Why you shouldnt carry cash in Thailand

On 5/22/2024 at 9:14 AM, CharlieH said:
s-9.jpg
Photo by s money offical website

Greetings esteemed travellers. The allure of Thailand’s untouched beaches and vibrant culture is indeed compelling. This was evidenced by the impressive 28.09 million individuals who journeyed to this remarkable destination last year. However, before embarking on your voyage to this picturesque land, it is crucial to take into account certain financial considerations.

Recent modifications in policies have dictated that a sufficient amount of cash must be on hand for foreign tourists, which may pose a potential inconvenience. Many may question the need for physical currency in an era dominated by mobile payments and digital transactions. Nonetheless, having tangible monetary resources can prove beneficial while partaking in market commerce within Thailand.

However, do not let this deter you from actualizing your travel aspirations! There are efficient strategies available to circumnavigate these regulations without infringing upon any legal boundaries. We invite you to join us as we delve into the intricacies of managing cash flow within Thailand, ensuring nothing hinders your quintessential adventure.

Why you should consider not carrying cash in Thailand

While Thailand’s tourism popularity continues to escalate—with over 4.6 million Malaysian visitors last year—it’s crucial now, more than ever, to understand the unique travel requirements of the country. Weighing your options regarding carrying cash in Thailand can significantly streamline your visit. This comprehensive guide is designed to help you understand the potential rigours and rewards of carrying cash during your Thai vacation.

Safety concerns

While it’s practically impossible to eliminate the risk factor, carrying a lot of cash could heighten the possibility of becoming a theft target. A browser through Thailand’s social media pages exposes numerous cases of tourists victimised due to carrying large sums of money. Therefore, it’d be prudent to limit the amount of cash you carry. Use diverse methods of payment, for instance, mobile wallets, credit, or debit cards, such as TrueMoney Wallet. Highlighting its functionality, TrueMoney Wallet provides not only a digital form of your card but also features like topping up mobile credit, paying for purchases, and bill scanning.

Convenience factors

Don't carry cash in Thailand | News by Thaiger Photo by Iol

Although cash is still widely used in Thailand, a growth in digital payment methods is evident. With the influx of tourists from tech-savvy nations, cashless payment systems are being readily adopted, offering various advantages. Firstly, the convenience of not having to worry about customs declarations associated with carrying cash sums above THB 15,000 alleviates the stress associated with travel preparation. Furthermore, avoiding unnecessary money exchanges helps keep your travel costs down, a significant factor given the exchange rates’ volatile nature.

Subsequently, several hangouts, shops, and hospitality facilities in Thailand offer payment options like Mobile Pay or Credit Card; hence it’s becoming less necessary to carry excessive cash around.

Remember, optimizing your payment mode helps you navigate your visit to Thailand smoothly. Ensure you’re informed and make smart decisions.

Alternatives to carrying cash

As Thailand modernises its financial systems, you might find carrying cash less necessary. Alternative means of payment offer convenience, and security, and can significantly reduce the cost of transaction fees. It’s worth considering the following cash alternatives to enhance your financial freedom during your Thai adventure.

Mobile payment options

Don't carry cash in Thailand | News by Thaiger Photo by Pixabay

Fintech startups in Thailand are becoming a popular destination for cross-border remittances and local transactions. An apt example is the TrueMoney Wallet, a service launched by TrueMoney, which facilitates easy money transfers from Myanmar and Cambodia to Thailand. This is particularly useful for Thailand’s 3 million migrant workers – many of whom are unbanked – to conveniently transfer cash to their families, bypassing the need for a traditional banking transaction. With features such as bill payments, money sending and receiving, and online shopping, mobile wallets like TrueMoney can minimise the need to carry cash in Thailand.

Opt for these mobile payment options, enabling you to cut out the traditional banking system entirely and transition seamlessly into a cash-free environment.

