Latest on Thai Citizenship?

Does anyone have the lastest information, assessment of trying to obtain Thai citizenship?

Associated costs?

Estimated time?

Lawyer mandatory?

*Married

*Have made large and genuine contribution to Thai society

*Will obtain basic verbal skills

* Job 10 years over 40k, taxes

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

Will obtain basic verbal skills

i know you need to be totally fluent in thai.  basic verbal skills won't cut it. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

Does anyone have the lastest information, assessment of trying to obtain Thai citizenship?

Associated costs?

Estimated time?

Lawyer mandatory?

*Married

Male or female?

Married female can get Thai citizenship after 1 year + baby or 2 years no baby with a joint income of 15+kbht/month.

• Sad 1

Male. Myself.

How fluent is fluent? Hold a conversation or a certain academic level? Is the test an arbitrary panel or standardized exam ?

*Thanks Jack. I'm just looking to get a gist.

1 hour ago, BusNo8 said:

Associated costs?

Estimated time?

Lawyer mandatory?

*Married

After 10yrs employed here you do not have basic language skills ?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

After 10yrs employed here you do not have basic language skills ?

No. Teaching English in dead central Bangkok. Imagine if I'd lived in Nakon Nowhere I'd be teaching that instead.

*I can go anywhere, do anything. Many foreigners would and have thought I'm fluent but I'm not conversational.

Thai is a language of 75M users. It is not used outside Thailand. There is no financial benefit by learning Thai. Thailand does not give PR let alone citizenship for all intents and purposes.

The real question, even married is why one would bother? This is especially considering the difficult tonal nature of the language.

Lemme guess...you have a pink card as well with no purpose other than ID

What contribution was made by your post? Nothing. Right.

Please spare me further contributions.

Edited by BusNo8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

i know you need to be totally fluent in thai.  basic verbal skills won't cut it. 

You don't need to speak any Thai if you are married to a Thai,

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

Associated costs?

Estimated time?

Lawyer mandatory?

*Married

Cost 5,000 baht. 

Took me 3 years but longer now with a new government, 

No lawyer needed -  total waste of money, 

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/acquring-thai-citizenship/

3 minutes ago, thainet said:

Poster @Ralf001 asked a genuine question about your language skills (or lack of) after 10 years as a teacher.

Then your answer is to lambast him for asking it, then you basically trash the Thai language.

Contributions to your post won't be forthcoming with that attitude.

I know many teachers who don't learn the language after 20 years! bizarre, 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

There is no financial benefit by learning Thai. Thailand does not give PR let alone citizenship for all intents and purposes.

What do you mean?

The language exam requires answering questions and holding conversation in formal Thai (not spoken Thai), reading and writing. A large part of that interview is not about the language but about attitude and personality. With what you've written above, you look down on Thailand and Thais, which is not a good start.

I have PR, but with the (currently unenforced) requirement to give up original citizenship on being granted Thai citizenship, I don't think it's the best time for me to apply for it, even though I qualify. So your above statement puzzles me.

As for benefits of learning Thai - you'd have to earn 200k+ per month and have PhD to compensate for just the language portion.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need to speak any Thai if you are married to a Thai,

Somewhat true. You'd need to have very high scores on all other criteria, which from seeing original post, may be very hard to achieve for the OP. While financial requirements for citizenship are lower than for PR, the other requirements, like language, knowledge of culture and history, singing that anthem... are way higher.

Then again - if OP doesn't mind spending a few k baht to apply to see for himself... I'd say go for it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tomazbodner said:

Somewhat true. You'd need to have very high scores on all other criteria, which from seeing original post, may be very hard to achieve for the OP. While financial requirements for citizenship are lower than for PR, the other requirements, like language, knowledge of culture and history, singing that anthem... are way higher.

Then again - if OP doesn't mind spending a few k baht to apply to see for himself... I'd say go for it.

You don't need to sing anything these days. 

The multiple choice test on culture, worth 10 points, can be basically done by your Thai spouse, or the SB officer can help. It's much easier than many think. 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

This is the points breakdown.. 

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-points-test/

image.png.6c392d606b372cfb14765c5a6c66c1b8.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thainet said:

Poster @Ralf001 asked a genuine question about your language skills (or lack of) after 10 years as a teacher.

