Is a chiropractic adjustment good for you?

I used to see Dr. Don when he was still alive. He was amazing and I heard many good stories about him.

But unfortunately, it seems some chiropractors overestimate what they can to and should do. And sometimes things go wrong.

So, I suggest, make sure to verify what reputation your chiropractor has. 

• Agree 1

It's basically click and hope, i had  7 sessions years ago which did nothing. 

Thai lady was finishing off a foot massage with a head massage, clicked my neck to the right, wow what a difference, so i can see it could work

24 minutes ago, Rachel2023 said:

I am considering trying a chiropractic adjustment in Bangkok.

I have done for several different occations, and my conclusion is, know why you going, and what else you can do to fix your problem. 

Chiropractor did my back worse, and I shouldnt have used one in the first place. Can be a tempory fix, but look for the cause and do something about the cause instead. 

Really depends on the situation, and all they are doing is realigning everything where it should be.  If that would solve you discomfort/problem, then it's good for you.  If not out of alignment, then you won't get much of a positive effect.

I've had excellent results, both in USA, and Bangkok.  Dr Oat is excellent, at Healing Art Center.  He may want you to get X-rays of neck & spine before he'll even touches you.  

After some negative comment above, I like to write about the positive things.

Sometimes we have a vertebra or two in a position where they shouldn't be. Maybe we carried something heavy or moved the body in a way we shouldn't have done or something like that.

I asked Dr. Don about that, see above, and he told me that if we are lucky we sleep for a night or two and the body aligns things back to where they should be, and all is fine. If the body does not align it after a few days, then it's good to see a chiropractor and let him align the vertebra.

Over the years, I did that a couple of times. It was always like this: I go there and I can move i.e. an arm properly. Then, after one visit with Dr. Don, all was fine. I walk out and it doesn't hurt anymore.

A friend had a problem with his arm, he visited Bumrungrad, and they suggested treatment and medications (and I think surgery) for a lot of money. Instead, he visited Dr. Don, and after a few visits he was feeling much better. No medication, no surgery.

So, I know, a good chiropractor can do great things - in some situations.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes we have a vertebra or two in a position where they shouldn't be. Maybe we carried something heavy or moved the body in a way we shouldn't have done or something like that.

I asked Dr. Don about that, see above, and he told me that if we are lucky we sleep for a night or two and the body aligns things back to where they should be, and all is fine. If the body does not align it after a few days, then it's good to see a chiropractor and let him align the vertebra.

Over the years, I did that a couple of times. It was always like this: I go there and I can move i.e. an arm properly. Then, after one visit with Dr. Don, all was fine. I walk out and it doesn't hurt anymore.

A friend had a problem with his arm, he visited Bumrungrad, and they suggested treatment and medications (and I think surgery) for a lot of money. Instead, he visited Dr. Don, and after a few visits he was feeling much better. No medication, no surgery.

often the root to the problem is inflamation, week support muscles, stress, and lifestyle issues, weight with more, so for most, it could be an good idea to do some work to prevent it happens again, and also change diet. 

But I would be happy to have Dr Don contact details if I would need one 😄

1 hour ago, Rachel2023 said:

I am considering trying a chiropractic adjustment in Bangkok.

Personally I think it's scam, yes I've done it many times. What is your problem? There's probably something far more obvious with your body that can be fixed with physical therapy, which isn't a quick fix and depends on you working with your body. Just my experience with my own problems.

It depends completely on:

1. What is wrong with you. There are many conditions where chiropractic manipulation could be dangerous. If your issue is back pain, I would suggest you first see an orthopedic doctor specializing in spine to make sure there are no contraindications before allowing someone to manipulate yours.

2. How good the chiropractor is. Note that chiropracty (like many other things) is not very effectively regulated in Thailand, making this a less than ideal place for it. There are many Westerners here claiming to practice it, some have actual training and some do not. 

Very much caveat emptor.

For what problem are you considering this, and why in Thailand specifically?

• Thanks 1

It's not a "scam", but it can cause harm if done wrong is my understanding and experience.

Or at the very least be ineffective while they charge you. 

I had pain in my upper back and it was fixed in a few sessions (not in thailand).

When dealing with these types of practitioners, maybe go very slowly. Ask them to start with mild adjustments and see if it helps .... and always try to use some level of intuition. If you get bad vibes, maybe cut it off.

If it's lower back, going for daily walks and stretches might be sufficient. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

....  Dr Oat is excellent, at Healing Art CenterHe may want you to get X-rays of neck & spine before he'll even touches you.  

Any good chiropracter will.

Any who do not, should be avoided.

39 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

It's not a "scam", but it can cause harm if done wrong is my understanding and experience.

Some are scams e.g. people who call themselves chiropractors but have not had any formal training in it and are not licensed.

Others of course are genuine. Whether or not their treatment  will benefit you, depends on the nature of your problem and their skill.

But as places go, I would say odds of encountering a fake chiro are greater in Thailand than in most.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Some are scams e.g. people who call themselves chiropractors but have not had any formal training in it and are not licensed.

Others of course are genuine. Whether or not their treatment  will benefit you, depends on the nature of your problem and their skill.

But as places go, I would say odds of encountering a fake chiro are greater in Thailand than in most.

You can do a background check.

I just did a quick search online.

So here is a clinic in Bangkok.

https://www.spinebalanceclinic.net/

At the bottom of the page, they show the credentials of the chiro:

You can try emailing the E.C.U. to verify if he is really licensed. 

French Licensed "Doctor of Chiropractic" from European Chiropractors' Union (E.C.U.) and Thai licensed.

Experienced: 20 years practicing in France, U.K., Germany and Thailand.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

But I would be happy to have Dr Don contact details if I would need one 😄

He died a couple of years ago. As far as I know from an antibiotic allergy.

Here are details about him and his clinic.

https://bioenergyasia.com/index.php/about-us/profile

As far as I know the clinic still exists. But I didn't visit them (or need them) anymore since years.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had a bad back for years went to see a chiropractor for a few weeks and it stopped that was about 20 years ago no more pain 

• Thumbs Up 2

There is no spine adjustment, repositioning or realignment. 

If a chiropractor tells you that your spine is misaligned and needs "spinal adjustment," you should look for another therapist or an orthopedic MD, etc. whose knowledge is related to the latest science. A spine manipulation creates a formation of gas bubbles inside the joint, which can make that audible "click." The same happened when you were cracking your fingers. There is no subluxation or repositioning of the spine during such maneuvers. A serious practitioner should explain this, and not use it as a single treatment, but rather try to find the real cause of the issue. 

Some people feel short-term pain relief, which is probably due to changes in the central nervous system as well as a placebo effect and the expectations of the patient. You should also know the risk of spinal "adjustments," which can end in very serious issues!

For a better understanding, you should read this and the resources.

https://www.uperform.be/en/blog/the-displaced-vertebra-myth-or-reality/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1297319X17300830

• Haha 1