Hey there, pal! Guess what? More and more people in Thailand are catching onto the credit and debit card trend. With ATMs sprouting like mushrooms everywhere, getting your hands on some cash has never been easier. But hold up a sec – you should know that some Thai ATMs might nick you an extra fee for transactions with international cards. So, keep this in mind when you’re sorting out your budget.

It’s probably a smart move to keep your foreign bank card handy as a ‘just-in-case’ backup. And hey, while you’re at it, why not give your bank a shout to see if they tack on any additional fees when using your card in Thailand?

Traveller’s cheques

Traveller’s cheques form another cash alternative. Albeit less popular than they once were, these cheques still provide a reliable means of securing your money while abroad. If lost or stolen, they can be replaced by the issuing company. Remember, however, to declare any negotiable monetary instruments at customs if they exceed $20,000 or its equivalent in your home currency.

Before embarking on your journey, equip yourself with an array of cash alternatives to best navigate Thailand’s evolving financial landscape, ensuring you fully enjoy your experience without the worry of losing cash.

How to manage money safely in Thailand

While roaming the scenic landscapes of Thailand, managing your money safely is a requisite task. Ascend your financial freedom beyond carrying cash, exploring secure and convenient alternatives. Let’s delve deeper into noteworthy considerations when using ATMs and when exchanging currency.

Using ATMs wisely

In Thailand, ATM usage, although convenient, imposes added costs. Designated as ATMs (automated telling machines), these cash points add a fee, mainly ranging from 220 Baht up to 250 Baht to the transaction, independent of your home bank’s fees. Therefore, foresee this expense whilst planning ATM transactions during your Thai escapade. Lesser ATM visits equate to lesser fees, allowing you to navigate Thailand’s terrains economically.

However, if you’re in Chiang Mai, options such as the SuperRich money exchange, strategically situated opposite the UN Irish Pub and on Loi Kroh Road, notoriously offer generous cash exchange rates compared to banks. The SK Exchange, located near the Iron Bridge and Night Bazaar area, lends competitive rates as well. Therefore, calculate your requirements wisely, comparing the ATM transaction cost against such lucrative exchange rates.

Benefits of a cashless approach in Thailand

Thailand’s evolving financial ecosystem simplifies transactions while bolstering security for residents and travellers alike. Let’s delve into the specifics.

Ease of transactions

Securing your Thai adventure without the burden of too much cash involves opting for mobile payment methods or credit/debit cards. With digital payments seeing a surge in Thailand, your smartphone serves as your wallet, making it exceedingly simple to navigate Thai commerce. For example, RabbitLINE Pay facilitates purchases from game items to insurance – all in a few taps on your phone. Digitising transactions liberates you from counting coins and notes, equipping you with a fluent, efficient way to handle money in Thailand.

Security advantages

Don't carry cash in Thailand | News by Thaiger Photo by corporatefinanceinstitute offIcal website

Accessing your funds digitally in Thailand also offers an added layer of security that carrying cash often lacks. When your spendings shift from physical to digital, incidents like theft or loss of money become a non-factor, as your funds remain secure in your bank or digital wallet. For instance, facilities in places like Donmuang Airport and places in Bangkok provide 24-hour service for secure digital transactions. Furthermore, if your phone or card gets lost or stolen, you can quickly immobilise your mobile wallet or card with a simple call to the service provider, safeguarding your monetary assets irrespective of your location within Thailand. That’s something carrying cash can’t guarantee.

With the convenience and security advantages on offer, opting for a cashless approach in Thailand blends technological advancement with everyday living, enhancing your Thai experience.

As you prepare to embark on your journey to Thailand, it is essential not to overlook the inclusion of a digital wallet. The transformation within Thailand’s financial landscape has highlighted the shift towards a cashless society. Utilising digital payments provides an increased level of convenience and security, negating the necessity for carrying substantial amounts of physical cash.

