Thai EV Market Remains Unfazed by European Sales Downturn

webfact

Now chaps, stop having stamping tantrums because I don't want to make a comment.

I will not be making a comment, so don't waste your time......😋

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Neither is integrity, apparently

Neither is integrity, apparently

Sadly, he is also showing his bigotry on another thread.

• Agree 1

Just now, Gweiloman said:

Sadly, he is also showing his bigotry on another thread.

The Communist talks from his rickshaw..................😂

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not an early adopter. Thailand it seems will be leading the world with the adoption of EVs. I hope it works out and BYD becomes the standard of motoring excellence....meanwhile I'll drive my ICEs.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:35 PM, dinsdale said:

Thailand is a dumping ground for cheap Chinese EV's. Now China wants to start making them here presumably because it's cheaper. 

Have you seen Huawei and Xiaomi EV cars? Nothing like a cheap Tesla. 

I will not buy an electric car probably for another 10 years, but facts are facts. They are making some very decent cars.

Where is Apple car announced 10 years ago, lolz?

• Agree 1

Just now, Bandersnatch said:

Making EVs is apparently more difficult than making phones.

Might explain why legacy auto makers are making such a hash of it. 

”The project had reportedly cost the company over $1 billion per year”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_car_project

Perhaps the $ numbers don't add up for Apple, plus difficult when the Chinese are subsidising and stockpiling cheap cars... 🤗

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Belgium's ports drowning under glut of Chinese electric cars: 'Some are parked here for a year, sometimes more'

Due to China's overcapacity in production – as it aims to capture a quarter of the European electric vehicle market – the ports of Antwerp and Zeebrugge are inundated.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/economy/article/2024/05/04/belgium-s-ports-drowning-under-glut-of-chinese-electric-cars-some-are-parked-here-for-a-year-sometimes-a-year-and-a-half_6670373_19.html

Who in their right mind is going to buy an EV that has been sitting exposed in a European car park  for 18 months

Awaiting JB's reply to huge subsidies and flooding markets.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/7/2024 at 9:33 PM, Bandersnatch said:

This case is well know in the EV community. It was a small electrical fire not a traction battery fire.

A battery fire in an EV happens under the car.

An electrical fire happens under the bonnet.

IMG_0530.webp.da81fdd90caa3e41c9d4a75f522d97d2.webp

Indeed. It was put down to a wiring issue whilst recharging. Guess that would come under a quality issue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Indeed. It was put down to a wiring issue whilst recharging. Guess that would come under a quality issue. 

BYD provided the owner with new replacement car as they were keen to take the car away for testing.

Over 20,000 Atto 3s have been sold in Thailand as this is the only case of a 12v fire.

20240503_020444882_iOS.thumb.jpeg.d1b2468d6cce73bc6e21209e6fe4e8a5.jpeg

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD provided the owner with new replacement car as they were keen to take the car away for testing.

Over 20,000 Atto 3s have been sold in Thailand as this is the only case of a 12v fire.

20240503_020444882_iOS.thumb.jpeg.d1b2468d6cce73bc6e21209e6fe4e8a5.jpeg

But, to a buyer it is probably on their mind, because you really are sitting on a powder keg...🤔

Plus, one thing for sure, it will happen again....😬

The main factors hindering BYD’s entry into Western markets include weak market demand combined with ambitious sales targets, a flawed pricing strategy, regulatory investigations by Western countries, concerns about quality, and the necessity for extensive post-import adjustments, and significant repairs.

Build Quality and Software: The recent report suggests that vehicles exported from China required various repairs and adjustments upon arrival at their destinations. Vehicles shipped to Japan showed signs of scratches, while those sent to Europe were discovered to have mold. Additionally, some users have reported issues with the battery and other minor inconveniences, including frequent discharging of the vehicle’s 12V battery, the GPS providing inaccurate directions, and challenges with the vehicle’s washer/wiper system.

https://cmr.berkeley.edu/2024/05/why-does-byd-struggle-to-penetrate-western-markets/#:~:text=Extensive fixes%3A BYD has faced,and structural issues in Israel.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The main factors hindering BYD’s entry into Western markets include weak market demand combined with ambitious sales targets, a flawed pricing strategy, regulatory investigations by Western countries, concerns about quality, and the necessity for extensive post-import adjustments, and significant repairs.

