Heatwave and Climate Change Puts Pressure on Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

NOBODY here is talking about LOCAL Climate change.

Where have you been during the past 40 or 50 years?

We are destabilizing what has, for over 10,000 years, been a stable climate system.

Instabilities such as this can easily lead to famine when crops lose productivity at temperatures only slightly warmer than they are now.

We are already losing productivity due to rising mean temperatures....

image.png.f87ee4436d25b8c4afb994e3c3ad6e7c.png

The arrogance of humans knows no  bounds....just because we have fancy instruments and take more data, does not give us the right to determine if there is climate change!  God, the tailless monkeys really need to get back to wars and back stabbing each other, instead of trying to change the climate.  There is no Climate Change, it is just trendy to use that term.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

You don't even have to listen to the scientists, though, just use your own eyes and observational skills.

I've been a kayak-enthusiast and diver/freediver for decades now, and have witnessed, with my own eyes, the destruction of the marine habitat. Warming oceans, coral bleaching, decimated marine life, the 'plastic-tsunami'..

It's all real,  beyond any doubt.

You put all the different issues and origins in 1 big pot, to then agree with it, that is as stupid. And listen to what scientists? The real ones actually say that our input on what is going on, is so small, and our change is so insignificant, that nothing will change regardless to the outcome. Neither was it caused by us.

What we can do is adapt to how climate is today, or in the future. That is a different subject. Same with killing all marine life by over fishing. Some hoomans diving and checking corals, to see changes, negative in the moment of their few decades on a planet that was there for ......... ever.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is going to be Thailand's Achilles heel... The infrastructure here is already under significant stress... Fresh water rationing, unreliable and uneven energy delivery (see Koh Samui), increasing brown outs almost everywhere. And with over tourism continuing unabated, you can rest assured that it will be the fulltime residents and citizens who will be the most impacted (and sooner and more frequently then anyone wants to admit).

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand has been hammered by searing heatwaves this year, leading to dire consequences such as infrastructure failures and a rise in fatalities. These weather events have offered a stark glimpse into the potential impacts of climate change on the country. 

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Talk about stating the BLEEDING OBVIOUS!

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You put all the different issues and origins in 1 big pot, to then agree with it, that is as stupid. And listen to what scientists? The real ones actually say that our input on what is going on, is so small, and our change is so insignificant, that nothing will change regardless to the outcome. Neither was it caused by us.

What we can do is adapt to how climate is today, or in the future. That is a different subject. Same with killing all marine life by over fishing. Some hoomans diving and checking corals, to see changes, negative in the moment of their few decades on a planet that was there for ......... ever.

Maybe that made sense in your mind, I doubt to anyone else..

I was talking about the human impact on our eco-system.

Are you saying that most of the worlds coastlines, now littered with plactic debris is not caused by humans?

Hardly small or insignificant...

I could go on and on, but I'm probably speaking to deaf ears in your case...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I just hope that everybody here is paying attention to:

INCREASING Water Vapor levels in the atmosphere due to Global Warming.

Water vapor is one of the stronger greenhouse gasses.

Therefore, it, by itself, might be thought of as a positive feedback loop.  The hotter the temperature, the more water vapor in the atmosphere, and the more water vapor, the hotter the atmosphere will become due to water vapor being a greenhouse gas.

Then, of course, higher Relative Humidity leads to heat stress when it becomes less easy to evaporate sweat from skin, causing overheating of the body.

Obviously, society must do more to adjust to a world of 2 degrees C above 1850 baseline.  When will we hit 2 degrees C?  Well, the rate of change, the intensity, is increasing.

Let's all choose the most dire scenario, the worst-case model, and then we can see that it might be just one decade before we hit 2 degrees C, when we all agreed to 1.5 degrees C.

We need to insulate our houses.

And, we need to plant trees like crazy.

And, we need to remove inefficient buildings.

Doing this, we can reduce the heat-island effect.

And, we might be able to live in a world of 2 degrees above, for a short period of time, until....

We hit 2.5 degrees above, and then...

We reach 3.0 degrees above, and so on.

Soon, fairly soon, where we live will no longer be inhabitable.

(It's not IF, but WHEN.)

It might all happen, but not in my life🙏

20 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

This is summer right?  It does get hot as far as I can tell since day 1 on this planet.  What was the excuse hundreds of years before humans started taking temperatures? 

Please move on....there is nothing we can do about the heat during the Summer season, except stay cool and get on with life.

Stop blaming everything on Climate Change, which is pure BS.

Insurance companies don't think climate change is BS, and they employ qualified people to assess the risk. Which is why premiums are skyrocketing in vulnerable areas.

Pro tip: Don't buy real estate in Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

On average, scientists constitute about 0.5% of the world's population. It is even fewer when one takes stock of the number of scientists and engineers who have training in thermodynamics, which has been removed from quite a few academic syllabi as too difficult. It's a highly specialized field.

Climate change is the result of the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics in operation. As humans, we would have to totally change what we do in everyday life, to halt and reverse what is going to happen in the next 50 years.

It takes political will. The Montreal Protocol of 1987 succeeded in repairing the hole in the ozone layer. Without it, we would probably all be sporting melanomas.

I don't know about ending organised human life. The rich will survive, poorer people will either adapt or die.

Not even the rich can live without clean water, food and breathable air.

