Extreme pruning

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We “pollard” our Eucalyptus trees every 2 years approx.

I can just imagine way back in Henry VIII's time, or before, the peasant tree pruners would say to each other...

" Richard, let's 'pollard' that floocker".......And a new word was born.............😂

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, transam said:

I can just imagine way back in Henry VIII's time, or before, the peasant tree pruners would say to each other...

" Richard, let's 'pollard' that floocker".......And a new word was born.............😂

pollox

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Fig and Mullberry trees fruit better when you do this.  They grow back very quickly and start flowering.

I've done it 3 times to this mango tree.  Last time was about 2 years ago.

No description available.

Edited by rwill
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I think it comes down to the laziness too. The more they remove the less frequent pruning. 

You don't seem to have one good word for Thai folk, do you....?  🤔

Do you actually live here........?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

You don't seem to have one good word for Thai folk, do you....?  🤔

Do you actually live here........?

I do live in Thailand. I do like Thai people in general. Occasional ranting I suppose. 😉

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2024 at 6:37 PM, johng said:

Yes I suspect  they hate trees...in particular the leaf litter..I notice they tend to sweep up leafs but leave the dust,dirt,sand etc for extra motorcycle mayhem excitement.

Agree .... many Thai people seem to view trees as large weeds.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My M-in-L is an extreme pruner, of the hack it faction. She has killed at least 3 trees and a dozen shrubs with her manic attacks.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I cringe when I see some of their "pruning" jobs.  A machete or hatchet is not the right pruning tool. I've been pruning with my FELCO #2 shears for 46 years. 

image.jpeg.c7797d49e74cdba92f278c02059a3ce6.jpeg

• Agree 2

On 5/3/2024 at 6:28 PM, AustinRacing said:

Have you noticed locals prune trees to the extreme with no leaves remaining. We had our village done, not a single leaf on any tree. My neighbor another example. She does it once in a while. Attached photo after a week, some green stuff coming out. Question is why bother having a tree if you go Kojak on them. 

IMG_6698.jpeg

They do this because they can. The leaves will come soon🙏

My garden gets ruined at least once every 2 years as my b/f - without consulting me - has the family hackers destroy 3 or 4 beauties with crude slashing with a blunt instrument, leaving jagged wounds open to disease.

And other trees and bushes get moved (because 'too big' or 'too close house') and shoved into a shallow hole with no manure & little water. Death follows in about 40% of cases.

Even those that do survive - because I water them against instructions through the drought - will probably be killed off next time round.

(Sigh)

• Agree 1