Why get the bus to Bangkok?

georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why does the OP always start every thread with he saw some old man do [this]? He adds in shirtless, drunk and/or abusive as it fits his story.

I seem to remember he's 62 and has no clue about Pattaya so why does he start so many threads always judging people?

Blah blah blah ,62 nope

Give it a rest Ranting Ron 

And put that shirt back on ,no one wanna see ya old man boobs 😳

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

It doesn't avoid all the traffic. It makes the amount of time you are in traffic the absolute minimum amount. Until they get a Star Trek like transporter, this is the best way I've found.

right, so no actual benefit then.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe he doesn't want or own a car.  So <฿200 for the bus, Patts to BKK.

Patts bus depot to Ekamai bus depot is ~140 kms.   That's 10 L of petrol (91) in my old iCEV, so round up to ฿400.   Tolls, haven't a clue ฿100 ?

But wait, there's more.  Daughter just bought a car, and bank note will be ฿15k a month for 4 yrs, and I think she put about ~฿160k down.   After the first year, needs to pay for car insurance, ~฿1000 a month.

Then there's that yearly tax, two oil changes, if ICEV, IF driving 20k kms  year.   So you think that trip to BKK from Patts only cost ฿500 ... :cheesy:

Did we mention safer by bus ... :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Chris Daley said:

The big ones are nice.  Air conditioning, food, lots of leg space.  And staff put your luggage away.

I corrected a spelling error for you........🤔

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe he doesn't want or own a car.  So <฿200 for the bus, Patts to BKK.

Patts bus depot to Ekamai bus depot is ~140 kms.   That's 10 L of petrol (91) in my old iCEV, so round up to ฿400.   Tolls, haven't a clue ฿100 ?

But wait, there's more.  Daughter just bought a car, and bank note will be ฿15k a month for 4 yrs, and I think she put about ~฿160k down.   After the first year, needs to pay for car insurance, ~฿1000 a month.

Then there's that yearly tax, two oil changes, if ICEV, IF driving 20k kms  year.   So you think that trip to BKK from Patts only cost ฿500 ... :cheesy:

Did we mention safer by bus ... :coffee1:

lol at comparing a bus ride to owning a car !

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Assuming they get off at the airport, bus is a good option. Still would take a taxi or grab within Pattaya to the bus station 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 9:51 AM, EVENKEEL said:

1200 thb is about right. I pay 1800 from Ban Chang to BKK. 

Maybe it's her plan all along?

"If I can just roll him to the bus then that's my som tam for the year paid"

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

lol at comparing a bus ride to owning a car !

No ... actual cost of 140 kms or 20k kms a year, if one drives that much vs public trans, when needed.  Drive less than 20k a year, and per kms cost are more.

Unless you own a 328k baht Celerio and getting 20 kpL, then I'd take the bus anyway .. :cheesy:

Just did a quick calculation of our last ICEV, and over 2 yrs & 40k kms, cost 420k bath, or ~10.5 baht per kms.   140 kms to BKK cost approx. 1470 baht, all things being equal vs <200 baht for the bus.

Paid 700k

sold 400k

cost 300k

petrol 100k

ins 12k

tax 2k

oil changes 6k

420k / 40k = 10.5 per km

True cost per kms of car ownership.  Didn't own it long enough for tune-up or tire & brake replacements, aside any oops.

Edited by KhunLA

On 5/8/2024 at 10:00 PM, bkk6060 said:

Bus way too annoying.   Garlic and pizza breathe, loud talkers various languages, talking on phone, phone ding ding and that terrible "Line" notification mouse voice.

Plus, if you have one with a toilet it stinks so bad.  I have a car now it is great, but only taxi if I didn't. 

what bus are you taking???

who has the pizza breath?  thais??? are they all splitting a pie at the station b4 boarding???..if they are taking a bus maybe to save for the $$$ pizza later!

loud talkers??? most thais I see on the bus are out like a light in 5 mins and is much quieter than a tourist van of backpackers

all the supposed phone noises etc?...is why i bring earplugs or wear my headphones and listen to music....

i like to have a toilet esp on a bus.....maybe dont book a seat next to one and the nice buse keep that area clean and contained

but you do you....i love the local bus..windows down..beat up..all locals....is why im in LOS after all --to immerse myself in thai

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

id take the train if going to BKK from CM as its a long haul..can move around on train...sleep in  a bed..eat..even shower.....

and i did it in 3rd class from HH...........def a local exp....on a bus your stuck in a seat..i already got stuck in a seat for 24 hrs just getting to LOS....if in a rush ill fly to bkk......but cant say ive ever felt the need to go to BKK to begin with,,,,

I do take the green bus to chaing rai then switch to local bus to C.Khong.....windows down and living the dream with locals

get out of your comfort zone once in awhile....its where the good stuff is...or just be a hiso baby and take 1st class.....

