The heat

dddave

This current heat wave is unusual in my experience.  I live on the tenth floor of a condo just off Jomtien Beach.   Yesterday, I put a decent quality digital thermometer on a table near my open balcony but out of direct sunlight. Throughout the day, from 1pm on it read between 33.5 - 33.7. That evening around 9pm, it was still 33.5.  When I got up at 3am to take a wizz, it was 33.3. Only at 7am was it below 33, at 32.6. That's just only 1.1 degree variation over 24 hours.  I never recall night time staying so hot ever before.

• Sad 2

I wouldn't trust that thermometer - at least the way you have it "installed".

There should be air flow and probably some other conditions to have good measurements.

I see on my ACs the outside temperature. Currently it changes between almost 40 high to around 30 low in the middle of Bangkok.

It is probably due to your building retaining the heat gained throughout the day. And heat rises, so you've got ten floors worth coming your way. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Its unusuall  windy too. If I open my balcony door and condo entrace door my Condo is self cleaning. Everything is blowing into the hallway, incl. the stuff I would like to keep. So I just close everything, put the aircon on 26 C and relax. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My take on this topic:

people asking themselves “is it hotter than it usually is” is such a flawed scientific experiment it’s not even funny. There are so many issues it’s just not even debatable,yet that’s what everyone does! 
Look at the averages, then look at current temps. This is not that difficult folks. We’re not too far from average. Maybe last year was a bit cooler.  Ay e this year a tad hotter. That’s how this stuff works. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

people asking themselves “is it hotter than it usually is” is such a flawed scientific experiment it’s not even funny.

The OP isn't asking that.  He's saying it is hotter than usual and that it is unusual to find it so hot at night.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

go away bob. we are all sick of you. thought you were leaving LOS

Nah, think i'll stick around for a bit!

Who the hell are you anyway?

Bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

This current heat wave is unusual in my experience.  I live on the tenth floor of a condo just off Jomtien Beach.   Yesterday, I put a decent quality digital thermometer on a table near my open balcony but out of direct sunlight. Throughout the day, from 1pm on it read between 33.5 - 33.7. That evening around 9pm, it was still 33.5.  When I got up at 3am to take a wizz, it was 33.3. Only at 7am was it below 33, at 32.6. That's just only 1.1 degree variation over 24 hours.  I never recall night time staying so hot ever before.

Really?  I wonder why no one else has noticed that and started a thread about it being hot in Thailand in the summer?

Not hot enough...

You people are peasants. 40c at night is required. I need double duvets at 35c and have to turn the heating on.

🚀🚀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

The OP isn't asking that.  He's saying it is hotter than usual and that it is unusual to find it so hot at night.

Ah, well that makes it a so much more interesting thread, then.

• Sad 1

My punkah-wallah is really earning the pittance I pay him during this current hot spell. Sometimes, I will slip on a heavy coat just for a laugh. My, how we chuckle while he is sweating like an Aussie in a maths test, desperately trying to keep me cool.

th?id=OIP.xnp94H-2yYU0bLngl7E6DAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

You are correct! Unusual for you! For the earth it's not unusual.

Most places in Thailand are recording the hottest temperatures since recording began. I've been here since 2006, in Pattaya, and there is no doubt this year is the hottest. My room temperature in a shaded room reaches 32C and never goes below 30C. Right now, at midnight, the recorded outdoor temp is 30C.

It's best to keep the windows shut during the day and open them at night to prevent hotter air from blowing in during the day.

Today the max in Bangkok is predicted to reach 38C, which is pretty damn hot, even for Bangkok.

Edited by JensenZ

I don't know why you people migrate to a tropical country if you can't stand the heat? Where I live, we had 10 days in a row over 40 plus and followed by 12 days in the high 30th. I don't even have an aircon in my place.

• Confused 4

On 5/4/2024 at 3:44 PM, Keeps said:

My punkah-wallah is really earning the pittance I pay him during this current hot spell. Sometimes, I will slip on a heavy coat just for a laugh. My, how we chuckle while he is sweating like an Aussie in a maths test, desperately trying to keep me cool.

th?id=OIP.xnp94H-2yYU0bLngl7E6DAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Do you have a 'jam boy' too?