Keep Getting Approached By India Guys

JimTripper

I keep getting approached by India guys in Pattaya, in the evening. Starts off with 'Where are you from?' or some similar hogwash.

What could they possibly want from me in the middle of Pattaya?

I don't have the will to remain in the conversation long. Last night it was a large guy with a big gut who kind of pointed to my stomach. Did not feel like a homo thing. It's weird.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

They most likely want to sell you a suit, some weed, toys, or introduce you to somebody who can keep you company for the evening.

Or they might be trying to scam you in one way or the other.

Why don't you ask them and find out?

I don't think they were selling anything. It's tourists.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

How can you tell they're tourists?

They are not dressed well and look like they just came over from india. Also, no watch case. It happens right on the street, not in a venue.

Edited by JimTripper

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

They are not dressed well and look like they just came over from india. Also, no watch case. It happens right on the street, not in a venue.

So now your're not only "definitely" sure that they are tourists, from your breif extremely breif (single sentence?) encounter with them, you are also confident enough to state that they have only just arrived.

Seems strange that with such people-reading skills that you weren't able to also tell what they wanted.

I guess my original suggestion stands then:

11 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Why don't you ask them and find out?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Fortune tellers.  No need to even acknowledge let alone engage in any conversation whatsoever.

Agree they used to work a scam in Koa San road. Don't go anywhere with them ! 

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

An Indian pal of mine told me a couple of years back about the exact same thing,his words were "they look for gormless/unintelligent looking westerners in order to try and scam them".....:cheesy:

How would that scam work? They are in a foreign country. Do they force me to buy a watch in a back alley somewhere.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

An Indian pal of mine told me a couple of years back about the exact same thing,his words were "they look for gormless/unintelligent looking westerners in order to try and scam them".....:cheesy:

Just now, JimTripper said:

How would that scam work? They are in a foreign country. Do they force me to buy a watch in a back alley somewhere.

As another poster has earlier replied.....ask them :whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

They are SCAMMERS roaming Second Rd. in Pattaya.

Mostly 2 man.
They try to engage in a friendly conversation and one of them will point at your stomach/belly.
Next, they will say that they know an Indian herb which helps you to get rid of your belly in a short time.
And they know an Indian shop who sells this herb, not far away.
If you fall for that SCAM, they will bring you to the bazar in Second Rd. where they will sell you the herb for $$$$$$.

Sorry, I meant 3rd road for the man/girl pair, not 2nd road. Big difference.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I keep getting approached by India guys in Pattaya, in the evening. Starts off with 'Where are you from?' or some similar hogwash.

What could they possibly want from me in the middle of Pattaya?

I don't have the will to remain in the conversation long. Last night it was a large guy with a big gut who kind of pointed to my stomach. Did not feel like a homo thing. It's weird.

If you have any food on you, tell them your a toilet cleaner, and eat with your right hand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes they used that trick in Kao San road, 'I can tell you your mothers maiden name,' 'go on then' 'you write it down and I will read your mind' meanwhile a hidden one is watching from somewhere above............ 

1 hour ago, petermik said:

As another poster has earlier replied.....ask them :whistling:

Would likely just result in more personal questions, not a forthwright answer.

Again... Massive assumptions based on having a one-line conversation with these guys...

9 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

ask to look at your money and pretend to give it all back etc.

This seems like a popular scam.  Apparently they ask to see some kind of money as they have "never seen it before" and then simply steal it or try to distract you and take a few notes then, as you say, pretend to give it back.

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Indians are in my experience generally pretty friendly, perhaps you look like a nice guy to them. 

Certainly not the ones that come in cheap package tours to Pattaya. They just travel in packs like they own the street or in the road and I've seen a lot of them treat Thais disrespectfully. 

• Agree 1