Opt for services such as RabbitLINE Pay for your transactions which guarantees smoothness in operation and assures safety. Notably, establishments in prime locations such as Donmuang Airport and Bangkok are equipped with the necessary support systems to facilitate your transition into this cashless mode of transaction around the clock.

Therefore, adapt to this innovation by transitioning towards cashless transactions during your stay in Thailand, ensuring an unforgettable experience while maintaining the utmost financial safety.

Going cashless can help you during your stay in Thailand but it will not save you from spending it wrong. There are 10 signs you’re spending money wrong In a world where the allure of instant gratification often overshadows the virtue of financial prudence, it’s alarmingly easy to fall into the trap of mismanaging one’s finances. The subtle art of spending money wisely is lost on many, leading to a cycle of financial strain that seems inescapable. Recognising the signs of poor spending habits is the first step towards cultivating a healthier relationship with your finances.

Original article

Any other tips n tricks you know? please share them with the community below........

No, I pay all my daily consumption in Cash:post-4641-1156694572:

56 minutes ago, digbeth said:

if you went to a restaurant, start ordering and they served you and you discover later that they don't accept cash, that's not legal as now you have a debt to them, 

Yes and to pay off that debt the restaurant should take legal tender..

or perhaps a week of washing the dishes ?

If you use a Thai credit or debit card or attach it to a smart app or whatever in Thailand its only a matter of time before something goes wrong hacked/cloned whatever

The real danger is that if that card is from a Thai bank and its skimmed when you walk into that bank to say my money has gone you watch the reactions and deflection from the staff

"Did you have anyone stay with you" "Did you have the card with you at all times".......at which point you know only too well the money gone for good

Use a foreign card no problem because if that one gets skimmed it'll be sorted as mine was albeit not the point

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Visualizing Global Losses from Financial Scams (visualcapitalist.com)

Worldwide losses to digital fraud are almost half a trillion dollars, approximately the GDP of Singapore!

Another factor is the fact that the fees for using the digital currency platforms are hidden -

1. interchange
  2. assessment
  3. e-wallet
  4. payment processing

These generally come out as a cost of business to the merchant who will then increase prices so the customer pays.

The Marsh McLennan Cyber Crime Handbook 2021 states that the Cybercrime landscape, of which Digital Fraud and Online Payment Fraud form part of the overall picture, also covers losses to the economy and corporations through hacking, data breaches and other forms of attack to create chaos and disrupt government and business operations.  The World Economic Forum’s 2019 Cybercrime puts economic losses from cybercrime in 2020 at 3 trillion USD and projected this to double to 6 trillion USD in 2021.  Of great concern is the fact that in many sectors the speed of digitalisation far outpaces the building of cyber defence capabilities and adaptation of overall risk management strategies.

Good points... In the interests of balance - how much counterfeit cash is in circulation ?

The United States Secret Service estimates that between $70 million and $200 million in counterfeit bills are in circulation worldwide at any given time....   and what of other currencies ?

Not as much as Digital fraud - but a lot of the higher numbers of digital fraud are targeted attacks on corporations - for the every day person, i.e. us.. we are more likely to encounter countrified currency than digital fraud.

the convenience of not having to worry about customs declarations associated with carrying cash sums above THB 15,000

There is NO requirement to declare 15,000 THB - 

TrueMoney, which facilitates easy money transfers from Myanmar and Cambodia to Thailand

Yes, this is certainly important information for an article aimed at tourists...?

you should know that some Thai ATMs might nick you an extra fee for transactions with international cards

ALL ATMs charge a fee for using foreign cards, not just some.

ATMs...add a fee, mainly ranging from 220 Baht up to 250 Baht to the transaction

I have never seen a 250 baht fee at any ATM here. 220 is nearly universal, though Aeon and Citibank used to charge slightly less. 

facilities in places like Donmuang Airport and places in Bangkok provide 24-hour service for secure digital transactions

What does this even mean...?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

ALL ATMs charge a fee for using foreign cards, not just some.

