Thai EV Market Remains Unfazed by European Sales Downturn

webfact

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You are aware that an ICE car is between 13 & 140 times more likely to catch fire than an EV? Presumably you're ok with that in your basement?

Thanks God we are all allowed to call BS.

The FactCheck patrol 🚓 was alerted 📢. The correct number is 11 times, for Tesla vs. all ICE fires 🔥

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

A poor post by your standards. 

Seems a lot of cases that make EV unsuitable. Why would I buy a car that is unsuitable for long trips? Or a car that I cannot charge when at my bangkok condo? 

Unknown long term reliability. Unknown long term support. And you are really comparing a top model Camry to a BYD Seal? 

It seems you need a very specific set of circumstances for EV to make sense and even then you are driving something that sounds like a hoover. 

I also don't fancy a load of lithium in a device manufactured to a tight budget in China on my driveway. Like having a firework factory in the basement. 

I am compelled to reply as we can debate sensibly as adults.

I won’t say that there are to be a lot of cases that makes an EV unsuitable. In most cases, EVs are suitable for most people. Yes, there are a couple of circumstances that makes it less than ideal, main one being the need to make frequent long distance trips. The main downside is the time it takes to charge. For EV owners, they work around this by having their meals or other driving breaks when they need to charge. Having done it myself, it’s not as inconvenient as it might first appear. The charging network in Thailand is pretty good for most EV owners. Of course there are exceptions. Places like Pai and MHS naturally have less charging stations than Chiang Mai. The same goes for petrol stations.

It’s a bit more challenging for condo dwellers, especially if the condo doesn’t provide charging facilities. Realistically though, one only needs to go to a PTT or Bangchak or PT only once a week to top up. Not very much different from filling an ICEV other than having to get out of the car and have a coffee or a bowl of noodles.

As for reliability etc, we are talking about major multibillion dollar companies like BYD, SAIC, Geely… Not some small startup so I’m quite comfortable with relying on these companies.

The driving experience is fantastic, instant power on tap if needed, quiet and smooth and comfortable. The savings are fantastic as well, in terms of petrol and no need for regular servicing of,oil, filters etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

A poor post by your standards. 

Seems a lot of cases that make EV unsuitable. Why would I buy a car that is unsuitable for long trips? Or a car that I cannot charge when at my bangkok condo? 

Unknown long term reliability. Unknown long term support. And you are really comparing a top model Camry to a BYD Seal? 

It seems you need a very specific set of circumstances for EV to make sense and even then you are driving something that sounds like a hoover. 

I also don't fancy a load of lithium in a device manufactured to a tight budget in China on my driveway. Like having a firework factory in the basement. 

An EV sounding like a hoover ? Mine is totally silent.

Only thing i can think of is the pedestrian warning sounds available on a BYD which can be silenced at the flick of a switch.

56 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Cheapest 2019 MG ZS EV is on one2car for B455,000  launch price in June 2019 was 1,190,000 baht which shows a yearly  depreciation value of 18% of new cost over 5 years   but as everyone knows that is the dealer opening offer no one in their right mind pays a used car dealer sticker price 

There was a major tent with multiple showrooms all over the country that recently shutdown  and they were selling cars at cost price and in some cases below cost to try and generate money into their business 

https://brandinside.asia/car24-layoff-2024/

It was yourself that posted "and the data say the grey imports held their values very well."

should have call out that statement as pure BS as that statement doesn't apply to Tesla grey imports

If you have issues with this article and you believe that what they have written in the article is

blatantly false then you should contact the author of the article

https://techsauce.co/authors/techsauce-team

https://techsauce.co/tech-and-biz/china-ev-crisis-to-eliminate-car-manufacture?

You're quoting nonsense.  Let's take the average price for 2019 MG ZS EV's (don't cherry pick unless it's not in your favour, it's bad manners), it is retaining 38% of it's value after 5 years, you think that's bad?

The MG ZS X+ was 799,000 in 2019, the average now seems to be about 310,000, it's also retaining 38% of it's value after 5 years.

QED, EV's do not depreciate any faster.

Your post is nonsense and so is the guy who said they depreciate faster over 5 years.

I am not calling him, but you are welcome to ask him to call me and I will tell him so to his face (I can spot reverse delegation a mile off).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Easily explained: EVs are still relatively new in Thailand, so people still believe all the marketing hype and are still buying these useless things.

I wouldn't say they are useless. You just need a very specific set of circumstances for them to make sense.

