I rec a spitl pension with NZ, the NZ component would stop because the arrangement only existed because I lived in Australia,  mutual deal.

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

I know of 2 in Pattaya who had to pay back the 'over claimed' UK pension when the Gov found out where they lived  :sad:

If they are living solely on a UK pension ask them what would have happened if they refused to pay any money back.

They cannot take any money from their state pension.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, retarius said:

Well move back there then. Don't whine on AN.

If he moved back to the UK he would soon lose out by having to pay extortionate power bills.  Or he could stop eating or even end up being one of the thousands of old folk who die from cold related illnesses every winter.

27 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

When my proof of life form came to me here I had to get signed and with a official stamp.

I went to Pattaya beach road police station where there is a officer who is assigned to do this and paid 200 baht plus a tip.

He duly completed the relevant section on the form in English and plonked the official Thai police stamp under his signature.

Lawyers, doctors etc can also do this if you can find one.

DWP send out the proof of life forms at random to your official address you registered with them, there is a time limit for you to respond, no response and your pension payments are stopped.

Why do you tip a policeman doing his job?

5 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

The UK's policy is easy to understand. 

If you're in Thailand you don't contribute anything to UK. You're not consuming nor buying anything in UK.

And if people complaining about coming hospital expenses in the future, then I've to ask why you don't have any insurance? If you cannot afford just stay in UK. Even there you'll have hot summers.🙏

Yes two weeks out of the full year if you are lucky.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

If they are living solely on a UK pension ask them what would have happened if they refused to pay any money back.

They cannot take any money from their state pension.

But, if you get caught they reduce your pension to what the amount should have been when they say you left, my friend had to pay the over payments back. What happens if you have no money, dunno...But fore sure, if they have the evidence, you will not still get the pension of the day..

UK revenue, has fines, caught fiddling the pension is/was 1000 quid. Late tax return, 100 quid. 😢

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Already the lowest pension in Europe. I am still on the same rate as in 2009 plus the fact that my wife's allowance has been taken away also which leaves a pretty paltry sum.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Leaving unions affects finances in a big way. 

Of Scotland leaves UK, the English will lose lots in oil revenue, and Scots will get better pensions, for example. 

Even with a stinking rich multimillionaire "Sir" as a First Minister?? Dream on. He will be too busy looking after his own.

• Agree 2

It has been like that for years, this is nothing either new or news worthy. When you apply, assuming you are living overseas, they give you a rate and that never increases. It does increase if you live in a select few European countries but otherwise it is static. It is what is called discrimination by most people.

30 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

If one has an age pension and a passport,  within 24 hrs I received an email noting I had left the Country. My passport was flagged so I was done, if my passport failed to pop up as being back in country inside 6 weeks my pension was stopped untill I had satisfied them with an answer. I was stuck in Thailand for 10 weeks because Airport on Koh Samui was closed during early Covid days. Centerlink accepted my reason and noted that I  was registered with Australian Embassy for a flight home.

Sounds like you hadn’t yet qualified for portability. Correct?

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why do you tip a policeman doing his job?

It's not his duty but doing a favour. He could have sent you to a lawyer instead.

So 200 Baht for tea money is ok. Btw I did the same.

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

They both (totally separately) fell foul of the Tax authorities in the UK - and were investigated  

I think there is a lot more to this than what's been said.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I see what you're saying, enter the UK on your expired UK Passport and then leave on your valid Thai Passport... 

This Reddit thread seems to suggest that the UK does not have exit border controls save for "Random" checks which it wouldn't surprise me weren't triggered by something like somebody leaving the UK on a Non-UK Passport that they didn't enter with...

I don't see what they could do to you for doing so except maybe log the fact that you have left the UK.   

Airlines send passengers lists to the UK Government and so they know who is leaving , so although you may not have to physically show a passport , you would still need to have a passport to leave 

• Agree 1

'and it's possible to open a Philippine bank account on line without even going to the Philippines. 

Have you done this, or know someone who has, who is NOT a Filipino?

I have lived here 15 years and the requirements to open an account are strict, even a foreigner here on a 60 day visa can't open one so it's difficult to believe that Anyone, living Anywhere can. As you asked some one earlier..... Link please! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, itsari said:

What do you think is the consequence of defrauding the Bitish Government going to be ?Send you some roses perhaps?

I have read that the consequences are that retirement payments will cease. 

No one can take any money of your state pension. See the DWP website.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Could you leave the UK on a Thai Passport if you didn't enter using it? 

There are no embarkation controls leaving the UK, but you would be better showing the carrier the Thai passport to satisfy them that you can enter Thailand without restrictions or need a return ticket.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Already the lowest pension in Europe. I am still on the same rate as in 2009 plus the fact that my wife's allowance has been taken away also which leaves a pretty paltry sum.

A pensioner now aged 90 would be on £64.70 per week, utterly disgusting.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

Lucky you. Mine is 4000 pounds. Can you explain the difference?

So is mine. If you have been in the same job all your working life, even working for different companies, you could easily end up with about 12000 GBP a year state pension.

For those of you that are already living here, as far as the uk gov is concerned, youve missed the boat I'm afraid. For those who are thinking about retiring in Thailand, here's some advice on how to keep your pension up to date.

1) Keep your UK bank account open to use for the payment of your pension

2)You need an address where HM Gov can write to you (a family member, an ex wife who still loves you😄 for example) who will e-mail you the correspondence, particularly life certs, which you can download, print and get the local pharmacist, for example,to sign and stamp.

3)You have 16 weeks from the date of the letter accompanying the certificate, to return the certificate IN THE BROWN ENVELOPE, which your co conspirator must keep and post when he/she receives the signed cert from you.

4)Keep a record of the dates of correspondence in case you get a letter from HM gov asking you where you have been living for the last year. You have to tell them you were in Thailand when you were sent the L.C. for example.

I don't believe that you will be asked for proof of where you were living (I wasn't), just make sure you don't drop yourself in it. Remember that the Pension service is very busy and that they're not going to waste time chasing a few quid. In 12 years I've never been asked why some of .my life certificates have been signed in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, transam said:

But, if you get caught they reduce your pension to what the amount should have been when they say you left, my friend had to pay the over payments back. What happens if you have no money, dunno...But fore sure, if they have the evidence, you will not still get the pension of the day..

UK revenue, has fines, caught fiddling the pension is/was 1000 quid. Late tax return, 100 quid. 😢

I don't believe that Trans, I think there are things you have not been told. No one can take 1000 Quid from your state pension, as myself and others have said.

Guys, can you explain something to me? I have talked with many UK or European citizens, but I have not see a single person who was happy that state money flowing to the new illegal immigrants. But your governments still doing this, despite of wishes of majority of citizens. You live in democracy, so why not choose the ones who will follow wishes of people (or force the current government to do so)?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

I believe you're misinformed. Oz Age Pension is payable in full, according to compliance criteria, whilst living in Thailand.

Centre link has two rates for old age pension. Full rate, inc some allowances, for those living in Oz and a lower rate (without the allowances) for those overseas. The rates are on their website. 

Centre link also gets info from immigration computers and is well aware of recipients travel movements 

• Agree 1