Motorcycle Accident in Pattaya Claims Life of a British Man

snoop1130

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has to be the oddest report ever...

The deceased what having a disagreement with another rider (on a samlor) while it was raining, and 'after the samlor' passed him, he lost control and collided with an electricity pole ??

- Would this mean that they were both riding at speed (relatively at speed) and at the same time they were arguing, and the samlor rider cut him off forcing him off the road ?

RIP to the Brit... 

one of numerous posibilities. Road rage is not something Thais do generally though so the Brit was possibly mouthing off at the Thai and wasn't watching what he was doing. 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Yes when a friend has made a comment on here involving the motor bike incident  we won't get to many  people speculating on what happened 🤔 

RIP to the guy 

How does the friend know, was he there? , otherwise he is guessing like everyone else. The video looked like it was a pretty deserted area that time of night

Self control can save your life. Dueling motorcycles on a wet road (assuming the dispute claim is accurate), what could go wrong... and here we are. Unreported extenuating facts & circumstances notwithstanding (alcohol, helmets, intent, etc.). Tragic, and my guess 100% unnecessary and avoidable.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DjSilver said:

In Thailand around 20000 people die every year in traffic. And in Sweden a little bit higher than 200 people. That is 100 times higher and Thailand is not 100 times larger than Sweden, only 6.8 times larger.

That would mean, there is something else in the minds of Thais, than on the minds of Swedes.

If Thailand had better driving and traffic education, the death could ne far less. At the same time traffic accidents are at more than 250k.

I don't think Thailand and Thais will ever learn. First the outdated Thai mentality needs to change.

Maybe Thais ride motorbikes out of necessity due to social environment? I have seen rural school kids barely out of their teens on motorbikes to school, motorbikes carrying people and goods way out of their capacity, villages way out of public transport routes and others. 

• Like 1

Life is cheap in Thailand thus the nonsense of non helmet wearing. Insurance payout is also cheap. Add the notion of karma and low social economic factors to it and you  got a potent mixture of accidents just waiting to happen. 

4 hours ago, Udom said:

NOT TRUE!!!

In Thailand driving safely it is ABSOLUTELY NOT enough to be ok!!!

You purposely forget about the OTHERS (Thai) lack of driving skills and, above all, the carelessness and stupidity in their driving (and thinking) way of life…

Udom you are correct. Defensive driving at all times, spatial awareness spider sense on,  expect the worst of Thai drivers and overcompensate for their lack of driving skills. Moreover NEVER drive on unfamiliar rural surroundings at night time. 

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Road rage, why are people so angry on our roads. Every day I see an angry foreigner yelling out, blasting his horn aggressively at someone on the roads here in Pattaya. 

I give way to everyone, if it's safe to do so, everyone has right of way when I'm on the road. 

The Brit was probably angry because he was riding his 18 ye

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Road rage, why are people so angry on our roads. Every day I see an angry foreigner yelling out, blasting his horn aggressively at someone on the roads here in Pattaya. 

I give way to everyone, if it's safe to do so, everyone has right of way when I'm on the road. 

The Brit was probably angry because he was riding his 18 year old scooter. My Air Blade died about 12 years ago.  Blade died about 12 years ago. 

What a sad disrespectful person you are

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

It amuses me that you express your irrelevant opinion on everything and everyone:coffee1:

Irrelevant to you maybe... keep on reading, or just skip me.

Mii Sorry for your lost 2008, friend rest in peace. I know this Soi for 20 years live on it travel daily up and down all hours including night. That time of the accident near midnight although this Soi is one of two in all of Pattaya which this one is on the Darkside very condense and populated with vehicles and foot traffic.

One lane in each direction logical speed max 30-40KM/H safe but you would be lucky to see in general a bike doing that speed average seem 60 plus cars not much slower. Weekdays there two major schools on this road from 4-7, it is a mad house worse when it rains. If they ever want to revise their driver education set up a camera will have thousands of violations example as to what not to do. 

By midnight bars arent allow to open so this Soi is general very quiet. As I noted earlier Ive not seen cameras on this Soi, so I did a bit of investigating first this Soi is known as Nernpludwan it starts Sukhumvit across from Paytaya Klang.  Coming from the West to East I saw only one camera it was over 1 KM from the area of accident. Also noted there is a 7/11 right at corner of S24.

The Soi is very narrow with narrow sidewalk of a meter and utility poles are CM from the road. In 1. Years Ive seen two your adults die because the bikers refuse to give right away to car although the car had taken 100% of road unable for bike to pass instead thpugh they hit the gas go up the sidewalk last minute too late they hit the front of the car fly off straight into a utility pole head first snapping their head, neck and spin.

On a heavy downpour this area is the most dangerous just before Soi 24, which has a down hill grade along with Soi Nernpludwan water comes rushing down from both direction it is completely flooded I seriously doubt the work being done will help.  Not a place to be having road rage.

