How do you define intelligence ?

22 hours ago, Wrwest said:

There you go ... taking my mind off to reflect on the potential for AI. much more capable than many humans are capable of dealing with ...

I've proved AI to be wrong several times, or incapable of answering some questions. Gemini uses the cop-out " I'm only a language model".

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In a man, the ability to think with the big head before the small head.

So, you are here describing the difference between...

a. General Intelligence

and...

b. Alien Intelligence

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've always understood that a female's intelligence was in inverse proportion to her breast size. Perhaps that's why so many men like women with huge bras.

Clearly incorrect.  By your logic, the ones with those disgusting fake breasts would have had small breasts, so they would have a high IQ. Clearly incorrect. You'd have to qualify your argument so that only low IQ women would get fake breasts.

8 hours ago, Presnock said:

I sure hope you are not inferring that Trump supporters can think for themselves!  Americans seem to have lost that concept when it come to voting... and whoever chooses the candidates for the last 40 years in my opinion but I can honestly say I have never voted Democrat nor did I vote for Trump and I will not vote for any current candidates for either party...maybe the country should go to the likes of those countries putting up 10 or more candidates and start narrowing them down...but then again honest, patriotic, not favored by the big $$$$ contributors.  OVer the cliff, down the drain seems to be the only option this year again!!!

Did you mean to say implying? 

Opinions aren't definitions. 

Contrary to popular belief, intelligence has been easily and accurately measured with IQ tests for well over a hundred years, and every ten years or so, the tests need to be made more difficult to keep the average 100. 

Definitions are definitions. 

Intelligence.png.1d8f324764765546b83cb1eca9f7032e.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is the point of lots of people, most without specialty knowledge, to define intelligence?

I prefer to look how experts defined it. Because then, when we talk about intelligence, we all talk about the same thing and not about different things which we individually decided to call intelligence.

Intelligence - Wikipedia

And obviously more intelligent people are not by definition better people. They are more intelligent, maybe in only some areas. And that's it.

My father was a very intelligent man, even headed a government department at one stage, but lacking in common sense.

Soooooo, was being intelligent better than having common sense?

I don't care if someone has 5 degrees and knows a load of stuff if they are dumb as a rock when it comes to real life. An ex friend of long standing was extremely intelligent and was an editor earning over $90 an hour, but smoked weed for 40 years and it made him bat doo crazy- lost his family, lost his house, lost land he owned, lost me. So much for being intelligent.

8 hours ago, gargamon said:

Clearly incorrect.  By your logic, the ones with those disgusting fake breasts would have had small breasts, so they would have a high IQ. Clearly incorrect. You'd have to qualify your argument so that only low IQ women would get fake breasts.

IMO only women with already large breasts want even bigger breasts, so IMO I am still correct. An intelligent woman wouldn't mutilate themselves.

BTW I do not equate IQ with intelligence.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No. That is knowledge. 

Agree. People think having a degree indicates high intelligence, but IMO it is just knowing a lot of stuff. Intelligence is designing a computer chip, or a space station, or knowing how to grow food, or painting a great picture. Knowing how to use a computer to make money isn't intelligence IMO.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Using that definition, there are many dumb as rocks foreigners here.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My father was a very intelligent man, even headed a government department at one stage, but lacking in common sense.

Soooooo, was being intelligent better than having common sense?

I don't care if someone has 5 degrees and knows a load of stuff if they are dumb as a rock when it comes to real life. An ex friend of long standing was extremely intelligent and was an editor earning over $90 an hour, but smoked weed for 40 years and it made him bat doo crazy- lost his family, lost his house, lost land he owned, lost me. So much for being intelligent.

I thought the question of this thread is how do you define intelligence.

What you write is that an intelligent person isn't necessary someone with common sense, success in life, etc. 

Yes, correct. But it has nothing to do with the definition. 

14 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Using that definition, there are many dumb as rocks foreigners here.

After they let their small head lead the way they need the bigger head to manage the situation. 😉 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

After they let their small head lead the way they need the bigger head to manage the situation. 😉 

There's more than a few foreigners sitting in a dusty Isaan village wondering "how could I have been so stupid?"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

There's more than a few foreigners sitting in a dusty Isaan village wondering "how could I have been so stupid?"

Are those the same guys who tell us in this forum that they love their simple life in the rice fields?

2491195.jpg

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are those the same guys who tell us in this forum that they love their simple life in the rice fields?

2491195.jpg

I made the mistake myself over 15 yrs ago. I had more money than sense. The closer to retirement I got the more I realized I had F####d up. 2 months at a time was tolerable but full time........... Packed up the truck with ole lady and kid and moved on far away. 

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I made the mistake myself over 15 yrs ago. I had more money than sense. The closer to retirement I got the more I realized I had F####d up. 2 months at a time was tolerable but full time........... Packed up the truck with ole lady and kid and moved on far away. 

If you have the money, then you change to a better life.

It seems there are too many guys who spent all their money on "their" house and then there is no way out of that situation anymore.

• Agree 1

On 4/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Its ability to think for yourself.

take Biden supporters for example. Zero intelligence. Anyone who can support that is obviously not capable of thinking on their own terms. All they do is ingest what others spoon feed them. That’s lack of intelligence 

If you are not a comedian you should be.

28 minutes ago, pomchop said:

If you are not a comedian you should be.

IMO he is extracting the urine, as his description fits Trump supporters to a T.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree. People think having a degree indicates high intelligence, but IMO it is just knowing a lot of stuff. Intelligence is designing a computer chip, or a space station, or knowing how to grow food, or painting a great picture. Knowing how to use a computer to make money isn't intelligence IMO.

Only fools think having a degree indicates high intelligence. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought the question of this thread is how do you define intelligence.

What you write is that an intelligent person isn't necessary someone with common sense, success in life, etc. 

Yes, correct. But it has nothing to do with the definition. 

The question is boring. Everyone will have their own definition. Is intelligence determined by how much money we make or by how much or little common sense we have?

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

2491195.jpg

I liked living in the village. I only had to move because of the ratbag nephews. As a way of life it's far more intelligent than living in a toxic city.

The open air restaurant I ate at had a wonderful view of sunsets over the rice paddies and the food was far better than the over processed muck in city restaurants.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO he is extracting the urine, as his description fits Trump supporters to a T.

Here we have someone with TDS.

We know who they are because they keep talking about Trump in every thread, regardless of whether or not the topic is about Trump.

• Love It 1

This is a very rich topic. I prefer practical intelligence over book learning, and I prefer street smarts over a very high intellect. I've known super intelligent people that were very neurotic, had a lot of issues, weren't much fun to be around, and didn't have particularly good attitudes. On the other hand my Thai gal is super intelligent but, not intellectual. Her mind is like a sieve, her memory is incredible, she can fix something just by looking at it, take it apart put it back together like a structural engineer. All of this without a university education. She thinks on her feet, is a great problem solver, and just has a huge IQ when it comes to practical intelligence.

That is very nice to be around.