Until last year, Citibank was the exception. For many years, I used my Australian Citibank card to withdraw cash at Citibank’s ATM at Asoke, and there was definitely no ATM fee, also with a very fair exchange rate. Sadly, Citibank has now sold  its operations in both Thailand and Australia to local banks.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 10:29 AM, connda said:

But but but but....mobile payment is soooooo convenient! 

With respect, NO, especially when your mobile (smart) phone is stolen, damaged, mislaid or the battery is "dead"!

Personally I use cash which I get from my bank's ATM using my debit card. I do use this card when making certain bulk purchases at my local supermarket or booking tickets with Air Asia. I still use my trusty 3G mobile for calls and text messages - ideal FOR ME! You can stuff your QR codes. At home I have a personal computer workstation for access to the internet.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good points... In the interests of balance - how much counterfeit cash is in circulation ?

The United States Secret Service estimates that between $70 million and $200 million in counterfeit bills are in circulation worldwide at any given time....   and what of other currencies ?

Not as much as Digital fraud - but a lot of the higher numbers of digital fraud are targeted attacks on corporations - for the every day person, i.e. us.. we are more likely to encounter countrified currency than digital fraud.

Very difficult to give a definitive answer as we do not always get full disclosure of how much has been confiscated; can lead to lack of confidence in the currency.  HK had a problem with very good 1000 HKD bills that were counterfeit, to the extent that ATM's only dispensed 500 HKD bills as the largest value note for quite a while.

The average person encounters digital fraud more often than you would think with various frauds being attempted daily; simply ask a local how many times they have received 'dodgy' phone calls from police, their bank or claimed acquaintances..

The planning, execution and laundering of stolen cash, bullion, jewels etc requires some skilled and determined people.  The planning and execution of digital fraud does not need anywhere near as much professional input to steal a lot more.  Several countries, the usual suspects of Russia, China, Iran and North Korea use the digital attacks to undermine competitor economies and finance other 'activities'.

Targeted attacks on corporations may very well be the norm, but their losses are passed on to the consumer.

Cash is free, not much hustle in what you do with it.

Electronic is a system of collecting data. They know what you paid for and where and maybe lots of other things, as data.

The data is sold and or shared, They know what you are doing with it. They can compare with your income tax, noticing if you are telling the truth and an AI decides fictive, you have to pay more tax or whatever.

Cash is gone, so they can raise prices on services to use electronic paying. You are forced then.

AI's controlling you all the time. That is the setup with electronic payments.

You buy some ammonium nitrate? Guess you will have police force instantly coming to check you.

Though that stuf is also fertilizer.

Maybe one day, the AI is blocking you to buy beer, as it thinks it is not healthy for you.

It sees you are drinking too much. Or you eat tot much red meat or whatever.

The beginning of electronic payments looks very nice and should be "easy", but in the long run, it is all about controlling people by AI's.

"My country" , banks are randomly checking payments. They MUST show they are checking on payments , otherwise they get fined big time. If you are the lucky one to be checked on a payment, you ll get an email on which you MUST explain, why you bought it and for what. A whole package to answer. Not my personal experience yet, but others have.

If you dont comply with the email, you WILL loose your account. You will be on a blacklist and you are out of society.

Long live electronic paying, the other side of "easy payment".

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

If you dont comply with the email, you WILL loose your account. You will be on a blacklist and you are out of society.

Do you still use IOU's to buy your tinfoil?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Unfortunately, that's the mindset of those who never had much money. 

You are right. I don't have much cash money, but banks just love to give me credit, and with 100+ credit cards, I've got close to a million dollars in available credit. Why do I need money? I live on other people's money while I keep my 3 million dollars in my 401K, IRA, and Roth.You're right, I don't walk around with cash. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Very difficult to give a definitive answer as we do not always get full disclosure of how much has been confiscated; can lead to lack of confidence in the currency.  HK had a problem with very good 1000 HKD bills that were counterfeit, to the extent that ATM's only dispensed 500 HKD bills as the largest value note for quite a while.

