Embattled Move Forward Party Given another Lifeline by Constitutional Court

Screenshot-2024-05-15-154644.png

In an unprecedented turn of events, the Constitutional Court has bestowed a respite on the beleaguered Move Forward party. Today, they granted a third and final 15-day extension, lasting until 2nd June, for the party to prepare its defence against the Election Commission's call for the court to dissolve it.

The Move Forward Party, already found guilty by the court of attempting to overthrow the constitutional monarchy, will utilise the period to challenge the Electoral Commission's recommendation. The party is being accused of seeking to undermine the monarchy through its campaign promise to revise the infamous Section 112 of the Criminal Code, otherwise known as the lèse majesté law.

It's worth noting that the court stopped short of ordering an outright dissolution of the party. This noteworthy detail is in line with Section 92 of the Political Parties Act. No request for the party's dissolution was filed by the complainants, notably lawyer Theerayut Suwankesorn and Suvit Thongprasert, erstwhile activist monk Phra Buddha Issara.

This ruling injects a fresh bout of uncertainty into the already tumultuous political arena, leaving citizens and political pundits hooked on the unfolding drama. Whether the Move Forward Party can seize this lifeline to secure its political future, or if it proves to be another step towards its inevitable dissolution, remains, for the moment, a tantalising cliffhanger.

Photo courtesy of Thai PBS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

It would be better for the old school to get MF disbanded closer to the next election so they have little time to organize a new party from the wreckage.

That will be when the old school appeal for dissolution.

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I think the Old Guard want this all delayed until after the Senate elections. Another extension and then maybe another, and then the trial itself and decision will take months. They probably fear that disbanding MFP now will create a blowback regarding the Senate elections, more than they are already going to get.  Once the Senate is elected and in place might also be a good time (for them) to dissolve Parliament and call a new election before the MFP can regroup under a new name (and maybe a new Leader). 

Senate selection not election. I don't think the old guard are too bothered with this as the old guard will more than likely fill the majority of seats. As for a new election my above post maybe a crystal ball into the future. There may not be another election for quite some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting room for speculation in this extension. Perhaps  "someone" is  waiting  for recognition of an opportunity ?

"When possible at least keep your enemy beside you because if they are walking behind you then attack may come unseen".

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Another extension and then maybe another, and then the trial itself and decision will take months.

... " Today, they granted a third and final 15-day extension " ...

I hope they bring in their defence the practice in other countries that have abolished lese-majeste laws which used to apply to heads of state like monarchs and presidents.

It is still possible to have a functioning  monarchy without these laws, as offences like treason will still be applicable in serious threats.

Only a few countries like Thailand, Cambodia, and some Middle Eastern countries still have them in force.

I quote the example of the United Kingdom where the late Queen was revered by the majority of the population and there has been an outpouring of support for the current King and his daughter in law after their recent medical diagnoses.

Even former colonies like Australia and New Zealand refuse to become republics, seeing the advantage of an independent barrier to their politicians’ excesses.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I don't think the old guard are too bothered with this as the old guard will more than likely fill the majority of seats.

Recall that of the 250 Senate seats, only 200 will be subjected to deselection. The remaining fifty are likely reserved for old guard, ie., NCPO junta leadership and consultants. That's 20% already against any new opposition.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Recall that of the 250 Senate seats, only 200 will be subjected to deselection. The remaining fifty are likely reserved for old guard, ie., NCPO junta leadership and consultants. That's 20% already against any new opposition.

Agree. The 50 that remain will be Pratut's Junta appointments. Then the selection critera of being over 40 disqualifies many of those on the progressive side. Then you have occupations which is skewed to professionals only and then you have the corruption in that wealth can buy your selection. So, yes, the selected not elected Senate will will be full of the old guard with many of the dinasaurs currently in the Senate remaining. This whole selection not election is a complete farce open to corruption and manipulation and is in no way representative of a democtratic process. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

I hope they bring in their defence the practice in other countries that have abolished lese-majeste laws which used to apply to heads of state like monarchs and presidents.

It is still possible to have a functioning  monarchy without these laws, as offences like treason will still be applicable in serious threats.

Only a few countries like Thailand, Cambodia, and some Middle Eastern countries still have them in force.

I quote the example of the United Kingdom where the late Queen was revered by the majority of the population and there has been an outpouring of support for the current King and his daughter in law after their recent medical diagnoses.

Even former colonies like Australia and New Zealand refuse to become republics, seeing the advantage of an independent barrier to their politicians’ excesses.

Plenty of republicans in Aus mate I'll tell you that. Charles ain't my King but I could call him a dithering idiot (not the case IMO) publically without fear of prosecution. The same cannot be said here.  

