'E-cigarettes' may be classified as a drug

17 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Ignorant vapers who just blow the huge waft of vape smoke into the air without a thought of those around them is disgusting. 

The smoke that they emit is much more than a regular cigarette. 

100% this.

And the ridiculous part of it is they do it in non-smoking areas too, and venue owners allow it. Vapers constantly puff and it is by far more emissions than a normal cigarrete, it is not harmless. Why is it allowed in non-smoking areas?

• Sad 1

So the dumb Muppets in the out of date education ministry are now the arbiters of what is a narcotic, thereby taking over from the health ministry, cabinet etc on the issue.

Clearly someone is way out of their pay grade on this one. Meanwhile continue smoking cigarettes behind the bicycle sheds...

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Ignorant vapers who just blow the huge waft of vape smoke into the air without a thought of those around them is disgusting. 

Well put. By banning vapes this will put out a clear message to the tobacco corporations who thrive on people becoming addicts and keep the school age children away from the horrors of tobacco addiction.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

By your logic, if guns are legal, then tanks and bombs (in the hands of citizens) should be. Right?

No.  That's the opposite.  His logic, applied to your example, would be that if tanks and bombs aren't illegal (as tobacco isn't), then why are they wanting guns (vapes) to be illegal?

He's saying that if the worse/more harmful thing isn't illegal, why would they make the better/less harmful thing illegal?

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Labeling 'e-cigarettes' as a drug oversimplifies the issue. Nicotine, while addictive, isn't categorically considered a drug like many controlled substances. It's legally available in various forms like patches and gums for smoking cessation purposes. Regulating e-cigarettes should prioritize safety and preventing underage use without unfairly stigmatizing adults who choose vaping as a harm reduction tool. Btw, for those exploring alternative options, https://www.utopian.ch/ offers a range of CBD products and accessories worth considering, promoting informed choices and responsible use. Let's approach these discussions with balanced perspectives and thoughtful regulation.

Edited by orang37

On 5/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

100% this.

And the ridiculous part of it is they do it in non-smoking areas too, and venue owners allow it. Vapers constantly puff and it is by far more emissions than a normal cigarrete, it is not harmless. Why is it allowed in non-smoking areas?

Second hand vape is not harmful- proven fact now.

And for that matter, first hand vape is relatively harmless too.

• Sad 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:27 PM, kimamey said:

The nicotine is very addictive so it might make sense to classify that as an addictive drug, but where does that leave cigarettes?

Or caffeine for that matter!  Not to mention alcohol of course.

On 5/23/2024 at 5:40 PM, DonniePeverley said:

agree, the amount of smoke is vast and smell often awful. it's an antisocial habit, many vapers care little for those they affect around them.

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

What state of delusion do you reside in... and what gives you the authority to publish this misinformation and lie???  

"It’s not clear how harmful secondhand vaping is since vaping is still relatively new. Its long-term effects are still being investigated.

What we do know so far is that vape aerosol contains a number of harmful substances, including:

nicotine

ultrafine particles

various other toxins, including several cancer-causing agents

There’s evidence that nonsmokers exposed to secondhand vape aerosol absorb similar levels of nicotine as people exposed to secondhand cigarette smoke.

Along with nicotine, nonvapers are also exposed to ultrafine particles from secondhand vape aerosol, which may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Secondhand vape aerosol also contains several known carcinogens that may increase the risk of certain cancers.

These carcinogens include:

lead

formaldehyde

toluene"  Secondhand Vape Exposure: Effects, Who's at Risk, and More (healthline.com)   or this report after 6 years more studies... 

Edited by Skipalongcassidy

On 5/25/2024 at 11:27 PM, kimamey said:

The nicotine is very addictive so it might make sense to classify that as an addictive drug, but where does that leave cigarettes?

Cigarettes are highly addictive drugs!

On 7/18/2024 at 8:05 PM, mommysboy said:

Absolute false nonsense. There is no enough data and studies to conclude anything such as that, existing data shows harmful effects (to a lesser degree than cigarettes), and not all vapes are created alike: some companies use ingredients that are not (supposed to be) harmful, while others (Chinese crap comes to mind) will stick anything in there if it makes it taste good (addictive). There have been many documented cases of vape users being hospitalized and even dying due to toxic ingredients in specific brands.

