Thai groom-to-be attempts organ sale & suicide over lack of dowry

snoop1130

2012-2024-05-23T103611.jpg

Police in the northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon successfully intervened in a suicide attempt by a Thai man who was unable to pay his 200,000 baht dowry, even after attempting to sell his organs.

Officers from Mueang Sakon Nakhon Police Station and the rescue team were alerted to the suicide attempt at a pedestrian bridge outside the Robinson shopping mall on Nittayo Road in Sakon Nakhon at around 10.30am yesterday, May 22, and rushed to the scene.

The Thai man, identified only as Pete, was seen pacing back and forth on the bridge, repeatedly attempting to jump. Officers closed the road beneath the bridge and prepared a safety cushion.

Rescuers and police then convinced Pete to abandon his suicide plan. After the discussion, he asked the police to contact his girlfriend and bring her to the scene.

While waiting for his girlfriend, Pete revealed to officers that he had been in a relationship with his girlfriend for nearly a year and planned the wedding with a 200,000 baht dowry. However, the wedding could not proceed because Pete could not afford the dowry for his future wife.

Pete’s girlfriend declined to attend the scene, prompting officers to persuade Pete to communicate with her over the phone. Pete requested the police to place the phone on the ground for him to retrieve, which they accepted. However, as Pete moved towards the phone, the police swiftly apprehended him and transported him to the hospital for additional treatment.

According to police, the groom-to-be lived in Bangkok but his girlfriend was from Sakon Nakhon province. He travelled to Sakon Nakhon three weeks before the incident to prepare for the wedding ceremony.

A week ago, Pete made a Facebook post offering to sell his organs to raise money for the dowry but there were no takers. Unable to afford the dowry, he had to leave his girlfriend’s home, abandoning their wedding plans.

After the wedding fell through, Pete’s girlfriend cut off all contact with him. Despite his attempts to reconcile with her, he was unsuccessful, which ultimately led to his attempted suicide.

If you or anyone you know is in emotional distress, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand 24-hour hotline: 02 713 6791 (English), 02 713 6793 (Thai), or the Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai). Please also contact your friends or relatives at this time if you have feelings of loneliness, stress, or depression. Seek help.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Channel 7

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im sure the wife would be fine if it were a suicide..as long as his insurance plan was paid up...

kill 2 birds with one stone....and off to TF app to find another teerak....joop joop!

Insurances do not pay out on suicides 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

if he cant sell his organ maybe try his stereo----vcr   or dvd player???

another case of backwards thinking .....

he should have been looking into buying some brains .   not selling  a kidney or ???

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why isn't selling your daughter regarded as human trafficking in Thailand? Ah, Thai culture. Okay. That's fine, then.

Traditionally in Issahn sinsod is paid by the groom or his family and the groom then moves to the brides home and becomes a laborer for her and her family. I would hardly regard that as selling their daughter or human trafficking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ningnong said:
22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why isn't selling your daughter regarded as human trafficking in Thailand? Ah, Thai culture. Okay. That's fine, then.

Traditionally in Issahn sinsod is paid by the groom or his family and the groom then moves to the brides home and becomes a laborer for her and her family. I would hardly regard that as selling their daughter or human trafficking.

So you are saying that the groom pays her family for the privilege of living in her home as an unpaid worker, to serve his wife and her family? All a bit archaic, isn't it, with no place in reality in the modern world.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So you are saying that the groom pays her family for the privilege of living in her home as an unpaid worker, to serve his wife and her family? All a bit archaic, isn't it, with no place in reality in the modern world.

He got it wrong Barry. She is actually adopted into the groom's family SinSod is effectively an adoption fee. The grooms family then take responsibility for her welfare as if she was a natural born daughter. If the son dies they are supposed to take her in and look after her and support her. SinSod is an honourable Thai tradition the amount paid to the brides family is a reflection on the quality of her upbringing it is compensation for her upbringing and education that the husband's family would have paid if they had brought her up from birth. What is means is unscrupulous men can't target women for their inheritance and potential to bring in income because of their education or family contacts

Edited by RobU
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Insurances do not pay out on suicides 

Does life insurance pay out in case of suicide?

Suicide is not generally covered in the first two years of a life insurance policy but it is covered after that. This two-year period is known as a suicide clause.Jan 3, 2567 BE

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

All a bit archaic, isn't it, with no place in reality in the modern world.

"no place in reality in the modern world."

I imagine people will be saying the same thing about this tradition 50 years from now.

4 hours ago, RobU said:

He got it wrong Barry. She is actually adopted into the groom's family SinSod is effectively an adoption fee. The grooms family then take responsibility for her welfare as if she was a natural born daughter.

I assume you're referring to my post when you say 'he got it wrong.'

Note I said 'traditionally in Issahn' and to be clear this applies to rural Issahn.

There can be a negotiation for the bride to move in with the grooms family but that requires a higher sinsod and is rarely done, wild guess is less than 10% of the time.

My limited understanding for central Thailand is the opposite is true, the bride moves in with the grooms family most of the time. Possibly because of all the Chinese blood. But I never lived there so no personal observations.

Travel to India, find a girl and marry. As groom you get dowry ! Can even extend later if you want more money.

Or go to Nigeria, marry and you never have to work anymore, as your woman do all the working.

Dont try to help her, as other husbands will prevent, you doing so.

The amazing world of cultures. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ningnong said:

I assume you're referring to my post when you say 'he got it wrong.'

Note I said 'traditionally in Issahn' and to be clear this applies to rural Issahn.

There can be a negotiation for the bride to move in with the grooms family but that requires a higher sinsod and is rarely done, wild guess is less than 10% of the time.

My limited understanding for central Thailand is the opposite is true, the bride moves in with the grooms family most of the time. Possibly because of all the Chinese blood. But I never lived there so no personal observations.

It is the responsibility of the eldest natural son to care for the elders of the family here in Issan and he inherits the business. if there are no sons then the eldest daughter is responsible. It is not the responsibility of the new groom unless his wife is the eldest daughter and there are no sons in that case he would work with his wife in the business which she will inherit. 

On 5/23/2024 at 3:34 PM, simon43 said:

His wife-to-be couldn't be bothered to attend the scene?  I politely suggest that Pete looks for a more decent person to marry, preferably with no dowry required...

She isn't his wife-to-be, the relationship was over and she had cut off all contact with her.

• Like 1