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

seeing the advantage of an independent barrier to their politicians’ excesses.

In a constitutional monarchy like the UK, that "independent barrier" is granted to the monarch by the power of the sovereign citizens of the State granted through their writ of the constitution. Think Magna Carta that placed limits of royal authority by establishing law as a power in itself.

As such the sovereign citizens of the State have the power to alter the constitution. It is only in an absolute monarchy that the monarch has unchallenged, unlimited independence regardless of any political "excesses."

Even Queen Elizabeth found that her constitutional power to remove a Prime Minister was not without potential "political blow back" from elected ministers in the House of Commons, especially when the majority of the House nominated the PM through majority vote. Many citations to this event, here's one with many responses.

https://www.quora.com/Can-the-Queen-remove-a-prime-minister-from-office

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

attempting to overthrow the constitutional monarchy

Really? Sounds as if it was a staged accusation.

But I'm not much into Thai politics.

Justice will go it's way.🙏

Wanting to reform a law that can get you 15 years for an opinion is clearly a threat to national peace and security.  How dare they get more votes than any other party by promising to do it, who do they think they are? 😃 

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Senate selection not election. I don't think the old guard are too bothered with this as the old guard will more than likely fill the majority of seats. As for a new election my above post maybe a crystal ball into the future. There may not be another election for quite some time.

True - and I am sure the PM will want the job for many years and not risk it in an election.  But politics is not a game that can be planned out ahead with any certainty.

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

... " Today, they granted a third and final 15-day extension " ...

Yes - but who knows what they might decide if the popwers that be dont want this thing hanging around during the senate elections/selections.  

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

True - and I am sure the PM will want the job for many years and not risk it in an election.  But politics is not a game that can be planned out ahead with any certainty.

Actually I'm suggesting, just as as a poosibility, that their might not be an election for quite some time because PTP will get the boot with another coup. 

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Absolutely true - and a great decision to not allow the Politicians free reign under a Westmister like Parliamentary system. Unlike in USA, and other countries, where the Head of State is separately elected and has certain Powers and Authority, the Westminster system does not have elections for the 'Head of State'. 

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Actually I'm suggesting, just as as a poosibility, that their might not be an election for quite some time because PTP will get the boot with another coup. 

Not impossible - but highly unlikely given their 10 year coup and attempt at being a political Party. 

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

More than a few countries still have lese majeste laws, even those where the President is head of state. 

Belgium

France

Germany

Iceland

Greece

The Netherlands

Poland

Portugal

Slovenia 

Spain

Sweden

If you mean, which can put you in prison for over a decade, then Thailand is definitely a hub.

Granted, Pita should have been smart enough to divest this stock, before running for PM. But, we all know the disqualification was a sham, an act of desperation, a power grab, an act of spectacularly, morally bankrupt power mongering men, and a total travesty.

The army is far too powerful here, he knows that, and reform is needed. The sooner the better.

His election was a truly great thing for this nation and showed that the people are both sick of being led by highly ignorant dinosaurs, with no interest in progress, and interested in smart, young folks, who are serious, accomplished, capable of change, and interested in insuring that Thailand has a good future. Pita was exactly what this nation needs, at this point in time. But, he represented progress, and there are a few people here with great amounts of power, who do not want their power and wealth threatened. 

This is a man who interrupted his studies at MIT, during an MBA program at Sloan to rescue his father's rice bran oil business, Agrifood, after this fathers death. He was successful, and is paying down the 100 million baht his father borrowed to start the company. This is a serious man. Very unlike the failures before him. He then went back and finished his MBA, at one of the top business schools on the planet. 

If it hadn't been the shares it would have been something else, they simply wanted him out of the way, he was too clean, too progressive, too forward leaning, too intelligent, and too capable of moving the nation forward away from the morass of corruption and moral rot, so the shares were just an excuse. From what I understand the company was already suspended and he really had no way of getting rid of the shares. This guy's just too smart to have committed a mistake like that. It was all about the status quo, the army maintaining a hand in the pot, and deeply foul and corrupt men in the background pulling strings. 

This non elected administration is about money grubbing lowlifes, trying to use their illegitimate positions, to deny the will of the people, steal an election, move the nation backwards, and deny any kind of change or reform. This is a toxic power grab. These senators deserve a lifetime of pain and suffering. One can only hope the people will be bold enough to inflict that upon them. 

Weak, pathetic, cowardly, self entitled hooligans, who are accustomed to a perch atop the ivory tower, scared to death of being taken down a notch, and being asked to be accountable for their heinous and unforgivable actions. Of course they will resort to whatever dirty tactics they can. That is who and what they are. Filth. They are the deplorables.

• Like 2