Driving without valid driver's license in Thailand

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Until you are involved in an accident in which you are held to blame and your insurance rejects claims due to the insured not having a valid license.😋

PJ will not understand that...........:wacko:

• Agree 1

Thailand is not what you think is. You get stopped occasionally and asked to produce a valid driving licence. If you haven't got one you'll have a problem like in any civilised country.

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Does PJ understand anything that the rest of the world would consider to be normal/legal behaviour?

Good question.......🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

A Friend of mine had a Traffic accident last Year, not his fault but without Thai DL. After have payed a hefti Fine he was immediately deportet and blacklistet. He can do a request for a Visa at earliest 2026.  

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

A Friend of mine had a Traffic accident last Year, not his fault but without Thai DL. After have payed a hefti Fine he was immediately deportet and blacklistet. He can do a request for a Visa at earliest 2026.  

I think this untrue. People don't deported/blacklisted for a traffic accident, especially after paying the fine.

Fake story.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Are you sure.

I've been involved in an accident ( obviously not my fault ) and my license ( which i had ) was never asked for....

Not at all. I have found that, even with the same insurer in the same area different assessors who arrive on the scene have different requirements. It is often stated that, in Thailand, the insurance is assessed against the vehicle not the driver which is why Thai vehicle owners often let anyone get behind the wheel  of their car.

My insurance has two named drivers, me and my wife. The real test I think is if the police decide it is your fault entirely and you end up with a liability to pay one or more third parties.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Does PJ understand anything that the rest of the world would consider to be normal/legal behaviour?

Sounds like you and your boyfriend need to get a loom.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Bigz said:

Thailand is not what you think is. You get stopped occasionally and asked to produce a valid driving licence. If you haven't got one you'll have a problem like in any civilised country.

hahahahaha

• Confused 2

I have a Thai car license but not one for a motorcycle.

Living in the Isaan bush I only use the Yamaha for short trips and never into the local town, 13 Kms away.

You never see plod in the villages and most local people don't have a licence or anything else required to be on a motorcycle.

If you live in town you definitely need one.