On 7/19/2024 at 3:26 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

What state of delusion do you reside in... and what gives you the authority to publish this misinformation and lie???  

"It’s not clear how harmful secondhand vaping is since vaping is still relatively new. Its long-term effects are still being investigated.

What we do know so far is that vape aerosol contains a number of harmful substances, including:

nicotine

ultrafine particles

various other toxins, including several cancer-causing agents

There’s evidence that nonsmokers exposed to secondhand vape aerosol absorb similar levels of nicotine as people exposed to secondhand cigarette smoke.

Along with nicotine, nonvapers are also exposed to ultrafine particles from secondhand vape aerosol, which may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Secondhand vape aerosol also contains several known carcinogens that may increase the risk of certain cancers.

These carcinogens include:

lead

formaldehyde

toluene"  Secondhand Vape Exposure: Effects, Who's at Risk, and More (healthline.com)   or this report after 6 years more studies... 

research by University College London (UCL), published in JAMA Network Open

Nicotine (which in any case is not particularly harmful in small amounts) was 1/7th that of cigarettes, while other potential toxicants were regarded as very low risk or negligible.

Note: these are real life studies (on small bodies at that) rather than junk science.  

10 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Absolute false nonsense. There is no enough data and studies to conclude anything such as that, existing data shows harmful effects (to a lesser degree than cigarettes), and not all vapes are created alike: some companies use ingredients that are not (supposed to be) harmful, while others (Chinese crap comes to mind) will stick anything in there if it makes it taste good (addictive). There have been many documented cases of vape users being hospitalized and even dying due to toxic ingredients in specific brands.

https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/quit-smoking/vaping-to-quit-smoking/vaping-myths-and-the-facts/

I prefer mainstream!

On 7/19/2024 at 6:58 AM, 2baht said:

Cigarettes are highly addictive drugs!

Cigarettes are crushed tobacco leaves formed into a cylinder using paper.

Tobacco contains a highly addictive drug called nicotine.

Consider yourself levelled-up 

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

research by University College London (UCL), published in JAMA Network Open

Nicotine (which in any case is not particularly harmful in small amounts) was 1/7th that of cigarettes, while other potential toxicants were regarded as very low risk or negligible.

Note: these are real life studies (on small bodies at that) rather than junk science.  

You do not even understand nor can you even honestly quote your own source... it is not ok for you to interject into their report your opinion that nicotine is not particularly harmful... that is not included in their report nor is it the focus of that report... they merely compared harm from vaping exposure to harm from raw cigarette exposer... they did not quantify the harmful effects... no wonder you make such ignorant statements... read it again and have an adult explain it to you... Second-hand vaping exposure very low compared to second-hand smoking | UCL News - UCL – University College London

Edited by Skipalongcassidy

15 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You do not even understand nor can you even honestly quote your own source... it is not ok for you to interject into their report your opinion that nicotine is not particularly harmful... that is not included in their report nor is it the focus of that report... they merely compared harm from vaping exposure to harm from raw cigarette exposer... they did not quantify the harmful effects... no wonder you make such ignorant statements... read it again and have an adult explain it to you... Second-hand vaping exposure very low compared to second-hand smoking | UCL News - UCL – University College London

I don't like using links in the way you do.  I really don't want to get in to this sort of argument anyway. 

Certainly in the UK, the NHS and MHRSA, as well as Cancer UK, endorse vaping as being much safer than conventional cigarettes. Both short term and medium term safety have been achieved, and it is not considered that long term will be any different. 

So I really don't need to cross words about other evidence, which is often less than good, and full of false assumptions, prejudice, and down right false hoods.

On a personal note, do you honestly understand what nicotine vaping is? Have you ever smoked? Have you ever vaped?  

Frankly, I would rather believe mainstream websites and prestigious institutes.

Perhaps we just come from different countries with different beliefs about vaping.  Let's leave it at that, yeah!

Edited by mommysboy
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I don't like using links in the way you do.  I really don't want to get in to this sort of argument anyway. 

Certainly in the UK, the NHS and MHRSA, as well as Cancer UK, endorse vaping as being much safer than conventional cigarettes. Both short term and medium term safety have been achieved, and it is not considered that long term will be any different. 