We will not perish as a race, I think, but even the rich will eventually see their standards of living collapse. And not even they can entirely escape the effects of wars, conflicts and mass migration, that will eventually happen, if we don't act in time to prevent it all reaching a breaking point...

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The ever increasing number or Solar panels is contributing to global warming given how much heat they reflect back into the atmosphere!  Can you imagine how much hotter the atmosphere is above a solar farm!

Edited by paul1804
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

This is summer right?  It does get hot as far as I can tell since day 1 on this planet.  What was the excuse hundreds of years before humans started taking temperatures? 

Please move on....there is nothing we can do about the heat during the Summer season, except stay cool and get on with life.

Stop blaming everything on Climate Change, which is pure BS.

Climate change is not BS. Sad some think that way.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Fossil fuels are not only necessary for energy supplies and fertilizers, but also for thousands of products we use every day. Refer attached article:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/11/f68/Products Made From Oil and Natural Gas Infographic.pdf

I've seen this trope repeated endless times and its silliness should be obvious. If I live in a house made out of wood, am I living in a house made of fuel? If it's not used for combustion, it's not a fuel. Any petroleum or natural gas that is turned into various substances other than those created by combustion, is not being used as a fuel.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

We are currently in the Holocene Era, which is a warming period that began around 11,700 years ago, at the end of the last Ice Age (or more correctly, the last Glacial Maximum).

It's interesting that the Holocene Optimum (or maximum warming) occurred around the time of the first human civilizations, when temperatures were around 2 degrees C warmer than today. Refer attached graph.

It seems odd that so many people are worried about rising temperatures when we now have far better technology to protect ourselves, than the ancient people had. Yet those ancient people survived and progressed, and eventually discovered the marvelous benefits of fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are not only necessary for energy supplies and fertilizers, but also for thousands of products we use every day. Refer attached article:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/11/f68/Products Made From Oil and Natural Gas Infographic.pdf

There are many studies which reveal that far more people die from unusual cold weather than hot weather, globally. This implies that a warmer climate is better than a colder climate.

Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant. It's a clean and odourless gas which is essential for all life. All plants need it. Satellite information shows that our planet is greening as a result of increased CO2. Greenhouse farmers increase their productivity by injecting CO2 into the Greenhouse.

I mention these facts because I have compassion for those who are so worried about their future because of the alarm created about CO2 emissions from the burning of fossil fuels.

Holocene Warming.jpg

Guess you didn't see my post?

image.jpeg.eb23153c7b16414f22805aad9b196704.jpeg

Smart people bought ranches in Montana.   

I believe it is man caused global warming.  

Glad i dont live in Thailand 

Great weather here to be outside 10 hours a day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excogitator said:

It's this level of ignorance that's going to, eventually, end organised human life on earth...

Every serious scientist in the world agree that climate change, caused by human activity, is real and happening.

Lots of scientists cast doubt on the climate change hoax, or is your definition of a "serious" scientist only one who follows the media accepted view? That's the problem with scientific method these days: it's become politicised. Many great scientific advances originated from dissenting views.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

The kinds of change being pushed onto the populations of the world (generally by rich folk who fly around in private jets) are malevolent, and are driving hard working people into poverty. Climate change is an industry, with a powerful marketing and lobbying department.

The political left love Net Zero because it's the nearest thing to a communist utopia they'll see: immobile and poverty stricken masses doing what they're told at last.

I'm glad to see that people are finally pushing back on all this nonsense. 

So according to you, here's the plot: 97% of the worlds scientists are conspiring to create an imaginary environmental crisis, only to be exposed by a plucky band of billionaires, right-leaning politicians, enlightened internet warriors and oil companies?

Is that about right?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Holocene Warming.jpg

Either you are being deceptive in using this graph or you have been deceived by your fellow denialists. Since you don't include a link to it, who knows where it came from. What I do know is that this graph.Your graph actually is incomplete. It fails to include most of the period starting around 1980 when temperatures began to rise sharply, as per the predictions of the scientific community. 

Not only is it incomplete but it treats phenomena such as the medieval warm period, Roman warming, and the little Ice age as global phenomena which they weren't.

undefined

2000+ year graph of global temperature including so-called "Medieval Warm Period" (shaded in pink) and "Little Ice Age" (shaded in blue) - derived from graphic by Ed Hawkins. Suggested caption: Global average temperatures show that the Medieval Warm Period was not a planet-wide phenomenon, and that the Little Ice Age was not a distinct planet-wide time period but rather the end of a long temphttps://web.archive.org/web/20200202220240/https://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/2020/2019-years/erature decline that preceded recent global warming.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roo Island said:

Ummm...few people are pushing back on climate change. Just those who can't understand the science. Or don't want to.

What science would that be then? The science you read about in the popular press?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Lots of scientists cast doubt on the climate change hoax, or is your definition of a "serious" scientist only one who follows the media accepted view? That's the problem with scientific method these days: it's become politicised. Many great scientific advances originated from dissenting views.

Link...or.....bs

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Yes, steel does expand in the heat, and contract in the cold. Expansion joints compensate for these factors to ensure the gauge remains within acceptable parameters.  Was there a derailment that didn't make the news? 

Yes there are expansion joints, but there are limits to how much expansion they can compensate for. Even in the milder weather in the UK, they sometimes have this problem and have to close lines or limit the speeds on them.

Buckled rails in the UK

18 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

No doubt scientific advances originated from dissenting views. Nobody's questioning that..

Any sources to back up the rest of your claims?

• Like 1