How Healthy Is Thai Food?

Angus55

9 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Don’t forget to compare average body weights between Thais and your home country also. You’d don’t want that data point mucking up your preconceived beer belly producing results. God forbid some actual truth and facts should come into your lives

1280px-Obesity_in_Thailand.svg.png

Thai food is quite healthy if one avoids sugar and rice, both contribute to obesity.

It is usually served in smaller quantities, which is another plus.

The Thai addiction to sugar is illustrated by the fact Thailand has a population of 72 million, yet Mitr Phol is the fifth largest producer of sugar world-wide.

Thais use sugar in most dishes to soften the bite of chili. They look nonplussed when I ask them to omit it.

1 minute ago, Angus55 said:

Nowt wrong with milk and sugar free yoghurt . Oats and bananas are also fine.

Sadly you’re mistaken. Who told you that anyway, your doctor? Oats are arguable and bananas aren’t fine for an old fat guy who’s eating too much sugar all day. But they are ok otherwise. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais have been eating rice for hundreds of years, obesity started relatively recently. They've been slim for a long time on rice. Just because you're carb phobic doesn't mean rice is bad

Rice prob isn’t too bad but in the amounts they eat it I’d say it is bad. 

• Sad 1

People really think yogurt and milk are good for them. It amazes me. You should look up the % of lactose intolerant people. If milk is so good for us why can’t most people even digest it? And why would it be good for us our distant ancestors never drank it or had any dairy. Our genes evolved without it so I dont know where people get these hare brained ideas. I’ll admit it tastes good though and it’s easy to listen to and buy into the bs your doctors tell you. 

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Rice debate ... as I've stated before, a lot depends on what, how, when you eat.

Eat your crappy food (carbs/sugar), after your fats & protein...

I linked his Tik Tok in description ... excellent stuff

I'm not allowed to post FB links on the forum as he has a FB also, though I think they are trying to censor him.

Edited by KhunLA

Eat home or at quality restaurants!

Just look at the BMI on thai population the last 20 years, and you see how helthy their food have become.

• Agree 1

On 5/16/2024 at 11:24 PM, Angus55 said:

Seems there was at least 40-50% fat in those dishes...I imagine the vendor didnt use the healthiest of oils either

Exactly. Restaurants use crappy cooking oils to save money and this will degrade your health.

Restaurant meals are cheat meals and should be few and far between.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Life is short, just eat foods you enjoy. You never see people living to 150 and if you don't like salad don't eat it.

Maybe ask farang who have had heart attacks or strokes caused by their poor diet and see whether they're still happy about it

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe ask farang who have had heart attacks or strokes caused by their poor diet and see whether they're still happy about it

Invalide for decades caused by lifestyle

On 5/17/2024 at 4:06 PM, Robert Paulson said:

People really think yogurt and milk are good for them. It amazes me. You should look up the % of lactose intolerant people. If milk is so good for us why can’t most people even digest it? And why would it be good for us our distant ancestors never drank it or had any dairy. Our genes evolved without it so I dont know where people get these hare brained ideas. I’ll admit it tastes good though and it’s easy to listen to and buy into the bs your doctors tell you. 

Cow milk is very good if you want to turn a calf into a cow.

Human children obviously are no calves, and we see in real time what happens if you feed them cow milk: all Asians now are getting taller,  stronger, fatter...

For an impoverished,  undernourished kid in the industrial slums of Europe and North America around 1900 cow milk was a very efficient way to turn the kid into a strong industrial worker. And the calcium in milk helped to offset vitamin-D deficiency in their dark dwellings 

The problem with Thailand,as with a lot of countries now,is the ever increasing use of fast food restaurants,fizzy drinks and idleness caused by an addiction to the smart phone,too much food and not enough exercise is generally the cause of weight gain. 

Dairy fats are a lot better for you than manufactured fats and cows milk is better for you and the environment than the likes of Almond 'milk'.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

THai food like any other food from round the world is fine - the problem lies with those who consume it. You can spot them - they believe in fad diets and have no idea wht obesity is , what causes it and what the dangers are.

This thread is an opportunity for every food crank and conspiracy thoeirist to put forward there nut job ideas.

Edited by kwilco
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I eat rice or noodles 5 times per week. Milk, sugar, bananas, oats ...every day. Pizza, burgers, beer ...at weekends. I eat everything.

25 years of looking this great. My ability for consistency is off the scale.image.jpg.3b3b68c71a8554422d3b5c370e794c2e.jpg

That diet will work well, high carb low fat most days

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That diet will work well, high carb low fat most days

I'm pretty lazy, virtually no cardio exercise (unlike yourself, i believe). 

One little hack i have adopted is swap out 50% of the rice with lots of tomatoes.

Its taken a bit of time to find my calorie neutral point just by looking at food. But the talk of unhealthy thai food is nonsense, as you already know.

12 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I'm pretty lazy, virtually no cardio exercise (unlike yourself, i believe). 

One little hack i have adopted is swap out 50% of the rice with lots of tomatoes.

Its taken a bit of time to find my calorie neutral point just by looking at food. But the talk of unhealthy thai food is nonsense, as you already know.

What's your blood test results like on that diet and no exercise? probably still good but maybe not everything 

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's your blood test results like on that diet and no exercise? probably still good but maybe not everything 

I had a few tests done in UK a few years back. A free over 40's program available through your local GP. No issues but i'm sure only the basics.

I should get a full check, its a good point!

7 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I had a few tests done in UK a few years back. A free over 40's program available through your local GP. No issues but i'm sure only the basics.

I should get a full check, its a good point!

Lifecare lab, 3rd road, package 4 is 700 baht plus hba1c 350 baht, I'd be interested in the results

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How Healthy Is Thai Food?

As healthy as farang food.

It depends on the ingredients and the cook.

Street vendors have to offer their food at competitive prices. If they would use high quality ingredients, then they wouldn't make any money. 

Agree, especially if dining out quite a bit.   As sugar, salt, (salt, soi sauce, fish sauce)  MSG are all flavor enhancers the restaurants go heavy on and why food tastes good.  Along with higher fat dairy, and the inexpensive refined seed oils.

I've adjusted some things, but I still eat my fair share carbs & pastry/ice cream.   Surprised my #s are as good as they are.  Last work up, Feb 2024, and all in the normal range.  Even HbA1c, though on the higher end, but still within normal.  No surprise with my sweet tooth.

Not a rice fan, rare actually, but potatoes & bread makes up for that carb, a bit more nutritious, but high on the glucose charts.

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, especially if dining out quite a bit.   As sugar, salt, (salt, soi sauce, fish sauce) MSG are all flavor enhancers the restaurants go heavy on and why food tastes good.

Some high-quality Thai restaurants have a no MSG policy. They don't have it; it will never be used.

And the food tastes great - even for Thai people.