No long adventurous journeys. No last minute detours when you pass the sign for the beautiful waterfall that you didn't know was there, just follow the app. A home with personal parking. Preferably solar panels. A penchant for hanging around gas stations drinking overpriced coffee. 

As for marketing, yes. I am yet to see someone driving a Good Cat Ora that isn't a 20 something wannabee hiso girl that probably can't afford a mini Cooper. 

I've got such an individual in my condo and it makes me nervous when she parks it near my car or under my second floor room (its a 48 unit low rise).

Also noticeable is that it has had a dent for 4 months now. She does seem the type to bump her way into parking spaces but I'm not sure if she can't afford the repair or the parts aren't available. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Easily explained: EVs are still relatively new in Thailand, so people still believe all the marketing hype and are still buying these useless things.

A well thought out and argued post, pfft.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

This is a very important post in my opinion. It is very difficult to argue with someone who has owned and lived with all the cars being compared in a segment. 

It's known as post purchase rationalisation.

Typically lasts between 1 and 5 years depending on the amount invested. 

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

She does seem the type to bump her way into parking spaces but I'm not sure if she can't afford the repair or the parts aren't available. 

The Thais are great at testing the limits of these new EVs, but the good new is that they don't seem to burst into a fireball.

FB_IMG_1715346737876.jpg

FB_IMG_1715346415154.jpg

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

An EV sounding like a hoover ? Mine is totally silent.

Only thing i can think of is the pedestrian warning sounds available on a BYD which can be silenced at the flick of a switch.

Make sure you turn those pedestrian warning sounds off.

The blind will be grateful I'm sure. 

Not to mention wildlife. 

2 tonnes of lithium silently whistling along the road flattening everything in their path and destroying the roads. Nothing greener than that...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

New .... maybe you are, but EVs are not.

image.png.d9a4853d63e92c02340c9ef324cf8b7d.png

image.png.015ead188e9e2ec287f93d463134ed41.png

image.png.fb0063ff7c0d797f49350521bc66ec9b.png

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Nothing kinder to the the environment than accelerating from 0-100 in 2.4 seconds on lithium power. 

Where's my green stripe?

Edited by JonnyF
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Make sure you turn those pedestrian warning sounds off.

The blind will be grateful I'm sure. 

Not to mention wildlife. 

2 tonnes of lithium silently whistling along the road flattening everything in their path and destroying the roads. Nothing greener than that...

Maybe people should look before jaywalking, look both ways again, then again, before crossing the street.

My ICE MG ZS was pretty damn quiet.  For the life of me, I don't how people get run over crossing the street ... that actually looked first.  Take responsibility for yourself and never depend on others.

All these news blips of people getting run over in TH ... any of them by EVs ... ?????

... nuff said

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Thais are great at testing the limits of these new EVs, but the good new is that they don't seem to burst into a fireball.

FB_IMG_1715346737876.jpg

FB_IMG_1715346415154.jpg

Yeah I've had a few Teslas blast past me at around 180 on the Bang na to Nawamin elevated highway.

I forgave them though, as it was clearly a purchase inspired by environmental responsibility. 

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The MG ZS X+ was 799,000 in 2019, the average now seems to be about 310,000, it's also retaining 38% of it's value after 5 years.

EVs does depreciate faster than ICEVs, but that is just half the story.

EVs typical drive 60-70% the annual miles an ICEV does, so on average ICEV retain their value way better than EVs.

1-Battery-electric-vehicle-BEV-value-depreciation-by-the-model-compared-to-the.jpg

ev-depreciation-vs-ice-cars-chart-16x9-edit.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe people should look before jaywalking, look both ways again, then again, before crossing the street.

My ICE MG ZS was pretty damn quiet.  For the life of me, I don't how people get run over crossing the street ... that actually looked first.  Take responsibility for yourself and never depend on others.

All these news blips of people getting run over in TH ... any of them by EVs ... ?????

... nuff said

I must assume you don't know anyone with impaired sight ?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

EVs typical drive 60-70% the annual miles an ICEV does, so on average ICEV retain their value way better than EVs.

1-Battery-electric-vehicle-BEV-value-depreciation-by-the-model-compared-to-the.jpg

Relative to who owns it.   We drive 20k kms a year, and apparently, from another post, that's quite a bit.  And if all local kms, we save 55k baht a year with solar, or 42k baht a year if using PEA for those kms driven.

So if keeping EV for 5 years, that's 200k baht of depreciation one gets back.

