Why get the bus to Bangkok?

georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, gargamon said:

The money has nothing to do with it. Anything is better than sitting in Bangkok traffic so I'll do everything I can to minimize that. The bus ride, train, then bolt is the least stressful means of getting to somewhere in Bangkok.

The only traffic you will encounter on the journey in a taxi would be:

1 - from your door to the highway

2 - from the highway to your destination 

If you get the bus, it's pretty much the same:

1a - From your door to the bus station 

1b - From the bus station to the highway 

2 - From the airport to your destination 

If you just prefer the bus, that's fine. We all have preferences. But there is no way that you're avoiding traffic by doing so.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I could not possibly imagine a more convenient journey than traveling with a small  back pack, to stroll across Thrappaya from VT 5, or from VT 1 or2 to get on a large coach to the airport. But sadly I do not live there, and don't want to get to the airport already sweated up. 

Sure. If ether living next to the pickup, and/or if the airport is your final destination, then that makes the equation a bit different.

13 hours ago, gargamon said:

5 minutes of traffic instead of 90 minutes is a great advantage.

Please show your workings...

Edited by JayClay

10 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Maybe, but we were discussing travel by bus, not train.

My posts in this thread were about getting to Bangkok from Pattaya using the bus and train. Going to the airport I almost always use a taxi.

Just now, gargamon said:

My posts in this thread were about getting to Bangkok from Pattaya using the bus and train. Going to the airport I almost always use a taxi.

No... We were specifically discussed the bus. However, just for you...

If you get the train, it's pretty much the same:

1 - From your door to the train station 

If you just prefer the bus or train, that's fine. We all have preferences. But there is no way that you're avoiding traffic by using either method.

54 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No... We were specifically discussed the bus. However, just for you...

If you get the train, it's pretty much the same:

1 - From your door to the train station 

If you just prefer the bus or train, that's fine. We all have preferences. But there is no way that you're avoiding traffic by using either method.

Why didnt you say that the first time!!!! waaaaaa., 🥺

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Private car is far better, more convenient and door to door service, with a very small price difference for a foreigner. But you have those farangs that are cheap jacks and prefer to save a few pennies I guess. Those are the quality tourists Thailand loves to encourage.

Getting snobby and superior over choosing to take a taxi rather than a bus is laughable. Even worse that you think that somehow qualifies you to think of yourself as a quality tourist as a result. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Private car is far better, more convenient and door to door service, with a very small price difference for a foreigner. But you have those farangs that are cheap jacks and prefer to save a few pennies I guess. Those are the quality tourists Thailand loves to encourage.

So when I'm at Krung Thep and take the less expensive pubic trans, the bus, instead of driving, or a taxi, that means I'm not a quality tourist or expat.

Being a non alcohol drinker or using P4P services and have a few million in assets with wife invested, and sending daughter to Uni .. and I'm not a quality tourist or expat.  Where's my pedestal so I can look down on you all :cheesy:

image.gif.cff3bfb69a3c65eabc1e8c714ee97f76.gif

Not that any of those who do indulge in such, means they are not quality.  As long as almost legal & must be consenting adults.

Being thrifty or just enjoy a less expensive mode of transport, defines ones quality ...

... interesting, as I know a lot of well off A-holes that are the lowest of human beings.  Both in their actions & thinking :coffee1:

Some folks do things by choice, even though having other options, and some smartly live within their means.

Yea, what he or she said below seems about right ..

36 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Getting snobby and superior over choosing to take a taxi rather than a bus is laughable. Even worse that you think that somehow qualifies you to think of yourself as a quality tourist as a result. 

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The bus is much better then a private car or taxi.

Just like economy flights are much better then business class. After all, economy is fun.

If only economy flights had as generous leg room as the Airport Bus from Jomtien to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A lot of people are sort of fan-boys of public transit.

I used to work at the Subway Museum in Brooklyn. It was very popular with international tourists. Occasionally, they would offer the chance to ride in an old subway car for a couple of hours. These tickets would sell out as fast as Taylor Swift concerts. The London Transit Museum def gets some visitors too.

I'm a bit of an infrastructure buff myself. I visited The Hoover Dam and The Paris Sewers. On my Morocco tour recently, we visited an irrigation system. Fairly interesting to see how they grow an olive tree in the desert.

I made it a point to take the train from the BKK airport straight to the pristinely preserved, 70's style Asia Hotel once. You alight the train and can walk directly into the hotel, like in Japan. 

There's also a chatty social aspect to transit that people enjoy.

Edited by Prubangboy

Tried the bus routine a couple of times for the “experience “.  Twice was enough for many of the reasons already mentioned.

Now it’s Nam taxi for Airport and Yuri for BKK city.  No issues with the drivers.

Same with flying.  Before I would alternate between business and economy or premium economy (if available).  I can’t be bothered anymore so business now is standard if under or about 4K USD from the USA.

Made some good decisions in life (and some bad) so enjoying the benefits of the good.  Suppose I’m fortunate or blessed after reading about all those in need of “go fund me” accounts, especially in Thailand.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The bus is much better then a private car or taxi.

Just like economy flights are much better then business class. After all, economy is fun.

Must be my age... that is fun I can pass on!