High Rise Condo Overhanging Swimming Pools

EVENKEEL

These infinity pools on the edge of high rise pools look crazy to me. I wouldn't do it. Also the thought of living in a box so high up would give me the heeby geebies.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe you should have a closer look at the infinity edge.

Only because it looks like you will fall in the abys doesn't mean this is the case.

Most likely you would fall less than a meter and then a barrier will stop you from falling further.

The following is not a good example, but it shows the concept. 

infinity_Pools_Concrete_Fully_Tiled_pool

Posted (edited)

I lived at Centric Sea for 3 years....

Let me tell you about roof top pools...

The water is pretty chilly 5 months out of the year 2 months out of the 5 months the water is not chilly its simply cold....

So for almost half a year swimming is not very pleasant at all..

Edited by redwood1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you should have a closer look at the infinity edge.

Only because it looks like you will fall in the abys doesn't mean this is the case.

Most likely you would fall less than a meter and then a barrier will stop you from falling further.

The following is not a good example, but it shows the concept. 

infinity_Pools_Concrete_Fully_Tiled_pool

I saw the one below in a condo add on facebook from Pattaya

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's nice to have a fantastic view night and day.

Sukhumvit.png.2eacf79060980d257f5a4201b6af0650.png

Nice view for a hotel. It would feel weird living there. But hey, we're all different. I live in a house on a noisy soi full of traffic. 

16 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I lived at Centric Sea for 3 years....

Let me tell you about roof top pools...

The water is pretty chilly 5 months out of the year 2 months out of the 5 months the water is not chilly its simply cold....

So for almost half a year swimming is not very pleasant at all..

I lived for a year at the Edge in Pattaya and the rooftop pool was quite nice, only spoilt at times by the Chinese bringing their cameras into the pool...they just can't go anywhere alone and need to constantly inform their peers back home.

Overall, the temperature of the water was good all year round. On the lower deck way down, yes, there the water was cool too, terrific in high summer.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I saw the one below in a condo add on facebook from Pattaya

Have a closer look and you will see nobody will fall down the outside of the building even if they would get out of the swimming pool.

pool.png.117d6cc1c7f8d943a1793bcc89f747dc.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nice view for a hotel. It would feel weird living there. But hey, we're all different. I live in a house on a noisy soi full of traffic. 

I see the traffic, and the SkyTrain, when I look out of my windows. But I don't hear any of it because I am far above it.

We also have no mosquitos in high floors. 

The only downside I see is that I need 5min in the lift from my condominium door until I am out of the building. But I can live with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

You do realise it’s a piece of glass 200-300mm thick and 600mm above the waterline ?

I realize it's creepy. I understand 1 cu M of water is nearly 1000 kg. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Have a closer look and you will see nobody will fall down the outside of the building even if they would get out of the swimming pool.

pool.png.117d6cc1c7f8d943a1793bcc89f747dc.png

It's not just about falling out, no thanks. I also think about the structural engineering. Sort of like some of those high rise balconies with no upright support, just free standing off the side of building.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Infinity pool = small and shallow. A joke for a swimming pool.

It has to be small and shallow of course, otherwise the strain on the structure would not be tenable.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Agree.

I took this photo while visiting my friend recently. 

Look at this brave woman, exercising on that overhanging ledge. What a girl.

IMG_20240512_103647.jpg

this isnt about pools at at..your creepy pic makes it quite clear.......wonder how she feels about you taking her pic as you dont even live there....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

your creepy pic

While we are on the subject of CREEPY. 

I haven't seen a creepier name on AN forum..... Sticky Rice Balls. 🫨

Your comment is very creepy, look at her, smack in the middle, in the view of hundreds of condos, she's an exhibitionist, probably an OnlyFans woman.  

BTW, I asked her if it was OK for me to take her photos, now go away and mind your own business. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I realize it's creepy. I understand 1 cu M of water is nearly 1000 kg. 

It's not just about falling out, no thanks. I also think about the structural engineering. Sort of like some of those high rise balconies with no upright support, just free standing off the side of building.

Yes indeed - I would be very dubious about the structure safety in Thailand.

That pool look 20M x 10M a 1M and that amount of water weighs 200,000 Kilos.

No chance I will ever get in that pool or anything like it in Thailand.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

Infinity pool = small and shallow. A joke for a swimming pool.

It has to be small and shallow of course, otherwise the strain on the structure would not be tenable.

Spouse and I owned condos at Centric Sea and The Base.  Both had rooftop pools and they both had normal depth for condo pools--probably around 120 or 130 cm.  Certainly they were deep enough to swim in.  The large pool at our Bangkok condo is also 120 cm deep--I think a lot of newer condo pools are around that depth unless they have some feature that requires more depth--such as the rock climbing wall at the Unixx pool.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

These infinity pools on the edge of high rise pools look crazy to me. I wouldn't do it. Also the thought of living in a box so high up would give me the heeby geebies.

That reminds me of one of the condos I owned in the US.  It was on the 13th floor and I had never lived higher than the 3rd floor anywhere.  I remember the first time my sister--also my realtor--and I went on the balcony when we were viewing the condo before I bought it.  Neither one of us would get close to the railing--we stayed far back by the balcony slider.  We were both petrified as it seemed so high up.

But, I eventually got used to the height and got comfortable with spending a lot of time on the balcony.  The first condo my spouse and I bought in Pattaya was also on the 13th floor.  But, we later had condos as high as the 29th floor and our Bangkok condo is on floor 37--which is still a bit scary when I go to the railing and look down.

13 minutes ago, newnative said:

That reminds me of one of the condos I owned in the US.  It was on the 13th floor and I had never lived higher than the 3rd floor anywhere.  I remember the first time my sister--also my realtor--and I went on the balcony when we were viewing the condo before I bought it.  Neither one of us would get close to the railing--we stayed far back by the balcony slider.  We were both petrified as it seemed so high up.

But, I eventually got used to the height and got comfortable with spending a lot of time on the balcony.  The first condo my spouse and I bought in Pattaya was also on the 13th floor.  But, we later had condos as high as the 29th floor and our Bangkok condo is on floor 37--which is still a bit scary when I go to the railing and look down.

You bought 13th floor and you’re still alive? 

12 hours ago, HighPriority said:

@EVENKEEL I guess you won’t be going to this temple up in Isaan then ? 🤣

Ill confess to not having an abundance of bravado whilst up on that “construction” very happy to get down alive 👍🏼

9712AA20-6DBB-4623-A770-20228965850E.jpeg

57BFD984-B8BC-4BDC-9270-65C9FE2FD189.jpeg

I see no need to test Thailand's finest construction.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, newnative said:

Spouse and I owned condos at Centric Sea and The Base.  Both had rooftop pools and they both had normal depth for condo pools--probably around 120 or 130 cm.  Certainly they were deep enough to swim in.  The large pool at our Bangkok condo is also 120 cm deep--I think a lot of newer condo pools are around that depth unless they have some feature that requires more depth--such as the rock climbing wall at the Unixx pool.

Indeed newer pools are shallow. Because they're not built on bedrock. They're built somewhere higher where too much mass poses an engineering problem.

To me a proper pool should be neck deep in order to enable aerobics (and swimming without scraping the bottom when turning around).