The average person encounters digital fraud more often than you would think with various frauds being attempted daily; simply ask a local how many times they have received 'dodgy' phone calls from police, their bank or claimed acquaintances..

Yep thats true, so many attempted scam phone calls, so many pishing e-mails etc.

Then there is the credit card - my card (both Thailand and UK) have been used fraudulently about 10x in total...

But, the flip side of that is the incovenience of not being able to use them would be greater and I personally never lost anything.

I've never encountered fraud using my online Banking or Paying for an item via Apple Pay or PromptPay, bank transfer etc.

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

The planning, execution and laundering of stolen cash, bullion, jewels etc requires some skilled and determined people.  The planning and execution of digital fraud does not need anywhere near as much professional input to steal a lot more.  Several countries, the usual suspects of Russia, China, Iran and North Korea use the digital attacks to undermine competitor economies and finance other 'activities'.

Targeted attacks on corporations may very well be the norm, but their losses are passed on to the consumer.

I'd argue to takes skill not to leave a foot-print - nether scams, cash or digital..  are easy to carry out by the average person...  it takes someone with a specific skill set that most don't have.

37 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

You are right. I don't have much cash money, but banks just love to give me credit, and with 100+ credit cards, I've got close to a million dollars in available credit. Why do I need money? I live on other people's money while I keep my 3 million dollars in my 401K, IRA, and Roth.You're right, I don't walk around with cash. 

You're awesome.

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:37 AM, Ohyesuare said:

Many banks don't offer Traveller’s cheques anymore and not sure if exchange places even accept them anymore either. It's a pretty antiquated form of bringing travel funds, odd that it's being recommended in the article.

True, I use to keep traveler's cheques here as an emergence stand by, I thought with now cashless all over the palace I thought I would cash them in on my last trip to the UK.

My bank Lloyds would not take them, and it was them that issued them, had to go to a Buro exchange and change then back to cash, at a commission charge, of course,

As I see it traveler's cheques are now RIP.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:33 AM, 2long said:

A long (possibly AI-written) article that I read less than 10% of.

Therefore I didn't see any paragraphs that mentioned 'looking after the local businesses, such as Ma & Pa shops, who mostly only take cash. I'm not a conspiracy theorist who worries about total control, however some transactions are better dealt without the tax man seeing. But my main point is, let's look after local family-run businesses as much as we can!

Agree. I've noticed that more and more market traders are now offering QR code payment. It's spreading fast. As I pointed out to one that creates a digital trail which the tax man could access,  cash does not. 

As others have remarked it's also tedious waiting while people fiddle with their phones to make a digital payment. 

Anyone know what's going on payment wise when the purchaser has to present their ID card and the cashier takes a photo of the person and their ID? Seen that quite a few times locally. That can also take a while.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I struggle to remember having read any article that is more idiotic than this one. Anywhere. On any subject.

Isn't it just common sense to have a good mix of payment options at one's disposal, including cash? Especially when traveling far away from home. 

indeed...

46 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I struggle to remember having read any article that is more idiotic than this one. Anywhere. On any subject.

Isn't it just common sense to have a good mix of payment options at one's disposal, including cash? Especially when traveling far away from home. 

100% agree... 

I'm mostly cashless now... With nearly all my payments made from my phone... 

This year I have been in:

UK - 100% Cashless 

France - 100% Cashless 

Switzerland - 100% Cashless

Dubai - 100% Cashless 

Doha - 90 % Cashless - paid cash for a couple of taxi's

Japan - 70% Cashless - paid in cash where they wouldn't accept applepay or cards.

Thailand - 95+% Cashless (PromptPay, TrueMoney, Bolt / Grab + Cash when more convenient).

I'm now overseas again...  and have numerous options at my disposal.

US$1000 in cash (just erergency money) + Some local currency.