IMG_20240523_121549.jpg

IMG_20240523_121454.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jwl53 said:

OK, we see things differently, people have different opinions, you don't have to be nasty about it. 

This is not the school playground, grow up. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Udom said:

NOT TRUE!!!

In Thailand driving safely it is ABSOLUTELY NOT enough to be ok!!!

You purposely forget about the OTHERS (Thai) lack of driving skills and, above all, the carelessness and stupidity in their driving (and thinking) way of life…

Note the word "sensibly" here. If you have good motorbike experience and genuine common sense you will be safe on the Thai roads.

" (Thai) lack of driving skills and, above all, the carelessness and stupidity in their driving (and thinking) way of life…"  You definitely have got this part of your post spot on.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Mii Sorry for your lost 2008, friend rest in peace. I know this Soi for 20 years live on it travel daily up and down all hours including night. That time of the accident near midnight although this Soi is one of two in all of Pattaya which this one is on the Darkside very condense and populated with vehicles and foot traffic.

One lane in each direction logical speed max 30-40KM/H safe but you would be lucky to see in general a bike doing that speed average seem 60 plus cars not much slower. Weekdays there two major schools on this road from 4-7, it is a mad house worse when it rains. If they ever want to revise their driver education set up a camera will have thousands of violations example as to what not to do. 

By midnight bars arent allow to open so this Soi is general very quiet. As I noted earlier Ive not seen cameras on this Soi, so I did a bit of investigating first this Soi is known as Nernpludwan it starts Sukhumvit across from Paytaya Klang.  Coming from the West to East I saw only one camera it was over 1 KM from the area of accident. Also noted there is a 7/11 right at corner of S24.

The Soi is very narrow with narrow sidewalk of a meter and utility poles are CM from the road. In 1. Years Ive seen two your adults die because the bikers refuse to give right away to car although the car had taken 100% of road unable for bike to pass instead thpugh they hit the gas go up the sidewalk last minute too late they hit the front of the car fly off straight into a utility pole head first snapping their head, neck and spin.

On a heavy downpour this area is the most dangerous just before Soi 24, which has a down hill grade along with Soi Nernpludwan water comes rushing down from both direction it is completely flooded I seriously doubt the work being done will help.  Not a place to be having road rage.

IMG_20240523_121549.jpg

IMG_20240523_121454.jpg

This accident did not happen on Soi Nern Plub Wan, it was on Soi Map Yai Lia 24, because the road works, you show in the picture, diverts all traffic up that road.

That is a lot smaller road, it does have some street lighting, but on the night it was raining and visibility was not good, as seen from video from the scene.

2 hours ago, jwl53 said:

Any motorbike which comes down the wrong side of the road where I am riding will get blasted with my horn, and there are many, that will never change.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

This accident did not happen on Soi Nern Plub Wan, it was on Soi Map Yai Lia 24, because the road works, you show in the picture, diverts all traffic up that road.

That is a lot smaller road, it does have some street lighting, but on the night it was raining and visibility was not good, as seen from video from the scene.

As noted the Thai locals refer to the entired Soi as Nernpludwan regardless of the Soi being name as noted around the gas station and pizza hut. 

Technical you are correct the signs back that up.

Work as it now though not finish motorbikes are riding through which is exactly what I did to get photo, cars as noted coming to the 7/11 from East must turn right then left side Soi, then another left coming out the other side.

I do not dispute regarding the lighting made no mentioned of it!  reason they call it the Darkside 

Regardless of the name one choose to call the Soi we are talking exactly the same location my photo shows taken a few hours ago.

I wish a link was posted of the accident Ive not seen it but has no relevamce to my overall posting since Im not given an opinion as to why and how this accident happened. The photo given is for those who dont know what the Soi looks like have an idea.

4 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Road rage is not something Thais do generally though

Road rage is extremely common in Thailand. 

I had an older Thai man block my vehicle, get out and try to open my vehicle door before trying to spit in the window, all the while hurling obscenities about foreigners.

This was just for beeping the horn at him.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Udom you are correct. Defensive driving at all times, spatial awareness spider sense on,  expect the worst of Thai drivers and overcompensate for their lack of driving skills. Moreover NEVER drive on unfamiliar rural surroundings at night time. 

Spot on, a very good answer...

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

As noted the Thai locals refer to the entire Soi as Nernpludwan regardless of the Soi being name as noted around the gas station and pizza hut. 

Technical you are correct the signs back that up.

Work as it now though not finish motorbikes are riding through which is exactly what I did to get photo, cars as noted coming to the 7/11 from East must turn right then left side Soi, then another left coming out the other side.

I do not dispute regarding the lighting made no mentioned of it! reason they call it the Darkside 

Regardless of the name one choose to call the Soi we are talking exactly the same location my photo shows taken a few hours ago.