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:29 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I really can't understand farangs  especially old guys heaving luggage up to the Jomtien bus station to save a few hundred baht 

I saw a elderly farang yesterday,with his Thai GF trying to pull his luggage up the hill sweating dodging traffic etc 

There two of them why not fork out that extra 800 baht for a Air conditioning car?

They are paying around 150 b each for the bus I believe  and a taxi is around 1200 

I thought I was a tight arse not going to bars to spend money but when it comes to time & comfort surely a car is quicker and more comfortable ?

Yes, you're absolutely right. 🙏

11 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

id take the train if going to BKK from CM as its a long haul..can move around on train...sleep in  a bed..eat..even shower.....

and i did it in 3rd class from HH...........def a local exp....on a bus your stuck in a seat..i already got stuck in a seat for 24 hrs just getting to LOS....if in a rush ill fly to bkk......but cant say ive ever felt the need to go to BKK to begin with,,,,

I do take the green bus to chaing rai then switch to local bus to C.Khong.....windows down and living the dream with locals

get out of your comfort zone once in awhile....its where the good stuff is...or just be a hiso baby and take 1st class.....

I've done long bus trips, BKK - CM & BKK - Phuket, and flew back both times.   Taken the bus Udon Thani to BKK, and no, would never again.   Not even a fan of trains, but better than the bus.

Taken the train seperate trips, BKK - HH,  HH - BANG SAPHAN, and a couple R/T PKK-BKK-PKK.

NO THANKS, no desire to repeat, although new trains, PKK to BKK might not be bad, but not happening with a dog.

Private car is far better, more convenient and door to door service, with a very small price difference for a foreigner. But you have those farangs that are cheap jacks and prefer to save a few pennies I guess. Those are the quality tourists Thailand loves to encourage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Private car is far better, more convenient and door to door service, with a very small price difference for a foreigner. But you have those farangs that are cheap jacks and prefer to save a few pennies I guess. Those are the quality tourists Thailand loves to encourage.

When I arrived at Suvanaphumi airport to have my 1 million baht 20 year elite visa affixed to my passport, I was driven to Immigration in a golden electric cart, with the attractive lady driver furiously blowing the horn to scatter the hapless plebeians threatening to impede my August progress. After the formalities at Immigration, I made my way to the far end of the ground floor of the arrival hall, to wait with those same plebeians for the next available bus to Jomtien, and have continued to do so on all future trips.

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2024 at 7:29 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I saw a elderly farang yesterday,with his Thai GF trying to pull his luggage up the hill sweating dodging traffic etc 

There two of them why not fork out that extra 800 baht for a Air conditioning car?

How do you know that they were going to the bus station and, if they were, how do you know where they were travelling to and the cost?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How do you know that they were going to the bus station and, if they were, how do you know where they were travelling to and the cost?

That's a great point, they may have had bus tickets to Nong Khai or Changmai whereby a bus from Pattaya to the Bangkok bus interchange makes perfect sense

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

GG didnt see anyone, he needs to mount his magiccarpet ride and jrrk off back to Slimey Sidney, seems the patts hol is "just.a.furkkin nightmare"!! lol ggboy, catch up when I really truly visit oz! You wizard you.

• Haha 2

Living in Isaan we now catch a first class coach from Chaiyaphum.....excellent service, dirt cheap and very relaxing.....We'll never drive into BKK again....and visit about every 6/8 weeks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

The big ones are nice.  Air conditioning, food, lots of leg space.  And a slave puts your luggage away.

But.....you have a complete moron driving.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

But.....you have a complete moron driving.

That is the big draw back.....best to get a seat where you can't see the driver or you'll never relax.....also, best to travel when the traffic is heavy 9am/3pm....so they the idiots can't get a head of steam up

Edited by Will B Good

On 5/9/2024 at 2:52 AM, gargamon said:

I take the airport bus all the time when I'm going to actual Bangkok. Bus to the airport then train to Bangkok then bolt to my destination. Much better than taking a taxi direct to Bangkok and sitting in all that traffic.

When I go to my hotel in Bangkok from Pattaya , I take Bells. Picks me up at home, then big bus to BkK , and the mini bus to hotel.  Very comfy and good service no waiting or hanging about or carrying.  If I go to the airport I take a taxi. But I must admit I feel safer in a bus.  For a few years now though ,  I ask a lady driver taxi who doesn’t use her phone while driving. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

5 minutes of traffic instead of 90 minutes is a great advantage.

Right.... So.

Catch motosai to bus..

Wait for bus.

Catch bus to airport..

Wait for train..

Catch train into city..

Order bolt.

Wait for bolt to arrive..

sit in traffic to reach final destination.

How long does this process take ?

Last time I took a cab from Pattaya to Bangkok I think I was lucky to get there in one piece. The driver was an absolute maniac. I've sworn that in future, if not driving myself, I'll use a big bus.

• Like 2