While I can't pretend to be able to read Ralf's mind, the question seemed very much like a rhetorical one, with the implied meaning of "That's ridiculous.  You should have been able to learn some Thai in the amount of time you have been here.  There's something amiss if you have not.".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

No. Teaching English in dead central Bangkok. Imagine if I'd lived in Nakon Nowhere I'd be teaching that instead.

*I can go anywhere, do anything. Many foreigners would and have thought I'm fluent but I'm not conversational.

Thai is a language of 75M users. It is not used outside Thailand. There is no financial benefit by learning Thai. Thailand does not give PR let alone citizenship for all intents and purposes.

The real question, even married is why one would bother? This is especially considering the difficult tonal nature of the language.

Lemme guess...you have a pink card as well with no purpose other than ID

What contribution was made by your post? Nothing. Right.

Please spare me further contributions.

Wow !

Yeah.. no pink card for me, I do not see the benefit.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

While I can't pretend to be able to read Ralf's mind, the question seemed very much like a rhetorical one, with the implied meaning of "That's ridiculous.  You should have been able to learn some Thai in the amount of time you have been here.  There's something amiss if you have not.".

Precisely

And to be clear it is a rare moment I bump into another foreigner (including the half dozen workplaces) that another farang speaks better Thai but whatever.

Thx

Edited by BusNo8

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I know many teachers who don't learn the language after 20 years! bizarre, 

Because it's not the requirement of the job? Perhaps when speaking Thai students are (generally) not learning English in that process? Because Thai grammar teachers are a thing? Perhaps speaking Thai in the environment would mean more work, meetings without compensation. Dunno...

Edited by BusNo8

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, thainet said:

Then your answer is to lambast him for asking it, then you basically trash the Thai language.

Contributions to your post won't be forthcoming with that attitude.

It was snarky and condescending.

Edited by BusNo8

I'm chancing myself between 65-80. Anyone know if that might be good enough?

The home ownership thing... I'll never own expensive condo here / low grm here. That's kinda doomed me.

12 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

Associated costs?

Estimated time?

Lawyer mandatory?

*Married

Neeranam's post addresses costs/time/lawyers.

What's your "large and genuine contribution to Thai society"?

Married for how long? Having kids also helps.

Good if you can speak some Thai but not (for the moment) any formal assessment of your language skills.

PS - your later comment "no financial benefit to learning Thai" - if you get Thai nationality, you can be much more easily employed; having some reasonable Thai language ability could help in that respect, so does have potential financial benefit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Celsius said:

Your contribution to Thailand was taking a bus number 8 to teach English in somewhere in Ramkhamheang.

Teaching English in Thailand makes no meaningful contribution? I think that's a little harsh. Teachers (even dirty foreign ones) can have a really positive impact on the lives of Thai children.

1 hour ago, BusNo8 said:

Because it's not the requirement of the job? Perhaps when speaking Thai students are (generally) not learning English in that process? Because Thai grammar teachers are a thing? Perhaps speaking Thai in the environment would mean more work, meetings without compensation. Dunno...

I am a teacher but never speak Thai in class, for obvious reasons. 

As a language teacher, I know how to learn a language. 

Actually, the network I developed by speaking Thai helped me immensely in my career, and I wouldn't have been able to get citizenship if I hadn't been able to speak Thai; I needed the full 15 points to get the 50 required. 

If you're going go be living here for life, obviously Thai will help you. It is a challenge but good luck. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Teaching English in Thailand makes no meaningful contribution? I think that's a little harsh. Teachers (even dirty foreign ones) can have a really positive impact on the lives of Thai children.

They respect teachers. 

All that is needed is a receipt that you've given a charity 5,000 baht. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I am a teacher but never speak Thai in class, for obvious reasons. 

As a language teacher, I know how to learn a language. 

Actually, the network I developed by speaking Thai helped me immensely in my career, and I wouldn't have been able to get citizenship if I hadn't been able to speak Thai; I needed the full 15 points to get the 50 required. 

If you're going go be living here for life, obviously Thai will help you. It is a challenge but good luck. 

While you shouldn't need to speak Thai to students, having some understanding of Thai helps when you interact with other member of staff, you will miss out on a lot of information or get delayed information only when someone decide to come and translate for you

This would applies in any work environment too, only a few non-multinationals big Thai companies have meetings and memos in English 

• Agree 1