Build Quality and Software: The recent report suggests that vehicles exported from China required various repairs and adjustments upon arrival at their destinations. Vehicles shipped to Japan showed signs of scratches, while those sent to Europe were discovered to have mold. Additionally, some users have reported issues with the battery and other minor inconveniences, including frequent discharging of the vehicle’s 12V battery, the GPS providing inaccurate directions, and challenges with the vehicle’s washer/wiper system.

https://cmr.berkeley.edu/2024/05/why-does-byd-struggle-to-penetrate-western-markets/#:~:text=Extensive fixes%3A BYD has faced,and structural issues in Israel.

Haven’t seen any of the issues mentioned in the link here in Thailand other than the paint adherence issue on front and rear bumper mentioned already on this forum.

Thankfully i haven’t personally had any issue with my BYD and am very happy with the car.

The BYD car i bought here is 40% more expensive in the U.K. and on a recent 3 week visit i only saw 1 BYD ( an Atto 3 ) despite having a dealership around 20 miles away.

Tesla seemed the most prevalent EV in the area I was staying, with Polestar, MG and Ionic a close second.

A lot of EV’s I didn’t instantly recognise such as Corsa, Jag, Peugeot, Kia etc but in the U.K. an EV has a green vertical stripe on the license plate for easy identification.

Strangely, after spotting a couple of Tesla’s without the green stripe I learned ( thanks Google ) that the stripe is not mandatory and has to be asked for specifically on registration …… what’s that all about ??

This then became a game of “ spot the EV with no green stripe “, Tesla won that game for whatever reason.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The BYD car i bought here is 40% more expensive in the U.K.

That's called dumping into markets where there is competition aka undercutting the market. As for your car and all the others lets see what happens with time. As for re-sale values say goodbye to your Baht.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

All that money and inconvenience, there has to be some benefits.

Typical, doesn’t own an EV and doesn’t know anything about them.

“Ignorance signaling” 

I own a D segment Saloon/Sedan EV and it’s cheaper than any ice car in the segment.

Owned it for 6 months and apart from some short test charges in the first week it has been charged at home from solar. So haven’t had to go out of my way to fill up.

It comes with 8 years of free servicing and very cheap road tax. All very inexpensive and convenient.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Typical, doesn’t own an EV and doesn’t know anything about them.

“Ignorance signaling” 

I own a D segment Saloon/Sedan EV and it’s cheaper than any ice car in the segment.

Owned it for 6 months and apart from some short test charges in the first week it has been charged at home from solar. So haven’t had to go out of my way to fill up.

It comes with 8 years of free servicing and very cheap road tax. All very inexpensive and convenient.

How much is the EV insurance, I keep asking, but no reply.........🤔

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did you watch the video about the tear down of a BYD Seal?  Disruptively high quality and low price was the verdict.

BYD have not long been in Europe, they are nimble and not afraid to adjust pricing.  I think they will do pretty well, they are a high quality product.

Depends who tears it down I guess.  Bit like something else I could talk about being called "safe and effective" by "experts". It's not always as it seems. As for being "nimble and not afraid to adjust pricing" this is just spin for saying undercutting the native market with a heavily subsidised product. Subsidised by the autoritarian CCP. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 2

You're right, things are often not what they seem, you could be mistaken for an intelligent open-minded person, once you post, that myth disappears entirely.

No personal attacks please. Not once have I called you an EV fanboy so respect should be both ways.

• Confused 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:08 PM, josephbloggs said:

Oh my God, here we go again.

1. That is not a BYD.

2. That is not an EV.

3. It is not real.
4. It is a stunt from a movie set.

5. Did you not think it odd that people were filming before it happened and didn't flinch once?

The mind boggles about how gullible people are who will swallow anything no matter how ridiculous - as long as it fuels their anti Chinese / anti EV viewpoint.

And that awful YouTuber posts it as fact that this was an EV vehicle that exploded while charging. And morons lap it up without question. It is very very sad.

You want some real Chinese EV action 🎬?

• Thumbs Up 1