Is Vietnam going to be next retirement

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

YouTubers are adamant Vietnam is cheaper!!! 😳

Booze and cigarettes are cheaper, for sure. If you are a heavy drinker and smoker, you can save a lot. But almost everything else is more expensive - from food in supermarkets to clothes to electronics.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No retirement visa there and there never will be.

Yep. Thailand is better even visa-wise. I'm not retired, but I've been in Thailand 4 years straight on tourists visas and exemptions.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No retirement visa there and there never will be.

Next

Well there will be eventually .

Never say never ,the next generation are moving in.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I spent 18 months there but that was over 55 years ago.  Weather similar to here, as are beaches, mountains, and jungle.  The people from what I read are great and welcome foreigners. The food is good too.

Some say the immigration is better.  Taxes ? I have no idea.  But we may find out over the next year or so here.  In any case, most of the readers here in 10-20 years of sucking up the pollution it might be a moot point.

Yes most of them will be gone 😂

Just wondering how the corruption level and practice is there, as widely spread and exercised as in Thailand?

as for some, under the table payment to facilitate visas and other arrangements are very important

for their staying...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The question is.

As the next generation say 10-20 years from now when some of you will not be posting..

YouTubers are saying DA NANG in Vietnam is the next Pattaya in terms of retirement without the Go Go bars I suspect 

Every where now in YouTube is retirees particularly American posting their retirement in DA NANG , in Vietnam 

I'm fascinated by this new fetish 

Apparently Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand 

Is DA NANG the next retirement for next generation 

I want to check this place out , apparently cheaper , better visas?

I don't think so ,?

Vietnam,is the next generation who are going to massively retire there?

Da Nang is only good for maybe 5 months of the year.  Hot season is pretty intense and rainy/winter season can be cold and miserable at times.  Also, with all the development they are well and truly on their way to ruining that place.  I give it another 10 years maybe.  It's a nice getaway right now so enjoy it while you can.

Edited by shdmn

41 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well there will be eventually .

Never say never ,the next generation are moving in.

Most countries in the world are not Interested in inviting foreigners to retire.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Define 'poor'?

Is it someone who gets paid 10x the local wage for doing nothing?

When the local wage is so small that the base foreign pension is 10x the local wage, yes, that's poor. A millionaire (US dollars, not baht or dong) can retire almost anywhere.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Presnock said:

I spent 18 months there but that was over 55 years ago.  Weather similar to here, as are beaches, mountains, and jungle.  The people from what I read are great and welcome foreigners. The food is good too.

Some say the immigration is better.  Taxes ? I have no idea.  But we may find out over the next year or so here.  In any case, most of the readers here in 10-20 years of sucking up the pollution it might be a moot point.

Were you there on 14JUL1967?

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Were you there on 14JUL1967?

I am pretty sure that I was there then.  But, even before that, Danang AB was called Rocket City.  Went through quite a few of those during my stint there.  We flew out of Danang daily and after too many rockt attacks and loss of acft, they moved our acft to CamRanh Bay for protection but we still had to stay in Rocket City - our acft would pick us up at the end of the runway and drop us off later at the end of the runway again.  They were just worried about losing any of those acft, not the rear-end crew members.  Our crews lived in tent city.  Not too long after that summer we moved  to Okinawa and flew on jets versus the 130's.  Longer flights but that was the beginning of a lot more trained folks and though they flew a lot less, they certainly complained more.  It was sorta like being in the war but then again it wasn't, as much danger was removed.  We still got chased chased off orbi by VN, Chinese and Russians.  A real growing-up experience but prepared me well for a successful career and now that allows me to live well in Thailand and hope that continues for quite some time.  I take it, that you too were there on that BIG and successful attack by the NVA.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I am living in a foreign country instead of my native country but I am not trying to change anything here.

Your very presence here changes things here willy-nilly.

• Thanks 1