Our ICE MG ZS cost 699k, sold for 400k after 2 years / 40k kms.   Our EV version was insured (write off value) for 11k more than the purchase.  And when renewed, is the same value, as a new ZS EV when discounted to 869k.   Plus the 42k (PEA) to 55k (solar) baht a year we are saving by not using petrol.

10 years down the road, and we're ahead 400-500k baht by not using petrol alone.  Don't think depreciation is a concern.   And, we still have 46kWh of battery bank.   That's worth a pretty baht if added to the solar system.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's known as post purchase rationalisation.

That might be true for people who own one car at a time and have to manage their buyers regret until they can afford to change their mistake purchase. 

You clearly don’t much about @JBChiangRai and the cars he has owned. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I must assume you don't know anyone with impaired sight ?

Does it matter then.   They better cross at the light, on the green then.

Another silly 'what if' ... what if deaf & blind ... oh crap

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks God we are all allowed to call BS.

The FactCheck patrol 🚓 was alerted 📢. The correct number is 11 times, for Tesla vs. all ICE fires 🔥

It depends on the statistics, would you like a link that puts your argument in the crapper?

The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency released a report in May 2023 outlining that ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicles in Sweden were 20 times more likely to combust spontaneously compared to electric cars.

Statistics Show ICE Vehicle Fires 20 Time More Likely Than EV Fires - Green Car Stocks

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We are in Thailand, this thread is about the Thai EV market.

Try to keep on topic without hijacking it.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It depends on the statistics, would you like a link that puts your argument in the crapper?

The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency released a report in May 2023 outlining that ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicles in Sweden were 20 times more likely to combust spontaneously compared to electric cars.

Statistics Show ICE Vehicle Fires 20 Time More Likely Than EV Fires - Green Car Stocks

Pick a survey.   I like this one, as insurance pay outs, so probably more accurate

image.png.00d03bed5afe35ff3f6950dd44d8eba7.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 9:49 AM, webfact said:

Contrary to an 11% slump in European electric vehicle (EV) sales, Thai business operators maintain an optimistic outlook for the local growth of the EV market. They attribute this optimism to unique local conditions, differentiating them from the European market.

Translated:
Thailand has access to affordable Chinese EVs as well as affordable after-market services.
The EU imposes tariffs to make Chinese EVs unaffordable and have inflated after-market services making them expensive.
The US plans to impose tariffs the quadruple the price of Chinese EVs.

So - Thais can enjoy the benefits of Chinese EV and EV battery technology that will make EVs affordable for average citizens unlike in the EU and US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

A well thought out and argued post, pfft.

Sometimes things that seem irrational have simple explanations: EVs are a con with clever marketing. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

New .... maybe you are, but EVs are not.

image.png.d9a4853d63e92c02340c9ef324cf8b7d.png

image.png.015ead188e9e2ec287f93d463134ed41.png

image.png.fb0063ff7c0d797f49350521bc66ec9b.png

A road transport product needing completely changed infrastructure that was launched as recently as 2018 (then we had covid when everything was on hold) is, well .... very new.

3 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Sometimes things that seem irrational have simple explanations: EVs are a con with clever marketing. 

Another well though out and reasoned post. Have you got anything intelligent to add to the debate? What's the con? And what's all this marketing we're all falling for? I don't remember seeing any, I just remember driving an EV for a few days then getting back in my ICE and feeling like I'd gone back in time.

What's your experience?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

A road transport product needing completely changed infrastructure that was launched as recently as 2018 (then we had covid when everything was on hold) is, well .... very new.

Tourist areas were on hold, not the domestic vehicle market, though did dip a bit, as more than a few worked in the tourist industry.

That didn't happen, no tourist, till April 2020.  6 months of unknown after that, then most of the country, not relying on tourist was getting back to normal, except now masked up all year round.

We're talking auto sales not hotel bookings.

Tourist returning high season 2022.  So only 2 slow years.  Wouldn't call theses numbers on hold:

Untitled.png

Edited by KhunLA

21 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Another well though out and reasoned post. Have you got anything intelligent to add to the debate? What's the con? And what's all this marketing we're all falling for? I don't remember seeing any, I just remember driving an EV for a few days then getting back in my ICE and feeling like I'd gone back in time.

What's your experience?

My experience? Why would I buy something that is overpriced, heavy, costs more to insure, takes ages to charge, depreciates, keeps you on the edge of your seat worrying about where to get the next recharge, etcetera. 

Marketing can do that for you: it makes you believe you're part of the future, and you'll drive around with a smug and pious look on your face ....

until you realise you've been conned.

• Confused 1