So I really don't need to cross words about other evidence, which is often less than good, and full of false assumptions, prejudice, and down right false hoods.

On a personal note, do you honestly understand what nicotine vaping is? Have you ever smoked? Have you ever vaped?  

Frankly, I would rather believe mainstream websites and prestigious institutes.

Perhaps we just come from different countries with different beliefs about vaping.  Let's leave it at that, yeah!

Believe what you want... kill yourself slower than a smoker but by the same means... but do not try to pass off that drivel about it not being bad for a person... it is NOT healthy and does long lasting damage to a human body... I wish that I had had the information concerning the damage that it does and what the lasting effects would be to me concerning smoking when I was younger... I would hope that armed with that information I would have made better choices... I had neither and am paying the price now...  that's on me... but to mislead and misinform young people about the damages done by smoking AND vaping... that's on you.

• Sad 1

e cigarettes, drugs than the normal cigarettes too... E cigarettes are even less dangerous than the normal tobacco... But the industry will not like it and besides that many tourists who are vaping will never come to Thailand anymore.. The more they try to control everything the less it will work and more being destroyed

WOW!!!! if ya dont like something list it as a drug. when will taxshi_ be listed as a drug?

seriously, i am dumbfounded at how the thai heads of state and ministries tackle problems. 

they treat everything as a nail cos the only tool they have in their toolboxes are hammers

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Believe what you want... kill yourself slower than a smoker but by the same means... but do not try to pass off that drivel about it not being bad for a person... it is NOT healthy and does long lasting damage to a human body...

it is the people's choice. i have COPD from years of smoking 4 packs a day. i dont think i have very long to live. if i could go back knowing what would happen to me i might have never smoked. BUT IT WAS MY CHOICE to do it. i am paying the cost now but i believe people have the right to choose

15 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Believe what you want... kill yourself slower than a smoker but by the same means... but do not try to pass off that drivel about it not being bad for a person... it is NOT healthy and does long lasting damage to a human body... I wish that I had had the information concerning the damage that it does and what the lasting effects would be to me concerning smoking when I was younger... I would hope that armed with that information I would have made better choices... I had neither and am paying the price now...  that's on me... but to mislead and misinform young people about the damages done by smoking AND vaping... that's on you.

Well, I have to go by reputable science.  If the NHS, BHF, MHRA, etc, all state the same thing, and my own personal experience seems to point that way too, then it would be a bit silly to believe otherwise, wouldn't it?

I certainly don't think it's healthy, no addiction can be really. There are and will be consequences imo.  But I'm convinced there's a difference between cigarettes and e-cigarettes.  Crucially I don't think vapes cause cancer anywhere near on the scale of cigarettes, mostly because they don't produce tar.

Most anti vapers conflate smoking with vaping,,, and that's that I suppose.

In all honesty, I don't think I'm advocating vaping (let alone smoking) to any young people or non smokers.  But it is a boon for smokers who can't quit as it is proven very much safer- put it this way the alternative is guaranteed bad health sooner or later.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2024 at 6:29 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Mate! You could start a fight in an empty room.

To repeat, I said second hand vape is harmless, and that vaping is relatively harmless (compared to smoking).

Sorry, to hear about your health, by the way. 

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

To repeat, I said second hand vape is harmless, and that vaping is relatively harmless (compared to smoking).

Do you not even comprehend how stupid and wrong that statement is... vaping and second hand vape is less harmful than smoking but NOT harmless... do you have a grownup who can explain that to you... because one action is less harmful than another does not make it harmless.

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2024 at 6:38 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Do you not even comprehend how stupid and wrong that statement is... vaping and second hand vape is less harmful than smoking but NOT harmless... do you have a grownup who can explain that to you... because one action is less harmful than another does not make it harmless.

Nothing is harmless I suppose if we take it to micro mort levels.  Do you know how toxic cooking is for instance, or sitting on new furniture, or many foods for that matter, even the air you breathe?

Vaping is about that level. 

I do agree that it doesn't need to happen in shared areas, because many people like yourself find it disagreeable/ disgusting. 

I do a fair bit of research about health matters. My only concern is about being hooked on something- generally never a good idea, unless it's sport. I work out, exercise every day, and am remarkably fit for my age. If I had significant concerns about vaping I wouldn't do it. I gave up booze because I realized it was so unhealthy.