What is the draw of Thermae

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Bizarre place. A girl grabs you by the arm as you walk in. I think they have a que system or they can tell which girl is a good match without any discussion and that one will step forward. If you are hesitant, shy or poor on decisions that was the place to be.

Very incongruous sitting as it did in the heart of KL, but it wasn't alone there was a Thai themed bar/restaurant on the opposite side of Jalan Ampang which was almost as bad, but The Beach Club was a total meat market and you were the meat.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ignore it said:

A word of remberance for Martinis, Phnom Penh.

Never forgotten.

Also, the Walkabout. That's the sleaziest I've seen.

Edited by JimTripper

8 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The lure of Thermae vanished 15-20 years ago when it became a Jap Trap. In the early and mid-90s it was pure, cheap, anything goes FUN...especially after 0200 when Soi Cowboy closed. It was the Mos Eisley Cantina of freelance BangkokGood times...DAMN good times. :coffee1:

It's where the phrase 'no one's ugly after 2am' originated - owned and managed by the RTP allegedly

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

Can you list your literary achievements?

You make your post ridiculous by this child like observation.

A little self awareness would also have alerted you to the reality that the literary prizes quoted, with which you are oddly familiar, are not exactly mainstream.

If you seek a genuinely talented Bangkok based novelist try John Burdett.And then there is Lawrence Osborne who towers over all.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I think you mean.......They much prefer Japanese and Korean men's wallets.

Wallets, anatomy, lack of wear and tear, and lack of need to waste a lot of their time. 

10 hours ago, lou norman said:

the spot y'all talking about is not Thermaes. It's (or at least used to be) the Constellation, a coffee shop. Thermaes is the massage parlor above. I haven't been there since the 90's. The entrance used to be through the toilets in back. Best after-hours pickup spot in the town.

The Old Thermae closed (and was torn down) after the Flood of -- was it '92? Anyway, they tried to stay open for a while, but the place developed fungus and stank pretty badly. The New Thermae opened a couple of doors down Sukhumwit in the basement of a hotel whose name I can never remember. Most people started going in the front door, and you didn't have the stairway going down. Damn, I just realized I haven't been there for twenty years.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you sure about the bars closing at 10pm? Back when I visited Thermae, the bars were open till well past 2 am, many somewhere around dawn. Hollywood Royale was still going at about 8 am. I don't know what time it actually closed as I never last that long.

Sorry, it should read 2 am.

In that time there was no real closing time imposed, but most girls were leaving the bars at 2am.

8 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Here is a blast from the past.

Anyone ever been to Woodstock, used to be in the top corner of Nana?

How about Tahitian Queen in Pattaya?

Woodstock was one of the first bars on Nana, they got things started in the mid eighties. I was a regular back then, have a few beers at Woodstock, and then head to the Grace hotel or the Thermae. The Grace back then was mainly farang, in the late eighties the Arabs took over, the Thermae would remain farang for another decade.

The attraction of the old Thermae was that it was owned by the police, and could stay open all night. Before 2 am it was deserted, but quickly filled after the go go's closed at 2.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How exactly do you score in that place?

Hello sexy man, please I want to go with you, and I don't want any money from you? Or how does that work? 

Walk up, smile offer money. By score I mean findingin a woman that matches my tastes. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

It's a flesh market

The ruffled dress one is a ladyboy (.45). At about 2:14 there is a gal with biggies under a white blouse. Nice girl, been there about 7 years. Bowl haircut under the picture at 3:20 has been there for years. She epsecializes in Asians.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you don't "score" anymore than every other bloke in there, you pay, that is not "scoring".

When he tells that his friends at home it just sounds so much better... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Here is a blast from the past.

Anyone ever been to Woodstock, used to be in the top corner of Nana?

How about Tahitian Queen in Pattaya?

Woodstock. Now we're on Memory Lane, I had forgotten it. Great  place to play pool and just unwind. It was Nana but not Nana and a gem. Along with some now-forgotten bars in Patpong, Woodstock didn't hassle - all that was downstairs.

As for Thermae, it was somewhere to get even more drunk after hours and, as they used to say, "all human life was there" and a bit beside. Probably 25 years since I was last there, though, and I haven't missed it.

7 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

My recollection from decades ago was that they checked the ID's of all the girls and didn't let ladyboys in. I really liked that policy.

