Thai/European Mixed Race

Hi all,

Maybe a bit blunt way of putting it but from your own experiences how do Thai/Northern European mixes look? As someone about to father one I have been doing some research and to me it looks like Thai genetics are quite dominant vs euro genes and if you're lucky you might get some lighter skin and a nose coming through. I have a white friend who has a daughter with a thai woman and she genuinely just looks like a light skin version of her mother. I guess this is to be expected as european genes are recessive but maybe I'm wrong and there can be a diverse range of looks.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Totally agree that it varies widely.

FWIW (and of course anecdotal evidence proves nothing) pretty much everyone says that our half-Thai, half-English daughter looks completely European, with barely a hint of Asiatic features. For instance, she has a distinctly aquiline nose, a feature very common with the women on my mother's side of the family.

We know other Thai-European couples with children who look almost completely Thai - although I'd say most look like a 50-50 mix of the two gene pools.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

All the Thai's say my son looks very Western. 

All the Westerners say my son looks very Asian.

That about sums it up, at least in many cases. All about perceptions.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I have twins.

Boy has curly hair like my grandfather (and me as a child) and white skin, farang appearance (shorter than his twin) and a squarish face (Thai i guess), western nose.

Girl has Thai nose, Thai completion (slightly darker) straight hair till her neck then goes curly, more like a mixed thai/westerner.

I'll update when the Third one arrives.

Oh should add, wife is Half Chinese Thai, Half Thai, father in-law Chinese Thai, Mother in-law Thai (South).

I am Judea-anglo-romani if that helps.

Should add, Thai babies (farang-Thai/Thai) all look like ugly ducklins when born and blossom within a few months...

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Confused 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:29 PM, LDN94 said:

Hi all,

Maybe a bit blunt way of putting it but from your own experiences how do Thai/Northern European mixes look? As someone about to father one I have been doing some research and to me it looks like Thai genetics are quite dominant vs euro genes and if you're lucky you might get some lighter skin and a nose coming through. I have a white friend who has a daughter with a thai woman and she genuinely just looks like a light skin version of her mother. I guess this is to be expected as european genes are recessive but maybe I'm wrong and there can be a diverse range of looks.

It ranges from "beauty" to "ugly". Fingers crossed🙏

• Sad 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:29 AM, LDN94 said:

Hi all,

It might be depending of genes, i.e. how strong your genes become in the mix. My mixed Thai-Northern European-daughter don't look Thai or Asian at all, but typical Northern European. Also her hair is the thin Caucasian-variety, not the thick Asian. Both my daughter and I attended the Geno 2.0-project, her first reference population is German, with second reference as Kinh (Vietnam).

"You" in the graphic from GENO 2.0 is my mixed Thai-Northern European (Danish) daughter's first reference...

image.jpeg.3036b91b438a3fe246d506266def96c1.jpeg

The text states:

YOUR FIRST REFERENCE POPULATION: GERMAN
This reference population is based on samples collected from people native to Germany. The dominant 46% Northern European component likely reflects the earliest settlers in Europe, hunter-gatherers who arrived there more than 35,000 years ago. The 36% Mediterranean and 17% Southwest Asian percentages probably arrived later, with the spread of agriculture from the Fertile Crescent in the Middle East over the past 10,000 years. As these early farmers moved into Europe, they spread their genetic patterns as well. Today, northern and central European populations retain links to both the earliest Europeans and these later migrants from the Middle East

2nd reference...

image.jpeg.2dd500e884ecc707524585b7fbb829a2.jpeg

YOUR SECOND REFERENCE POPULATION: KINH (VIETNAM)
This reference population is based on samples collected from the Kinh ethnic group living in Vietnam, the largest ethnic group in the country.  The 57% Northeast Asian and 43% Southeast Asian percentages are representative of migrations in East Asia, with the Northeast Asian component likely coming from the earliest settlers in eastern Siberia and northern China. The Southeast Asian component reflects mixing with groups that originated further south

However, my daughter is more Neanderthal and Denisovan than I (1.5% and 1.0%)...

YOUR HOMINID ANCESTRY
1.8% NEANDERTHAL
2.2% DENISOVAN

When our ancestors first migrated out of Africa around 60,000 years ago, they were not alone. At that time, at least two other species of hominid cousins walked the Eurasian landmass: Neanderthals and Denisovans. Most non-Africans are about 2% Neanderthal. The Denisovan component of your Geno 2.0 results is more experimental, as we are still working to determine the best way to assess the percentage Denisovan ancestry you carry. The evolution of this data is another way you are actively involved in helping advance knowledge of anthropological genetics!

Neanderthals, the better known of the two species, left Africa about 300,000 years ago and settled in Europe and parts of western Asia. The Denisovans are a much more recent addition to the human family tree. In 2008, paleoanthropologists digging in a cave in southern Siberia unearthed a 40,000-year-old adult tooth and an exquisitely preserved fossilized pinkie bone that had belonged to a young girl who was between five and seven years old when she died.

Maybe a bit blunt way of putting it but

Maybe a bit blunt way of putting it but some of the children which their mothers claim are mixed race are actually Thai/Thai... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

My 12yo son is as white as can be, with reddish brown hair. Thai people all assumed his  Thai mom was the nanny for a western couple.

Type O blood, same as me.

Edited by BritManToo

Funny how many farangs seem ashamed of the looks from their thai wives and try to compensate with how their mixed children look.

Time to wake up and understand for most of the Thai nationalists, anything that is not pure and fully Thai is just another this or that. All foreigners are put in the same bucket, no matter what some may claim. Be nice, respectful, polite towards all in Thailand, be them foreign or local and you'll be fine. Be rude or an arrogant flaunting your money in a vulgar manner, then no matter if full phalang or mixed blood, the locals will look down on you. Simple maths.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:40 AM, richard_smith237 said:

There are no hard and fast rules...    It varies...

All the Thai's say my son looks very Western. 

All the Westerners say my son looks very Asian.

Ditto. People always see the difference first, it's a natural human thing. In France my son is Asian, in Thailand he is "farang noi".

• Agree 1

On 5/15/2024 at 2:15 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Funny how many farangs seem ashamed of the looks from their thai wives and try to compensate with how their mixed children look.

Got no problem with my children having thai features, this post is curiosity more than anything.