Has social media made the world a better or worse place .

9 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

That's the feminism you boomers gave us!

history won't be kind on them. i feel a little sorry... but not much. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

So whats your take on the current state of social media platforms like Instagram , TikTok and Twitter ( X )

its all garbage that i will never be involved with for 200 alex. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

My extremely introverted brother who would have been a shut in on benefits became a millionaire selling on eBay and bagged some high quality eastern European ladies (vegan niche sites) back in the day. ......it was good for him.

I was adventurous and was in asia before the internet and made lots of money and girls. The internet age greatly reduced my successes . (Plus aging of course) .....social media has been Carp for me.

There's always winners and losers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Double edge sword - depends how you use it.

Twitter/X has filled a massive void since 'journalists' do ZERO journalism nowadays and free speech is not tolerated on most platforms

(eg. cofid (which went unnoticed in Africa)).

The ability to interact with, question and debate top top minds is a great thing.

Just don't forget to turn off your phone and live a life too.

Dark side is that it can be used for nefarious purposes (see facebook/cambridge analytica).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Worse by a mile, show me a kid that his/her fingers are not on some keyboard most hours of the day

24/7 taking in any BS people puts out there and acting up on it... way too much unnecessary, some dangerous 

information and way too easy accessing it...

Get your fingers off the keyboard and step away…

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ezzra said:

24/7 taking in any BS people puts out there and acting up on it... way too much unnecessary, some dangerous 

information and way too easy accessing it...

The opposite is also true.

Easier access to a wider range and less narrow-minded information than before. 

I learned a lot from online stuff. 

If you have children, maybe you can guide them in seeking out the good information and being cautious of the harmful information.

Like people do dangerous stunts and sometimes get themselves killed to get more views on their social media. So maybe you can have a chat with your kids about that if you have kids. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, tomgreen said:

I may be an old fuddy duddy and getting on in years ( 74 ) who could just be out of touch with the so called latest trends and social media goings on , so I’m now having a hard time trying to understand current social media sites like Instagram , TikTok and Twitter ( X ) .

Thinking back I fondly remember social media being a nice way to keep up with friends and family but its now it seems to have turned into a distasteful rabbit hole and wasteland for idiotic content posted by halfwitted and mindless ‘’ look at me ‘’ attention seekers. And don’t get me started by the so called ‘’ influencers ‘’ who generally seem to possess the mentality of a 12 year old .

And of course there’s the endless never ending flood of idiots posting in my mind stupid videos of them selves doing such crazy and idiotic stunts , which in many cases put the idiot in hospital or an early grave. 

In my simplistic view social media seems to have taken the concept of being stupid to the next level and now I have a strange gut feeling that It's definitely not going to get any better and almost certainly get worse .

So whats your take on the current state of social media platforms like Instagram , TikTok and Twitter ( X ) has it become a saturated cesspool full of content posted by emotionally damaged pathological narcissistic attention seekers and clickbait scams and in the long term may be responsible for our downfall due to the spread of misinformation and not forgetting the increasing AI altered videos and photographs so that we never know what's real anymore.  Or do you think the world is a better place with the likes of Instagram , TikTok and Twitter ( X ) being around. 

Tom

It has definitely revealed the seamier side of the human race... the ignorant seem to dominate the airwaves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Adults have the ability to sort out the bad information (well, most of the time) children can't, they try

to imitates others and even to out do their peers with no one watching them no matter how 'behaving'

your kids are , They're kids after all...

I never had a facebook, insta, or such accounts.

As far as I see the main problem are the kids who grow up with <deleted> like that. They see all the time people with more and better and stranger things, and all those crazy stunts and whatever else. When I was a kid the coolest I possibly was aware of was what one kid did in our school. Or maybe what I saw on evening TV with my parents. All in all nothing exiting happened around me, so my not so exiting life was just fine.

It seems now kids have to be up to date all the time about all the newest trends on tiktok or whatever. If they didn't see already that new video from abc which was released 2h ago then other kids will tell them how behind they are. If you didn't see that naked picture of that girl in the other class which her ex posted then better get it as fast as possible. And if you want to be the cool kid then you better make sure you publish outrageous things which nobody else dares to do.