That's why there's so many trannies cluttering-up the pavement outside!

57 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

The ruffled dress one is a ladyboy (.45). At about 2:14 there is a gal with biggies under a white blouse. Nice girl, been there about 7 years. Bowl haircut under the picture at 3:20 has been there for years. She epsecializes in Asians.

I bow to your intimate knowledge sir.

10 hours ago, Yagoda said:

30 years later Im still smashing 18 year olds out of there, but now Im sober. Time marches on.

Cool story but take care grandpa or I suspect the only thing you'll be in danger of 'smashing' is your hip

(your dignity obvs went decades ago)

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Seems you dont know how this whorehouse works. When was the last time you graced the premises? I was there last month.

But Im not going to argue with you, you probably are a Patts guy. For the culture of course.

So note to newbies and researchers: 

Thermae is a Bar under the Ruamchitt hotel that has been present at its present location for just about 30 years. Before that it was at a different location during Viet Nam. The way it works is, you enter, turn left to buy a drink, then walk clockwise around the center bar where as many as 100 ladies stand around waiting for Mr. Right. About 60% are part timers or freelancers. They pay an entrance fee, and then a commision per customer. They have assigned areas in the bar.  They come and go as they please. They get discounts on food and beverage, plus a few baht everytime a dude buys them a drink. You just approach a girl and work your wiles. Usually 2500 short time.

Up till 2000 ish, it was a Western Playground, then it became a playground for the Japanese, now its Koreans and Chinese. Frequently, Im the only white guy in the place, which is good because if there are a load of Chinese, I stand out because the girls dont like on Chinese except as to how fast they can get rid of them after they collect double what they charge me.

Drinks are cheap, the food is OK, the staff (towards me at least) are friendly and there are gals of all shapes, ages and sizes ready to make your night happy.

Its not a "party" place anymore and thats because the Chinese dont party. The Japanese used to have some wild times in there.  If you want to drink with gilrs, just buy them drinks.

Black non Americans: you arent getting any, they are afraid of you. Black Americans: They will be nicer to you but not by much. Indians: a few girls will go with you, but a lot will just reject you. Essentially, the place is for Asian and White guys. Young Westerners may have trouble. I was there one night with a bunch of young Cowboys from the US who were getting rejected left and right and they were whining about their lack of success. My response: dudes you are 6 foot tall young muscleboys from the Dakotas, nonee of these girls want you wearing it out. So older guys and Asians who are perceived as being weak, rich and quick do best.

Its a buyers market by the way. If you are white, dont waste your time on the girls dressed like K-pop girls, they are there for the Asian crowd.

Its a fab place and an instituition. I was last there a month ago where I luckily grabbed Fa, a slinky 25 year old that was so.....never mind.

Oh its a great place to watch football too.

great description. keep you away from my daughters...

13 hours ago, Yagoda said:

You just approach a girl and work your wiles. Usually 2500 short time.

Sounds like you're providing them a white man's version of the 3-3-3 rule. Makes sense why some there are willing to provide service to you. 

Have you had a look down on Soi 4 lately in front of what used to be the Raja Hotel? I'm told there are lots of young Vietnamese girls there now who have good bodies and go for less. I've also heard there are many young African girls down there too. I'm just reporting info provided to me by a friend of course.  

3 hours ago, Acharn said:

The Old Thermae closed (and was torn down) after the Flood of -- was it '92? Anyway, they tried to stay open for a while, but the place developed fungus and stank pretty badly. The New Thermae opened a couple of doors down Sukhumwit in the basement of a hotel whose name I can never remember. Most people started going in the front door, and you didn't have the stairway going down. Damn, I just realized I haven't been there for twenty years.

That land was sold to a real estate development company around 1993 or 1994. Then the old Thermae was closed down in 1996 to make way for land redevelopment. Nothing to do with the 1992 flood. 

1 hour ago, BigBruv said:

Cool story but take care grandpa or I suspect the only thing you'll be in danger of 'smashing' is your hip

(your dignity obvs went decades ago)

I never had nor needed any dignity, unlike you, who lost whatever you had with that post

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, you do not know what a brothel is.

The original Thermae literally was a brothel because the upstairs part had a fishbowl with rooms. The outside of the building said it was barber though. Barber used to be the code word for knocking shops in Thailand 30-40 years ago. The downstairs was just a cafe with takeaway freelancers. Same as it still is now.