Why is the Thai Countryside full of discarded rubbish?

stix40

29 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Sort your countryside out

It's not just the countryside. 

I live in Pattaya, when I visit 7eleven I regularly see the Thai's discarding litter on the footpath outside the store. Items like the plastic that covers the straw on their drinks, or the cigarette packets, plastic and foil paper within cigarette box are thrown on the ground. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's not just the countryside. 

I live in Pattaya, when I visit 7eleven I regularly see the Thai's discarding litter on the footpath outside the store. Items like the plastic that covers the straw on their drinks, or the cigarette packets, plastic and foil paper within cigarette box are thrown on the ground. 

Well it's the young that will suffer

It's their future it's their country 

This generation of parents going back maybe 10 year 

Teach no respect 

It's going the way the west has gone 

Great shame ! 

• Confused 1

That's it 

Proper disposal methods needed badly 

Government should make it a priority 

Short sighted Mac Mac ! 

Young Thai stand up and be counted 

Look after your countryside 

And it will look after you 

All take and no give back 

Cannot go on for ever ! 

Show other countries what you can achieve.

Obviously by the response to this topic 

It's a big concern !

Action needed on a nation scale 

Go out today and pick up some rubbish near your house 

It's a start ! 

From small acorns 

Oak tree grow.

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

They haven't been educated. 

Before plastic came along all packaging was organic. Thai's would eat their food etc. then throw the banana leaf (or whatever the packaging material) into the bushes where it would compost. 

These days every thing is packaged in plastic. 

BULL.

Every Thai nowadays knows about plastic and littering.

They just don't care.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think we have a single waste incineration plant in Thailand. Put together some infrastructure and hire a crew of workers to collect plastic, wood/leaves and other garbage. Less PM2.5, less plastic but electricity to sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

BULL.

Every Thai nowadays knows about plastic and littering.

They just don't care.

You're becoming very annoying Mr FruitPudding. 

You are always replying with hostility, constantly disagreeing with me. 😡

Do you understand some people here have different options. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are always replying with hostility, constantly disagreeing with me. 😡

Do you understand some people here have different options. 

Well, then it's OK if we have different opinions, right?

53 minutes ago, Forrests Father said:

I don't think we have a single waste incineration plant in Thailand. Put together some infrastructure and hire a crew of workers to collect plastic, wood/leaves and other garbage. Less PM2.5, less plastic but electricity to sell.

Exactly and that's not catering for all the tourists that come here 

They want quality tourist 

Then make litter and rubbish collection a priority 

7 hours ago, Forrests Father said:

Incorrect.

In 2016, Bangkok opened its first waste-to-energy incinerator in the district of Nong Khaem, turning up to 500 metric tons of solid waste into electricity every day.

From this article:

https://news.mongabay.com/2022/12/as-waste-to-energy-incinerators-spread-in-southeast-asia-so-do-concerns/

Just a few comments, particularly as it relates to 'education'.

As I observed 'education' and 'civilized society', I came to the conclusion that being civilized is a prerequisite to education.

I remember thinking about the Vikings, and thinking about 'educating' these people. Nah, no way, must get civilized before.

"What is civilization in simple words?

A civilization is generally defined as an advanced state of human society containing highly developed forms of government, culture, industry, and common social norms. Of course, not all scholars agree with this definition. In fact, there is much debate over what constitutes a civilization and what does not."

And as it relates to Thailand: "highly developed forms of government", coup after coup after coup. Then "culture and common social norms", as they intertwine. Common social norms, application of laws of the land, hummm. Courtesy on the roads, hummm. Fairness in the application of the laws, hummm. The freedom of one stops where the freedom of the other starts, hummm.

This country is simply not civilized, even though the highly educated people certainly are....

And regarding socio-economics, I remember as a child, living in poor areas, farmers, blue-collar workers.

Civilization was there, we could not see thrash everywhere. The culture was there. We put thrash together, and leave them for collection, governed by an already developed form of government.

In Thailand, just large bags of thrash, with small garbage items thrown close by on the ground. And poor people driving by collecting plastic and recyclables, having to sort them out of the thrash bags. I still look at them thinking that people, all of them, do not care a bit about the people collecting the recyclables. Not a bit, the level of selfishness is right there for everyone to see. I am definitely the only one who separates recyclables from thrash. And I see people coming out of the 7-11 with their goods, and throwing on the ground their purchase bill, right next to the supplied garbage bins.

India and the Philippines have the same level of civilization, based on pics available...

On 5/11/2024 at 6:10 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Generally in Pattaya the road sweepers do a good job, i see them out 6am. In my soi a couple of ladies come who sweep for a hobby it seems

We had a few ladies who swept roads for a time but haven't seen them lately, when I lived in Chiang Mai there were people who cleaned different sections of the roads around the moat, they need a 1 baht deposit on all containers food and drink.

Back in 1990 I did a job in the Bluebell Woods in Kent and all around there were acres of bluebells. Nowadays there are few if any bluebells that survive the <deleted> fly tippers.

I found a link to the Daily Mail but they want me to close my Ad blocker before I can read their post. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13361073/Clear-historic-woodland-beauty-30-trucks-dumped-illegal-waste-cost-10m.html

The problem is not confined to Thailand.

I got a jungle behind my property!

I told my wife not to throw trash or garbage back there after seeing her do it!

The brother came over and started discarding his lunch wrapping over there.

On another occasion,The granddaughter the same.

The wife’s family yard is littered with trash ! The chickens are allowed to walk wild in the yard and house!

That being said , Its disgusting the hygiene education  that is taught here.

A few years ago on TV they took load of school kids out to clear all the rubbish from the roadside, they stopped for lunch and threw the polystyrene cartons in the ditch.when they'd finished. 

On 5/11/2024 at 12:18 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

gotta say i have read about beach clean groups down south...problem i have seen working in vietnam on a beach was the FISHERMEN...night boats would toss all kinds of trash off boat for it all to appear again on the shore the next day.....

Don't you want a clean country sticky ?

Have you gone native 

And dump <deleted>e out the car window etc 

because there are no rubbish collecting points and the garbage trucks don't take everything with them...And try to find garbage boxes somewhere... Not a lot of people wnt to pay to collect their garbage so easier to throw away somewhere else..