Family appeal for missing British man in Thailand

webfact

Don't come to Thailand, all sorts of dangers, some lethal. Some many better and choices in or near Europe. Nothing beats skiing in Winter. Scuba diving in Egypt is a lot safer than drinking in Phuket.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ben Zioner said:

Don't come to Thailand, all sorts of dangers, some lethal. Some many better and choices in or near Europe. Nothing beats skiing in Winter. Scuba diving in Egypt is a lot safer than drinking in Phuket.

What a load..............:coffee1:

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I think people on here are underestimating the concern.

It is stated that he was supposed to be on a flight back home and there is no advice to his family that he missed that flight.

Not being on a booked flight suggests something suspicious or at least unexplained.

The family's thoughts are those of a man that has "disappeared" - that sounds reasonable to me and needs urgent attention.

Yes I agree ,flights are not cheap nowadays like they used to be so it would be a concern when someone doesn’t make their return flight home , hope the man is found safe and well 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

The family's thoughts are those of a man that has "disappeared" - that sounds reasonable to me and needs urgent attention.

Absolutely agree.   But it's not time to press the panic button or plan the funeral.  He's only 2 days overdue.

If the guy's hotel safe was burgled, he'd have to get a new cell phone and SIM, and get emergency travel documents to even get on a flight.  Unless he knew exactly how to do that, it may take a week or so to get on a flight.  Starting with getting some cash...

It's prudent to contact the embassy/consulate and start chasing it down, for sure.  But I can think of a dozen non-tragic circumstances that would send someone off the grid and out of touch for a few days in Thailand.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

Absolutely agree.   But it's not time to press the panic button or plan the funeral.  He's only 2 days overdue.

If the guy's hotel safe was burgled, he'd have to get a new cell phone and SIM, and get emergency travel documents to even get on a flight.  Unless he knew exactly how to do that, it may take a week or so to get on a flight.  Starting with getting some cash...

It's prudent to contact the embassy/consulate and start chasing it down, for sure.  But I can think of a dozen non-tragic circumstances that would send someone off the grid and out of touch for a few days in Thailand.

something suspicious or at least unexplained.  My own quote

Anyone of us here can speculate on circumstances

From my point of view, anyone reported missing with the information, though scant in this case, needs to be addressed now, waiting for a period (who will decide?) to elapse before serious action is taken could lead to greater problems for the missing person and for Officialdom not acting quickly - no, not panicking! The family, 10,000 kms away, can do nothing except hope somebody is doing something, if only to eliminate certain possibilities and to satisfy them that inquiries continue on their behalf.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Did he check out of his hotel if not, and he hasn’t returned then it may be time to panic

Do they even know which hotel he was staying out.

He has apparently missed his flight...   Have the Airline been able to confirm he didn't turn up... could he have changed his flight to a later date. 

IF he has simply missed his flight, then there is of course reason for very serious concern. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barrybike said:

Yes I agree ,flights are not cheap nowadays like they used to be so it would be a concern when someone doesn’t make their return flight home , hope the man is found safe and well 

So one would expect somebody to check with airline to see if he changed his flight, one could also be forgiven for expecting to see the result of that simple exercise in the OP   Has anybody even contacted one of the hotels he stayed at to find when or if he checked out. TM 30's and all that, plus its probably one of the less sordid details of his holiday that he would be prepared to share with his daughter

Is it it a sign of the times we are living in that nearly  every body commenting on this thread is  assuming the worst !  Only a handful of people considering the odds on favorite explanation which  would be that he's had enough at home and is just trying to disappear and start a new life here possibly with the encouragement of a woman he's met here  Which is not a rare occurrence certainly not as rare as people getting killed 

I just re read the OP and there is no mention of a wife. so he's a single bloke over here on is own, he'll be balls deep in a bargirl and probably about to make a life changing decision the fact that she's probably younger than his daughter is probably the reason for his silence.

Why think the worst when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it, and the above scenario is far more likely.,It  seems its far more fashionable these days to express concern and show empathy with the family  (whom none of you have ever met ) rather that to wish him well with a "give her one for me"   or a "don't anything I wouldn't do"  type remark

Why not save the virtue signalling until the unlikely moment that something negative is confirmed there will be plenty of time for all the RIP's and the "my thoughts are with the family" type comments then . Until such time assume the best and wish him luck

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So one would expect somebody to check with airline to see if he changed his flight, one could also be forgiven for expecting to see the result of that simple exercise in the OP   Has anybody even contacted one of the hotels he stayed at to find when or if he checked out. TM 30's and all that, plus its probably one of the less sordid details of his holiday that he would be prepared to share with his daughter

Is it it a sign of the times we are living in that nearly  every body commenting on this thread is  assuming the worst !  Only a handful of people considering the odds on favorite explanation which  would be that he's had enough at home and is just trying to disappear and start a new life here possibly with the encouragement of a woman he's met here  Which is not a rare occurrence certainly not as rare as people getting killed 

I just re read the OP and there is no mention of a wife. so he's a single bloke over here on is own, he'll be balls deep in a bargirl and probably about to make a life changing decision the fact that she's probably younger than his daughter is probably the reason for his silence.