Another example which I hear about is girls in bikinis. Like one girl posts a picture of herself in a bikini. The next one finds a smaller bikini. The next one has an even smaller bikini and sucks on a lollipop, the list goes on.

Kids growing up like that will be damaged, there is no way around that.

And kids without phones won't be friends with the others until they have a "phone".

If enough parents would come together and don't give their kids those screens, then things might get better. Good luck with that.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Martin71 said:

100% agree... christ knows what will become of the world when the farcebook / twatter generation become the next world leaders... hopefully I will be long gone by then, so I don't have to witness the world / society fall apart...(more than it is now)...

There is that one guy in the USA who used to use Twitter a lot before he was banned.

Then he setup his own social media...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Get your fingers off the keyboard and step away…

This forum is not social media.

Think about all those apps where people show with lots of picture and videos how great they are and how much they have and look at me.

That is social media.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

Easier access to a wider range and less narrow-minded information than before. 

I learned a lot from online stuff. 

What you describe is the internet in general and not social media.

I also look up much information on the www and watch informative videos on YouTube.

And I don't use fb or any of that crap.

• Agree 1

I view it all as "anti-social media". Imaginary friends in a superficial imaginary world. No real life interactions. Fake admiration from people who don't actually know you. It's all pretty horrible. 

It's the worst for young people who didn't grow up prior to the birth of social media, turn out as introverts and are socially inept from overuse of online communication and never really learn how to interact with people in real life.

It also results in less real life outdoor experiences and interactions with nature and the environment. Not to mention the ramifications to health from all the physical inactivity. And then hours and hours of online gaming only compounds the level of physical activity. All very sad really. 

In a way AN is not really that much different from the whole social media dilemma. All the likes and thumbs ups on posts from other anonymous users. The main difference here is nobody pretends to like each other. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This forum is not social media.

Sorry but this is a media platform and it is social

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Think about all those apps where people show with lots of picture and videos how great they are and how much they have and look at me.

That is social media.

There's a fair bit of that behaviour on here too imho - less pictures but in terms of opinions pretty much the same

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is that one guy in the USA who used to use Twitter a lot before he was banned.

Then he setup his own social media...

TBF to him, everyone with any non-mainstreat opinion was banned from twitter under the last management - kind of like TV in CoughID times

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dioj said:

It's the worst for young people who didn't grow up prior to the birth of social media, turn out as introverts and are socially inept from overuse of online communication and never really learn how to interact with people in real life.

I guess by now people will get away with never even trying to have a real life.

Friends on social media, work at home, online orders without ever talking to anybody. It seems to be possible.

I wouldn't like it, but that is irrelevant.

23 minutes ago, Dioj said:

In a way AN is not really that much different from the whole social media dilemma. All the likes and thumbs ups on posts from other anonymous users. The main difference here is nobody pretends to like each other. 

I like those likes and thumps up, etc.

I don't post with the aim in mind to get many of those. In fact, sometimes I am pretty sure not many people will like what I write.

But I think it is a good indicator for advice. I.e. someone asks where to do abc. People reply, people get reactions. If one of them has the most likes, then maybe that is a good start.

Posted (edited)

has anyone been to the AN X page?

Some of the features are the same ones featured on here.

Some don't make it on here, like this one:

Dark side of social media right there. Butt implants to get clicks. But then again, strippers have been getting implants long before social media came along. 

Instagram model Shilpa Sethi's botched butt lift left her unable to sit for months

Edited by save the frogs

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess by now people will get away with never even trying to have a real life.

maybe "real life" is over-rated.

I think kids and people in general should spend a lot of time outdoors, not stuck on your laptop or phone 24/7

but is human interaction in bars really better than just exchanging blurbs online?

• Confused 2

Pleasantville is an interesting film.

Whenever sth changes in society, there's a group of people who like the new ways of doing things and a group of people that prefer to cling to the old ways of doing things.