Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So you didn't see the difference. Only a Russian could not

Yeah, I see the difference in these pictures. The pictures that been selected among others to support certain narrative.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes that deliberate murder of civilians in Bucha was a recorded war crime. 

There are recorded war crimes made by Russian army.

There are recorded war crimes made by Ukrainian army. Somehow you not seeing them. Either you choose only “correct” sources, either you just filtering that you should bring to here.

This is war, the situation where most cruel and nasty things being done. By both sides.

it should not start from beginning.

Edited by VBer
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, tgw said:

you are an individual as disgusting as your posts.

go live in Russia with your buddies.

Judging by his English he already is 

3 hours ago, VBer said:

There are recorded war crimes made by Russian army.

There are recorded war crimes made by Ukrainian army. Somehow you not seeing them. Either you choose only “correct” sources, either you just filtering that you should bring to here.

This is war, the situation where most cruel and nasty things being done. By both sides.

it should not start from beginning.

Very fine people on both sides!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

That may well be the case but it ignores NATO forces which tilts the balance significantly in Ukraine's favour.

When I said: "The countries that are supporting Ukraine do not have the stomach to start sending their kids there to fight.", how is that ignoring it? 

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Therefore the real question is, 'Should the West i.e. NATO stand by idly while Putin attempts to redraw international borders in Europe?"

No, the question should be, is NATO ready to put boots on the ground in Russia. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

When I said: "The countries that are supporting Ukraine do not have the stomach to start sending their kids there to fight.", how is that ignoring it? 

It is ignoring it in the sense that you compared Russia only with Ukraine. You made no mention of the resources which NATO possesses and which might become available to Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

No, the question should be, is NATO ready to put boots on the ground in Russia. 

That is certainly one question - and arguably the most important - but it is by no means the only one.

Others - some of which are gradually being answered - include, 'Can Ukraine deploy NATO weapons inside Russia?'; 'Should/Can NATO increase the supply of armaments to Ukraine?'; 'Should it become more involved in the coordination of Ukraine's planning approach to the war?', etc.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

We already know the answer to that - yes, they can.

Which is why I said that some of the questions are gradually being answered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Denim said:

I think everyone can agree on that but a much fairer solution would be for Putin to stop what he started since even he will have to admit , his two week operation has failed.  This war is continuing now to save Putins face , that is all. But he cannot stop and admit he is wrong.

No point blaming Zelensky or the Ukrainians for defending themselves.  I cannot think of any country that would not defend itself if attacked.

Life isn't fair.

I don't get where he has failed, unless one believes the propaganda that he wanted the entire country. I don't and never did.

The direction of travel in the east is in the wrong direction for Zelensky, Crimea has not fallen. That doesn't look like losing from my perspective.

Zelensky had a window to negotiate before it started, from a much stronger position than he has now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Two years is not the same as his announced two weeks therefore his original plan failed.

Worth remembering also that his original objective was to drive an armoured column into Kiev and forcibly instal a puppet government. At that time he apparently thought he would be welcomed with open arms.

Therein lies one of his problems.  He has silenced all of his domestic opposition  either by imprisonment or mysterious deaths so that like all dictators he is now surrounded by a lot of toadies and yes men who agree with all his utterances and hide any truth from him that they think might threaten their own position and safety.

Putin will increasingly be looking for scapegoats as the war drags on and eventually his close circle will feel threatened enough to move first and remove him ,most likely by assassination.  He will ultimately reap what he has sown.

IMO what you have posted is western propaganda. Familiar to anyone knows about WW1 and the "it'll all be over by Christmas " nonsense.

IMO no one that actually knows anything about wars would seriously put a date or a time limit on any campaign, as plans rarely last beyond the first day. War is not an exact science by any means.

As for the IMO nonsense about installing a puppet government, that might have worked in Stalin or Mao's time, but not so much now. As for the vanishing armoured column, another poster hypothesised that it was a feint designed to divert attention from the actual objective in the East, and I agree with that poster ( I don't remember who it was now ).

I suspect that we will never be on the same page re this conflict so we can agree to disagree.

Putin will increasingly be looking for scapegoats as the war drags on and eventually his close circle will feel threatened enough to move first and remove him ,most likely by assassination.  He will ultimately reap what he has sown.

Le Carre could use that for one of his spy novels.

It's a fact that bad men rarely die deserved deaths, Idi Amin died 2003 ( in the Saudi hospital that I used to work at, but happily not when I was there ), after a long rest as a guest of the Saudis, Genghis Khan likely died of disease, not insurrection, Mao and Stalin died in bed. I suspect Putin will end the same way as Stalin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1