Anyone reccomend a decent / legit antivurus program?

Been through 2 anti virus companies last few years and no viruses...but get so tired of being bombarded with threatening messages f how vulnerable you are and the constant up sell / warning messages for add on's that aren't included in their already expensive program. In some ways the prevention is worse than the disease. Also find it a little hard to trust my personal information to a company that behaves so unethically.

According to this companies own warnings of how inadequate my basic $100 per year service is, telling me I need their other 15 add ons, I was wondering if what they provide is any better than the basic virus protection that comes with my PC / Windows

I use Trend Micro, after leaving Norton for the same reasons you mention.  I find TM pretty good.  East install.  Little to no effect on speed.  Customizable with some settings.  Choice of product.  Reasonable price. 

Never had a virus, but then I use Linux. For internet browsing, which is where any virus is going to come from unless you download it, I use NoScript in Firefox to manage which site javascripts are allowed to run, for instance the ad. scripts on this site.....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I tried a lot of them in the past, and also got a lot of messages. #years ago, I started using IOBit Malware Fighter, which includes Anti ransom engine and Bitdefender engine. Not a virus or malware has touched me since then. They also give great discounts and have setups for 3 units.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Have used only windows security system (windows defender) for the last 10 years, never had a problem.

Me too. It works with most browsers (I haven't tried them all). 

It works well on Chrome and runs in the background.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Have used only windows security system (windows defender) for the last 10 years, never had a problem.

that makes 2 of us

• Thumbs Up 1

Uninstall all that third-party antivir you currently have. You'll probably find your computer runs faster.

Windows built-in security is enough nowadays. That said, you might get the free Malwarebytes (ignore exhortations to upgrade) and do a manually-initiated scan once a week or so. It's more sensitive about PUPs (Potentially Unwanted programs)., i.e., spyware. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I concur that Microsoft Defender is the way to go. It's free, they don't nag you about upgrading to some premium addition, all of the features are unlocked, it updates automatically with Windows Update and its antivirus properties are as good as any of the paid programs.  I previously used Avast (until it started collecting and selling user data) and Kaspersky and Microsoft Defender is as good or better than either one.

53 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

that makes 2 of us

• Like 1

A coupe of years ago I snagged 5 licensees free, for F-Secure  been working very well on my mini pc's

Off Shoppe I bought 3 license's for ESET Antivirus  for 200 Baht  one year ,which have been working

very well , on my other 3 mini pc's , I have never had any kind of virus ,since my daughter brought a 

thumb drive she had used on school PC , she's now 30 ,just don't click on anything willy nilly ,and

scan anything you download before opening it.

regards worgeordie

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Used AVG free for 15 years

Yes well they're not free anymore lol...company I am using now, no names....original plan $59 US renewal they try it on for double that to resubscribe....then when you go to unsubscribe from renewal they instantly offer you a 50% discount. Not to mention the constant up sell, threatening warning messages. I often wonder if some of the spam ransom type emails are sent from these companies as a hurry up. Just overall not a good experience

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I concur that Microsoft Defender is the way to go. It's free, they don't nag you about upgrading to some premium addition, all of the features are unlocked, it updates automatically with Windows Update and its antivirus properties are as good as any of the paid programs.  I previously used Avast (until it started collecting and selling user data) and Kaspersky and Microsoft Defender is as good or better than either one.

Is Microsoft Defender the virus program that is built into Windows 11 settings or do you need to download it as a separate entity?

34 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Is Microsoft Defender the virus program that is built into Windows 11 settings or do you need to download it as a separate entity?

Yes, then NO.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

It's built in and updates are automatically downloaded through windows update.

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Bitdefender (free), you don't need much more.

I had a look at bit defender....I don't see any free programs though

I have used the free version of avast for ten years or more and travel all over asia eurpoe and usa and no problems...u do get the occasional message to upsell you but not that much....i never bought the upsell but seems to be very reasonable price if you feel the need...

Windows Defender seems to do a good job for free, I do an occasional scan with Norton Power Eraser, rarely finds anything except PUP's.

For years have used, for a general tune up, Advanced System Care Pro daily, which I have never paid for, plus a few other Pro programs............:ninja:

• Agree 1