Thai U-Turn on Cannabis: Protests and Lawsuits Loom

webfact

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, webfact said:

Two years ago, Thailand decriminalised cannabis, classing it as a 'controlled herb' and leaving its recreational use unrestricted. 

In 2021 Thailand removed kratom from the list of prohibited substances. Justification doesn't appear to be science-based or medical-based. Rather it was cited that "its consumption is part of traditional Thai cultural norms, and allowed possession and consumption. Decriminalization was aimed at encouraging economic activity." Sept. 15, 2022 https://tilleke.com

Decriminalization of cannabis followed shortly thereafter, primarily as another economic incentive.

But it seems the new Thai government has now labeled cannabis as a 'bad foreign influence.' And without any scientific justification or proven medical malfeasance, treating cannabis like all unauthorized drugs coming into Thailand illegally as an attack on the Thai people.

It's like the new government feels it must show it is even more nationalistic (and xenophobic?) than the military-led government to remain in power, ie., through the next election against growing populism towards more individual freedom.

Edited by Srikcir
2 msp's
  • Agree 1

Introduce a law that tells all Thai's it's fine to become a pothead and all shops and roadside shacks are welcome.

what could possibly go wrong     !

I'm in a circus ....   tickets please '    ......       all clown jobs are full     !!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, pleple said:

Everything is bad here everybody go back to homelands sounds like thais liked it better in Covid times I certainly did now it blame a ferang it’s all their fault 

cry baby cry 

You have issues I think.  Go see a Doctor.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

All this back tracking since the fugitive was allowed back and let off with his prison sentence what about the 10,000 baht promised to all those 16 and over that to will be reversed. Come the next election this bunch of so called ministers will be sent to the abyss by the voting public to many old men with no idea to Move Forward to enhance the countries prosperity 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Who knows if, when or how this is really going to play out, but one thing is certain... It will be as ham handed as the legalization / decriminalization was handled back in June 2022.

• Like 1

It really disappoints me when everything goes just as my pessimistic mind

thinks it will, all I ask is for a few surprises, even if they are nasty ones!

The whole decriminalization fiasco was almost certainly the product of complete incompetence

and utter lack forthought. Of course they will eventually get back around to fixing

such a mistake and they will make it a criminal offense again.

I don't undersatnd the assertion

you hear again and again, "Ya can't put toothpaste back in in the tube!"

Yes you can put toothpaste back tube. Period.

Think about it. You put it back in the tube the same 

way you put it in the first time. Maybe you personally cannot put toothpaste back

in a tube, and i cannot, but thats only because we are not willing to invest say 10,000,000 bhat

in a toothpaste tube filling machine. These people are in the toothpaste business,

they not only have that machine, they have a whole damn factory.

The other completely predictable one is that now that you have Thaksin

back in charge as police state commisioner, grabbing people's milk and cookie money

as he needs it, with him as your guy,  his drug wars and vice crack downs come as part of the package,

his drug war was an important piece of his whole

modus in the early 2000's, I'm sure he was quite pleased with it as he took it to outrageous lengths,

I can't imagine you can have a Thaksin government without a drug war

or other crusade on some other minority group like the Muslims in the south,

its like his hobby to do those kinds of things

and he can;t very well start attacking gay people or something in this day and age as much as I can imagine he'd like to, so

might as well start attacking potheads as the appetizer, before you go after maybe say the entire Thai middle class.

haul off an order the police to shoot any middle management type for being an alcoholic or drunk in the office something

and then as the main course put the workers in prison camps and blame them as being a health hazard to tourists 

as they had the lowest rate of vaccination against latest covid strain. "Sorry we'll have to send them to the ovens."

That MOve Forward guy seemed to have a boyscouts attitude, "Potheads bad! Go to prison! Not to the ovens though..."

But you feel sorry for him they wouldnt let him be the guy to do that.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

this shows how rotten this country is ,way down to the core.

Do you think the USA isn't corrupt? The U.S. government is at war with the Mexican drug cartels, yet it is heavily involved with the tobacco industry, which kills more than 400,000 Americans a year. Now, that's real corruption!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just look at what the criminalization of drugs has resulted in, in the US. Millions have been locked up, and billions have been spent. And we ended up with the cartels and huge problems in Mexico. 

Legalize everything except Fentanyl. Take out the Chinese producers of it. Somehow. A death penalty for those involved in the distribution of it. Otherwise, let people do what they want. Demand will likely  drop. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is an incredible betrayal of the Thai people and the people who have invested their life savings in these shops and these businesses, and the government needs to be held accountable, and punished in whatever way possible, and to the severest extent possible. 

This is a flip flop of historic proportions and should never be forgotten. Ganja doesn't kill but alcohol does. So does the government of monopoly on Tobacco. 

Non of these stores follow the orign idea and law, so what to epect?

• Confused 1

Just heard on the local grapevine that there is a curfew in Bangkok for next weekend in the expectation of street protests. 

Before anyone goes on the attack, I can’t vouch for the truth in it nor whether it is related to this? All I can say is that I was just told by a local tourist restaurant owner. 

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You might as well ban alcohol and cigarettes I'm sure the could come up scientific evidence that they are just as bad, Close all the bars and nightclubs, 

I reckon the evidence will show that booze and cigs are worse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

Introduce a law that tells all Thai's it's fine to become a pothead and all shops and roadside shacks are welcome.

what could possibly go wrong     !

I'm in a circus ....   tickets please '    ......       all clown jobs are full     !!

So do the current alcohol laws encourage all Thais to become an alcoholic?    mom and pop shops, 7/11, and major supermarkets all very welcome. what could possibly go wrong ?   As regards cannabis what exactly did go wrong ?  answer,, nothing , exactly as expected, despite the best efforts of the media and all the other naysayers,

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is an incredible betrayal of the Thai people and the people who have invested their life savings in these shops and these businesses, and the government needs to be held accountable, and punished in whatever way possible, and to the severest extent possible. 

This is a flip flop of historic proportions and should never be forgotten. Ganja doesn't kill but alcohol does. So does the government of monopoly on Tobacco. 

The people at the top are masters of betraying the Thai people, look at the farce called a democratic election....

• Thumbs Up 1

The decriminalizing of cannabis was a last resort tactic by the previous dictatorship led by Prayut Can-o_cha to gain votes. If you didn’t realise that and decided to open a cannabis shop thinking everything would be okay with a new government, then you were gravely mistaken.

• Confused 1

The decriminalizing of cannabis was a last resort tactic by the previous dictatorship led by Prayut Can-o_cha to gain votes. If you didn’t realise that and decided to open a cannabis shop thinking everything would be okay with a new government, then you were gravely mistaken.

• Sad 2