Having all options available makes perfect sense - the idea of someone saying I'll never use cash, I only want to use digital, just seems stupid to me...  As does the idea of someone saying I'll never digital, I only want to use cash..... 

... it seems a lot of reasoning is based purely on emotion and no logic.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Agree. I've noticed that more and more market traders are now offering QR code payment. It's spreading fast. As I pointed out to one that creates a digital trail which the tax man could access,  cash does not. 

As others have remarked it's also tedious waiting while people fiddle with their phones to make a digital payment. 

Thats six to one half a doesn't to the other....    Some people are slow paying with cash, it takes them an age to get their purse/ wallet out and dig around for the cash, then it sometimes takes an age for a cashier to count out check and triple check the change before handing it over...  

But... Some people are also luddites and just can't use their phone apps, and are thus also slow... 

Personally, I find paying QR Code much quicker than cash....  I find paying by something such as apple pay, even quicker. 

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Anyone know what's going on payment wise when the purchaser has to present their ID card and the cashier takes a photo of the person and their ID? Seen that quite a few times locally. That can also take a while.

I think this is some of those shops which are are not fully initiate to the cashless system...  I know the cashier sometimes takes a photo of the proof of transaction on the customers phone - that may be down the individuals 'fear' of making a mistake etc...     

As far as handing over an ID card and getting a photo taken - I'm not sure about this, I've never seen it, but agree, it would take a lot longer - is that related to cash-payment, or simply a different process for something else ? (even if paying by cash).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, NO, especially when your mobile (smart) phone is stolen, damaged, mislaid or the battery is "dead"!

Personally I use cash which I get from my bank's ATM using my debit card. I do use this card when making certain bulk purchases at my local supermarket or booking tickets with Air Asia. I still use my trusty 3G mobile for calls and text messages - ideal FOR ME! You can stuff your QR codes. At home I have a personal computer workstation for access to the internet.

With respect, NO, especially when your wallet gets stolen, lost or mislaid...   This is exactly the same as the 'getting the phone stolen' argument and hence is basically flawed as a differentiator... 

The same could be said of your card... you can lose that, or it can stop working, become demagnetised, the chip part fails to read or become damaged etc..  so again, any comparison with a phone, fails as a differentiator... 

You prefer an ATM card and Debit Card etc.. thats fine, each to their own, thats a simple preference, an emotional decision... but when trying to justify that choice to avoid digital payments via phone the logic becomes somewhat 'wishy-washy' and ultimately flawed. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

was under the impression that after, say, 10 attempts, the phone would be irreversibly locked, and could only be used again after a total reset that would erase all data on the phone. Serious question, as if I’m wrong, I’ll be seeing if I can change the 8 digit numeric codes I have on my phones to something more secure.

You are correct but the point is most telephones are stolen when the owner is using it so it is already open and a relatively easy thing to change the amount of time the phone remains open giving the thief more than enough time to put software on the phone that will open every app installed on it including banking.

Itunes will give the owner any protection because the phone is already open.

The thing to do is 

set the time the phone will automatically shut down when you stop using it to the bear minimum, we are talking as few seconds as possible

Do not use it openly in a public area, but if you have to make sure it cannot be snatched from your hand.

Be very aware of your surroundings at all times

Do not place it on a table or other surface and remove your hand from contact with it.

crooks are very clever so give yourself at least half a chance to protect what is important to you

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:35 PM, EVENKEEL said:

feel the need to push a cashless agenda is an attempt to increase spending. If you lay down cash for your purchase you can regulate your spending better. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly. When you pay cash, you are very alert not to spend too much. There is no impulse buying, and one would buy the absolute necessity and anything that person is going to use immediately. With credit cards, a person needs to be very disciplined. 

• Agree 1

Here is a hilarious thing. A Chinese student in the USA spent close to 120K USD using his various cards and then went back to China. He then posted on social media, thanking Chase, Bank of America, American Express, and a few other banks for financing his stay in the US, and then cursed America for its imperialist agenda. 

• Haha 1