Thailand aims for 270 million passengers by 2037

george

You can't be serious! Really!

This might work on a computer game like SimCity...

By next year 1'200'000 flights means 2 take-off/landings per minute!

I've heard all this talk about becoming a 'Hub' several times.  Isn't Thailand in the wrong place geographically to be much of a hub at all? Besides, the Arab states and airlines seem to have that slot pretty much tied up and shared out between themselves.

On the subject of reducing the Minimum Connecting Time can I ask others how they feel about that? Do you want a fast changeover or do you appreciate a break?

Personally, I choose indirect flights over direct for various reasons.  I get very uncomfortable if I travel for very long periods and get pain in my lower spine.  As a regular flyer, like many I'm a holder of 'frequent flyer' status and enjoy lounge access.  I enjoy being able to take a break from flying and having a coffee or meal 'on the house'.  I also like to visit the duty free shops. If I wanted a direct flight I'd choose Thai or Eva.

More often than not recently, my connecting flights have been 2 hours or less apart and with the time taken to disembark, go through security (again!!!) and walk to the next gate, which can take ages at some of the newer, massive, Middle Eastern airports, it can be a hell of a rush. Doha and Dubai airports have trains to take you to the next gate - Abu Dhabi doesn't. Two hours might seem a long time on paper but the reality is very different. I treat my flight and the break between flights as part of my holiday but these short connecting times can make it a nightmare.

On several recent flights there wasn't enough time to go to the lounge as the aircraft arrived late. Qatar for example, often have several flights per day from Doha to Bangkok - sometimes within a couple of hours of each other.  If I have a choice of a 2 hour connection or a 4 hour, I'll take the 4 hour every time.

In addition, I am a smoker and although I can go 12 hours without a fag, I don't want to and that's also part of the reason I choose indirect flights.  On one occasion the Qatar ground staff told me there wasn't time for me to go to a smoking room + duty free and tried to rush me through. I told them they could take a running jump and went.  When I arrived at the gate I still had to wait 40 minutes before boarding started!!! I knew I wouldn't be holding anyone up.

On 5/18/2024 at 5:12 PM, george said:

This ambitious plan aims to skyrocket the nation’s air traveller capacity to an astounding 270 million passengers annually by 2037, propelling Thailand into the region’s top five countries for air logistics.

What ???

• Like 1

I am confused as to geographically how Thailand becomes a hub ?

Is it to connect passengers from Europe? If so, the only logistically place it serves as a decent connection is Australia. But what other region? China, perhaps - but it's not a great connection from Thailand. 

But most of all if you want to be a major hub you certainly need a big national carrier that brings passengers into Thailand, then connects onwards. Thai Airways has barely shown that. 

The Middle eastern carriers have the perfect middle ground from Europe to Asia geographically and with Emirates and Qatar have two of the biggest airlines, and with a connection service that is second to none.

Furthermore, Bangkok for example, has two airports - that are quite a distance apart. If you were flying in from Europe and then heading onwards to China, more than likely you would have to go Don Muang airport which once again makes it an iffy choice. 

Do they plan on upgrading Suvarnabhumi ? 

Dubai has recently announced planned to build a massive huge multi billion dollar airport, with multiple runways, and one huge hub. That is some ten years away. Does Thailand have similar plans?

Furthermore, if you did really want to connect in SE Asia, then Singapore with it's top notch airport would be a better fit.  

• Thanks 1

Dream baby dream.

Maybe more airports would help, and what are the chances that Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi could be seasonally under water by 2037?

270-million passengers.webp

To solidify its position as the aviation powerhouse of the Asia Pacific, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) unveiled a comprehensive three-stage strategy yesterday.

This ambitious plan aims to skyrocket the nation’s air traveller capacity to an astounding 270 million passengers annually by 2037, propelling Thailand into the region’s top five countries for air logistics.

The initiative, part of the government’s Ignite Thailand campaign launched in February, is set to transform the country into a hub for tourism, medical treatment, food, aviation, logistics, electric vehicles, digital economy, and finance by 2030.

The initial phase, which is aimed to be completed by next year, focuses on boosting Thailand’s airport capacity to handle 1.2 million flights and 180 million passengers annually. The CAAT aims to reduce the minimum connecting time (MCT) for international flights to no more than 75 minutes.

The final stage, scheduled for 2029 to 2037, will see the capacity soar to 2.1 million flights and 270 million passengers annually by 2037, with the MCT dropping to under 45 minutes.

The CAAT emphasised the importance of collaboration with various aviation and related agencies. These include the Department of Airports, Airports of Thailand Plc, Aeronautical Radio of Thailand, Civil Aviation Training Centre, and Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel, reported The Nation.

The CAAT’s vision is to prepare Thailand’s air infrastructure for future economic growth, strengthen and expand air logistics routes to connect with the global network and promote domestic and international tourism.

In related news, the Thailand Ministry of Transport is considering leveraging artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance airport operations, in line with the government’s ambition to establish the country as a prominent aviation centre in the region.

-- The Thaiger 2024-05-18

They can aim what they want.

Reality will show them their place in Asia and tourism.

The world is in turmoil in these years. Nobody can say how our life (not mine, I'm gone then) will be in 2037. 

So let them plan. 🙏😴😵‍💫🥴

The CAAT aims to reduce the minimum connecting time (MCT) for international flights to no more than 75 minutes.

That makes absolutely no sense at all, but maybe I just don't understand the significance of the MCT being between 0 and 75 minutes.

...is set to transform the country into a hub for tourism, medical treatment, food, aviation, logistics, electric vehicles, digital economy, and finance by 2030.

That's the dream.

The reality, however:

...is set to transform the country into a hub for zero-dollar and seedy sex tourism, dodgy medical treatment, foreign junk food, plane crashes and boat sinkings, Chinese electric vehicles, Russian draft dodgers, a wrecked home-grown cannabis industry, e-shopping halved by the imposition of VAT on small items from overseas, an exodus of foreign long-term expats after the TRD demanded they pay local tax on their already-taxed pensions and savings, and yet more scams by both Thai and foreign criminal gangs by 2030.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pesche said:

You can't be serious! Really!

This might work on a computer game like SimCity...

By next year 1'200'000 flights means 2 take-off/landings per minute!

All of them in 'skyrockets'

4 hours ago, loong said:

That makes absolutely no sense at all, but maybe I just don't understand the significance of the MCT being between 0 and 75 minutes.

I’m guessing but assume this impacts when booking tickets with connecting flights. 
If an airport is on the slower side to process transfers then you will be automatically pushed to a later flight to minimize chance of a missed connection, dragging out your entire journey. If you are looking at a Thai flight with connection in BKK, then you may choose a quicker option elsewhere. 

So, I assume they are looking to make BKK more of a competitive Thai Airways international - wait for it - hub.

For example, I assume Dubai is pretty quick as I get offered flights to UK with 60mins+ transfers.

On 5/20/2024 at 10:30 AM, Grumpy one said:

739,726 passengers a day.

That will be interesting to see  

The taxi mafia will be having a field day

I think that the majority will be in transit and so will not leave the airport.