How do you define intelligence ?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You really must be having a bad day.

Why?

I know what a high IQ is about, and have an idea about emotional intelligence and street smart, etc.

They are all different "things".

As far as I know the subject of this thread is to define intelligence, not about street smarts and not about anybody with high intelligence is happier or more successful, etc.

It should be obvious that high intelligence can be useful in life. But that alone doesn't make people happy. 

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why?

I know what a high IQ is about, and have an idea about emotional intelligence and street smart, etc.

As far as I know the subject of this thread is to define intelligence, not about street smarts and not about anybody with high intelligence is happier or more successful, etc.

It should be obvious that high intelligence can be useful in life. But that alone doesn't make people happy. 

Agreed. I have tertiary qualifications, and can claim a number of creative solutions to problems in my field of expertise. AFAIK one of them is still in use 40 years after its inception.

Having said that, my Thai GF is way ahead of me in street smarts and negotiating skills.

I've known some highly intelligent people who were utterly miserable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How does anybody measure this huge IQ of practical intelligence?

It is the easiest form of intelligence to measure, intellectual intelligence is far more difficult and abstract. Practical intelligence you just see it, it manifests itself as solutions and ideas, sometimes multiple times a day, for issues and problems that come up.

I consider myself intelligent, but sometimes I'll have to ponder something for hours that she is able to find a solution for in seconds. For me that is the essence of practical intelligence, and for me it is by far the best kind of intelligence to have. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Having said that, my Thai GF is way ahead of me in street smarts and negotiating skills.

Same with my gf in Thailand. And she has two major advantages. She speaks Thai, and lives in Thailand since her birth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is the easiest form of intelligence to measure, intellectual intelligence is far more difficult and abstract. Practical intelligence you just see it, it manifests itself as solutions and ideas, sometimes multiple times a day, for issues and problems that come up.

I consider myself intelligent, but sometimes I'll have to ponder something for hours that she is able to find a solution for in seconds. For me that is the essence of practical intelligence, and for me it is by far the best kind of intelligence to have. 

So how do you measure it?

On 4/29/2024 at 5:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

So much about the definition of intelligence... 

If there are 100 posters on this thread there will be 100 definitions.

IMO there are people with good memories that get degrees, but thick as 2 short planks together, and there are people that never got a degree, but are very successful at problem solving.

I don't give a fig about IQ, but I do respect people that solve real life problems. They are the "intelligent ones" IMO.

On 4/29/2024 at 5:28 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why?

You do know that this subforum is called "the Pub" don't you? It's not a meeting of the UN.

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You do know that this subforum is called "the Pub" don't you? It's not a meeting of the UN.

Then maybe the subject should be: What are important qualities which you like to see in your friends? Do you care how smart they are?

On 4/27/2024 at 6:03 AM, Dionigi said:

I agree with the last line. If you are measureing the IQ of americans then the average has to be 100. That is the baseline for average.

Not so long ago a British politician was complaining about education and was horrified to find that nearly half of schools were below average. "Not good enough" he said....

On 4/29/2024 at 9:45 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Sometimes the small head is more intelligent than the big head. At least a small head knows what it has to do.

And when to call it quits and give it a rest occasionally. 

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

Not so long ago a British politician was complaining about education and was horrified to find that nearly half of schools were below average. "Not good enough" he said....

The joke really only works if he "...was horrified to find that nearly half of schools were below..." the median. 

On 4/26/2024 at 9:18 PM, TheFatOne said:

Easy to spot, yet so difficult to define.

Tell me what the concept means to you.

Not hiding cocaine in a passport

• Agree 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:03 PM, Dionigi said:

I agree with the last line. If you are measureing the IQ of americans then the average has to be 100. That is the baseline for average.

Drill down a bit....  I would reclassify that as book smark.   Street Stupid !   and it becomes more apparent with the younger gen.

12 hours ago, mrfill said:

Any teacher will tell us that the secret to increasing school outcomes is to throw more money at schools ( and of course teachers ). They must think we are so stupid that we will believe that.

I had a lot of very bad teachers during my school days, and it's no wonder I left school with no qualifications and learned little. All my real learning has been my own endeavor and courses since I left school.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:14 PM, Keep Right said:

OK, I have a definition. Anyone that you see on a motorbike in Thailand is not intelligent, rather stupid in many ways. Therefore, if you do not ride a motorbike in Thailand, you are intelligent. Hows that for a definition.

