Just what is life like in Rural Thailand- ever wondered ?

Hat's off to both of them - and they are true content creators not just walking about with a camera on a stick in a panic over some minor drama.

If I was his age (married which I would never be at his age) I could do something like this although it would be down south and much closer to the water.

At my age and with urban wife and myself soft and enjoying cheap condo, AC and subway to fantastic malls in minutes it's day has come and gone.

It would be fun and you could make it easy. Hobby farm.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:28 PM, Lacessit said:

I can hack one or two days in my GF's village, after that boredom sets in.

There's also roosters crowing at 2 am, six of the neighbor's dogs setting up a mass howl at 3 am, and caterwauling from felines any time of the night.

The temple has loudspeakers, sometimes the monks will be broadcasting at 5 or 6 am. Peaceful my @rse.

The police don't come in, the poo yai settles any disputes.

It's a barter economy, surrounded by rice fields. Women earn 200 baht a day there, men get 300. Neighbors trade bananas, rice, frogs, chickens, eggs.

AFAIK I am the only foreigner there.

I think the trick is to not go full local and just keep it a hobby farm on outskirts of a city. Can possibly bring stuff market as well.

On 5/15/2024 at 7:12 PM, simon43 said:

I remember having to climb onto the roof of my ex's Isaan house in order to get a mobile phone signal to check my email....

Next time I brought emergency rations in the boot of my car because her mom used to feed me fish heads for lunch (she did actually like me!).

My experience was too many intestines in Isan dishes and too many whisky drinking socializing.  Some wonderful people and nature...but not my cup of cha.

I find it sadly amusing to read the drama style poor me justifications/excuses for those that have found cause to reject rural existence based on experiences that used to be true to various degrees 15 years ago.

At least in 2024 the claim that isolation from renditions  of civilization such as the ubiquitous 7/11 probably is only true  in the remote extreme  northern regions given the expansion of the PTT Fuel stops.

When I first started to live in my wife's small village house it was only  5 years after household water was made available and village streets were starting to be capped with concrete.

The majority of people were pedestrian or .rode bicycles while the  next slightly wealthier had a motorcycle on strict monthly credit plans while  motorcars of any description were ether also on lifetime credit plan or a perk of an elite Government title.

The nearest  highway was relatively  quiet in  daytime and almost  vacant  at night.

Children played in the streets in the evenings and weekends.

As a foreigner I was both a fascination and a threat due to natural ignorance and suspicion of cultural difference.

With a little persistence in maintaining a neutral attitude and physically pitching in to some community projects it was not difficult to avoid any  hope I might be an easy tap  for cash, including those who would become extended family .

Twenty plus years on I am content to say that I am generally considered just another community member who is  foreign and referred to or addressed as is any other person known  to the community.

Over the years I have witnessed the problems of other farang who have come and gone or if have stayed has become reclusive and bitter and mutually reviled.

I  can understand those who have come and gone while expressing an inability to cope with the Thai rural  life

but I have no liking for those that try to claim their own failure is due to  inferior Thai culture.

But I have to  acknowledge the  fact that Thai original culture via the internet has been  destroyed the rural young generation no less than the urban.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The channel is 200% about making money. It's beyond ego-driven. It lacks warmth in all forms and factors. Pretty sad actually. The clickbait titles are pathetic.

Really, we have no idea how this fellow really lives. It's all a facade.

Edited by Bohemianfish

I've no need to wonder as I have been in rural Thailand for 15 years.

The bamboo man is less than 1 per cent of farang life in rural Thailand and is therefore not representative, certainly regarding my associates, who live in normal housing with maybe a dog thrown in.

We've come here to retire not work farms, shops etc that's for the Thai members of the family.

On 6/5/2024 at 11:27 AM, BusNo8 said:

Hat's off to both of them - and they are true content creators not just walking about with a camera on a stick in a panic over some minor drama.

My 2 long-term Thai girlfriends both grew up on rural farms. The only time they wanted to see a chicken again is after it's been Kentucky-fried.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Utalk2mutt said:

Oh how right you are. Nearest big town to me is Nong Bua Lamphu (35km) then there’s Udon Thani (90km) and Khon Kaen (104 km). I am the only Farang in the village. Everyone knows me and I confess to not knowing many of them. I walk around the village ( exercise) and they all stop to chat (I speak Thai) (which is nice but adds an extra hour to my walk). They love to gossip I go for coffee every day, coffee shop is about 5km away someone from the village sees me and “reports back” to the missis who might I add is at work. They have actually called her to tell her where I am. The village jungle drums are constantly at work. One of the elder monks at the temple (300m from my home) took sick, was constipated, in pain and struggling to go “Poo Poo”. I have a great remedy for this problem “Psyllium husk” so I gave him 6 capsules to help free his bowels and stomach. Not long after the world fell out of his ass now the whole village knows I helped the monk and have commented on how the Farang is “jai dee” and I will definately be up for re-incarnation when my time comes. I just hope I have done enough not to come back as a buffalo.

Walking the earth, having adventures and healing peoples suffering with the power of dietary fiber.

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Walking the earth, having adventures and healing peoples suffering with the power of dietary fiber.

It’s the life of a buffalo for me right😀

• Agree 1