Why think the worst when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it, and the above scenario is far more likely.,It  seems its far more fashionable these days to express concern and show empathy with the family  (whom none of you have ever met ) rather that to wish him well with a "give her one for me"   or a "don't anything I wouldn't do"  type remark

Why not save the virtue signalling until the unlikely moment that something negative is confirmed there will be plenty of time for all the RIP's and the "my thoughts are with the family" type comments then . Until such time assume the best and wish him luck

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Why not save the virtue signalling

You were saying ????......   :whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think the family have every reason to be concerned, particularly as his disappearance and lack of contact is out of character. Many foreigners go with girls/ladyboys who drug and rob them. Many of them are too thick to get the dosage right, and the poor mark ends up dead. I have a feeling this is one trip to Thailand that won’t have a happy ending.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You were saying ????......   :whistling:

I think its pretty clear what I meant,  save the misery  and the false concern until they find the body,  and until then resist what appears to be a common temptation to indulge in morbid speculation

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think the family have every reason to be concerned, particularly as his disappearance and lack of contact is out of character. Many foreigners go with girls/ladyboys who drug and rob them. Many of them are too thick to get the dosage right, and the poor mark ends up dead. I have a feeling this is one trip to Thailand that won’t have a happy ending.

And how often does that actually happen?  When was the last time it appeared in the news? Think you have been reading too many airport paperbacks

10 hours ago, khunpin said:

Funny joke following:

Search in the famous areas where 1 or 2 women have been spotted looking for customers ... 

Oh. Bad idea. These areas don't exist because it would be illegal to search for customers for sex for money. 

Stupid me. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Thought you said a funny joke ?

Maybe need to change your name to khundim

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, I hope that he's fine but, even if something untoward has happened, I won't be regretting my comment about a panic after just five days.

Well you would if he was one of your own family or close friend. Unlikey you would miss costly flight back or fail at that age to re-assure his nearest and dearest. God speed  & I do hope police etc can find out quickly what has happened to this tourist. He's not some gap year twenty something finding himself. He's a UK citizen missing and the UK authorities too need to up the ante and do what all countries do when one of their own goes missing.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

And how often does that actually happen?  When was the last time it appeared in the news? Think you have been reading too many airport paperbacks

I don't read airport paperbacks, but I have read Thailand related news over many years. And this type of thing ... drugging and mugging ... has been reported several times over the years. 

14 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Don't come to Thailand, all sorts of dangers, some lethal.

You got the idea right, but not the method.

The hidden danger of Thailand is being catered to. Driven around. That person with a wai watching your every move and providing exactly what you need. The Gf who does every little thing and comes with you to immigration. The moto guy waiting at your doorstep...

Over a long time (many years), you become weak & dependent. Then when you face challenges in harder countries it's much more difficult to adapt and overcome.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I don't read airport paperbacks, but I have read Thailand related news over many years. And this type of thing ... drugging and mugging ... has been reported several times over the years. 

"several times over the years"  you will need to be a bit more specific than that , how many times over how many years ?  

Your original statement was ... Many foreigners go with girls/ladyboys who drug and rob them. Many of them are too thick to get the dosage right, and the poor mark ends up dead.

I think you need to review your sources for your "Thailand related news"   and also your personal interpretation of the word "many"

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, peter48 said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, I hope that he's fine but, even if something untoward has happened, I won't be regretting my comment about a panic after just five days.

Well you would if he was one of your own family or close friend.

After only five days without contact, no, I would not, I would not even think about it.

Well you would if he was one of your own family or close friend. Unlikey you would miss costly flight back or fail at that age to re-assure his nearest and dearest. God speed  & I do hope police etc can find out quickly what has happened to this tourist. He's not some gap year twenty something finding himself. He's a UK citizen missing and the UK authorities too need to up the ante and do what all countries do when one of their own goes missing.  

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

After only five days without contact, no, I would not, I would not even think about it.

Maybe not you, no. Other people actually care about their family, I guess? 🤷🏻‍♂️

He's a UK citizen missing and the UK authorities too need to up the ante and do what all countries do when one of their own goes missing. 

Missing?..or just an adult on holiday who hasn't been in contact for five days?

"...the UK authorities too need to up the ante and do what all countries do when one of their own goes missing".

Really?  Which are "all those countries" and what do they do when an adult on holiday doesn't phone home for five days?  Any examples?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1