I would not say that every Thai riding a motorbike is not intelligent. But the biggest majority certainly aren't.

Here's a thought, what is the difference between being intelligent and having common sense.

Intelligence is a multifaceted concept that encompasses various abilities and capacities beyond just adaptability or mere existence. At its core, intelligence involves the capability to effectively understand, analyze, and navigate the world around us, whether it's through problem-solving, creativity, emotional understanding, or interpersonal interactions.

Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences suggests that intelligence is not solely dependent on a single factor, such as linguistic or logical-mathematical abilities, but rather consists of a range of distinct cognitive capacities. These intelligences include linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and naturalistic intelligences. Each of these intelligences represents different ways in which individuals perceive, understand, and interact with the world.

Emotional intelligence, as conceptualized by Daniel Goleman, adds another layer to our understanding of intelligence by emphasizing the importance of recognizing and managing emotions, both in oneself and in others. It comprises skills such as self-awareness, self-regulation, empathy, social awareness, and relationship management. Emotional intelligence enables individuals to navigate social complexities, make sound decisions, and foster meaningful relationships, thus contributing significantly to overall success and well-being.

Therefore, intelligence can be viewed as a multifaceted construct that encompasses various cognitive and emotional abilities, as highlighted by Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences and Goleman's work on emotional intelligence. It's not just about adaptation or mere existence but about the capacity to engage with the world in diverse ways, understand oneself and others, and effectively navigate the complexities of life.

4 minutes ago, Nokwho said:

Intelligence is a multifaceted concept that encompasses various abilities and capacities beyond just adaptability or mere existence. At its core, intelligence involves the capability to effectively understand, analyze, and navigate the world around us, whether it's through problem-solving, creativity, emotional understanding, or interpersonal interactions.

Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences suggests that intelligence is not solely dependent on a single factor, such as linguistic or logical-mathematical abilities, but rather consists of a range of distinct cognitive capacities. These intelligences include linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and naturalistic intelligences. Each of these intelligences represents different ways in which individuals perceive, understand, and interact with the world.

Emotional intelligence, as conceptualized by Daniel Goleman, adds another layer to our understanding of intelligence by emphasizing the importance of recognizing and managing emotions, both in oneself and in others. It comprises skills such as self-awareness, self-regulation, empathy, social awareness, and relationship management. Emotional intelligence enables individuals to navigate social complexities, make sound decisions, and foster meaningful relationships, thus contributing significantly to overall success and well-being.

Therefore, intelligence can be viewed as a multifaceted construct that encompasses various cognitive and emotional abilities, as highlighted by Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences and Goleman's work on emotional intelligence. It's not just about adaptation or mere existence but about the capacity to engage with the world in diverse ways, understand oneself and others, and effectively navigate the complexities of life.

Well, there's not many of those on here, including myself..........😝

• Agree 1

Intelligence is the ability to pass an intelligence test! That’s all.

We are all beings, but humans have more intelligence, difference between us and animals.

Academics might be bright but emotionally a dunce! I have seen many can’t form a relationship in the West but come to Thailand and buy their way into a relationship!

For me it’s about knowing your true self; inner self; able to live peacefully. Living a way of life to not be reincarnated again.

I  Struggle with that but try to. We’ve all got inherited plus accumulated karma!

On 5/4/2024 at 1:17 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Anyone can add 2+2

The ability to read situations and perceive correctly = intelligence

On 5/4/2024 at 2:06 PM, scottiejohn said:

Not by mental arithmetic in Thailand!

Most Thais need a calculator for that!

😆

but they don't need anything to understand that they are being mocked by someone who does not like them

• Confused 1

On 5/5/2024 at 4:25 PM, NoshowJones said:

I would not say that every Thai riding a motorbike is not intelligent. But the biggest majority certainly aren't.

Here's a thought, what is the difference between being intelligent and having common sense.

Common sense is of more use.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2024 at 11:25 AM, NoshowJones said:

So the "biggest majority" are not intelligent, so we can assume that smaller majority are intelligent? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

So the "biggest majority" are not intelligent, so we can assume that smaller majority are intelligent? 

Yes!

You of course fall into the majority category if we go by the content of most of your posts!

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, like my wife.

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Yes!

You of course fall into the majority category if we go by the content of most of your posts!

Exactly! Yes! For Sure! You are right!!!!!!!!