I wish a link was posted of the accident Ive not seen it but has no relevamce to my overall posting since Im not given an opinion as to why and how this accident happened. The photo given is for those who dont know what the Soi looks like have an idea.

On the night of the accident the road, Soi Nern Plub Wan, was still fully closed, so all traffic had to go up Soi Map Yai Lai 24.(picture below is from the dash cam of an ambulance responding to the scene.The second picture is arriving at the accident scene, from the same ambulance.)

I do not post links to the responders videos out of respect, one posters has said it was a personal friend, and they are not suitable for general viewing. Friends of the casualty are seen at the accident scene.

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DjSilver said:

In Thailand around 20000 people die every year in traffic. And in Sweden a little bit higher than 200 people. That is 100 times higher and Thailand is not 100 times larger than Sweden, only 6.8 times larger.

That would mean, there is something else in the minds of Thais, than on the minds of Swedes.

If Thailand had better driving and traffic education, the death could ne far less. At the same time traffic accidents are at more than 250k.

I don't think Thailand and Thais will ever learn. First the outdated Thai mentality needs to change.

Population of Sweden ... 10+Million

2X more motorbikes registered in Thailand than Sweden has people :cheesy:

image.png.ec4f2204f5cb21bdc7c1af6955a1e3ff.png

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Maybe a helmet would have saved Him?

R.I.P. 

Thinking same thing ...

... night time

... raining

... getting passed by MB w/salang

... speed couldn't have been that fast, very bad bounce and or no helmet ?

Lot's of assumptions with no info.  CCTV .. if ever.  Oh well, just another day in the TH ... :coffee1:

R I P 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

one of numerous posibilities. Road rage is not something Thais do generally though so the Brit was possibly mouthing off at the Thai and wasn't watching what he was doing. 

Edited by LS24
no point

9 hours ago, Shorthalfhead said:

I'd rather be in a Volvo in Thailand more than a scooter in Sweden

I'd rather be in a German tank in Thailand more than a scooter in Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'd rather be in a German tank in Thailand more than a scooter in Thailand

I'm probably knocking on 1 million kms here, next year or 3, and I think people drive just fine here.  I actually feel safer driving a MB here than in the USA.

I've had way less accidents here, most my fault than USA.  2 scooter clipped me, very minor, in 23+ years.  Much worse accidents in USA, that I was involved in.

YMMV.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, kwaussie said:

Always ride your bike as if everyone is out to get you.

After riding on the road in various countries for over 40 years I totally agree.  When asked by biker mates back home as to what it is like riding in LOS, I always liken it to being similar to one of those old arcade video driving games where you have everything coming at you from all sides.  No matter how good you are at reading the road though, you can never prepare for being by some idiot from the rear.

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

On the night of the accident the road, Soi Nern Plub Wan, was still fully closed, so all traffic had to go up Soi Map Yai Lai 24.(picture below is from the dash cam of an ambulance responding to the scene.The second picture is arriving at the accident scene, from the same ambulance.)

I do not post links to the responders videos out of respect, one posters has said it was a personal friend, and they are not suitable for general viewing. Friends of the casualty are seen at the accident scene.

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

I do understand, these photos taken dash cam of emergency vehicles are after the fact and seem downpour during accident has ended.

As you know the area west going east just before Soi 24, there is a big 7/11 across Pussy cat bar there area slope down on a heavy downpour water comes rushing down to Soi 24 where the work is being done. On one occasion coming back from a bike ride though it a challenge to see if I could ride up against the rapid didnt get far another on my PCX was a challenge. So if one is coming down downpour speeding, or road rage etc.. Not the time or place.

To be honest although the photo shows the road to be close left side heading east one can scoot between the cones Ive done it several times since I use that Soi to go home on the left there is a bar right there. On my bike I dont use the detour.

As noted I dont see any cameras in that area unless the 7/11 caught as to what happen the witness doesnt seem to provide much.

RIP

20 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I do understand, these photos taken dash cam of emergency vehicles are after the fact and seem downpour during accident has ended.

As you know the area west going east just before Soi 24, there is a big 7/11 across Pussy cat bar there area slope down on a heavy downpour water comes rushing down to Soi 24 where the work is being done. On one occasion coming back from a bike ride though it a challenge to see if I could ride up against the rapid didnt get far another on my PCX was a challenge. So if one is coming down downpour speeding, or road rage etc.. Not the time or place.

To be honest although the photo shows the road to be close left side heading east one can scoot between the cones I've done it several times since I use that Soi to go home on the left there is a bar right there. On my bike I dont use the detour.

As noted I dont see any cameras in that area unless the 7/11 caught as to what happen the witness doesnt seem to provide much.

RIP

I am not sure if you understand where this accident occurred, as it happened nowhere near the 7/11.

The ambulance with the dash cam, shows it route down Soi Nern Plub Wan and there was no flooding.

The CCTV posted in the link to the Irish Sun, was from the beer wholesaler.

IMG_2939.jpeg