Thailand and China ditching the dollar

webfact

image.jpeg

Beijing and Bangkok to dedollarize their trade by promoting their national currencies. With CBDCs? What about Bitcoin?

Thailand and China no longer want the dollar

The central banks of the two nations signed an agreement this Tuesday aiming to strengthen cooperation to facilitate cross-border settlements in local currencies.

Not a month goes by without nations taking steps to bypass the dollar in their bilateral trade. India and Nigeria concluded a similar agreement just last week.

Dedollarization is a reality and the Russian president emphasized it again during his recent state visit to China. On this topic, don’t miss our article: Putin cuts a dollar short.

Little information has emerged on how the two Asian countries plan to facilitate their trade. We do know, however, that Thailand and China are working together on the mBridge project (multiple CBDC Bridge).

Some consider this international CBDC transaction project could break the monopoly of the SWIFT network. The project involves the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) and the central banks of China, Hong Kong, Thailand, and the United Arab Emirates.

China is concerned that its economy relies on payment networks controlled by the West. Recall that Iran and Russia were disconnected from the SWIFT network. That is to say, two countries openly hostile to the dollar,

Full story: cointribune 2024-05-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

20 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Perhaps they will buy Chinese gold online next... 😆 

Why not?

You can buy gold online on Taobao and have a robot delivery van bring your shiny precious to your home the next morning.

Chinese banks are now selling direct online, in addition to selling coins and bars in the lobby.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

You can buy gold online on Taobao and have a robot delivery van bring your shiny precious to your home the next morning.

and how will you pay for it?

monopoly money?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

no one in their right mind is going to trust the CCP to deal in RMB. when they have a long history of using currency manipulation to prop up their export economy every time the  *hit hits the fan ..... just sayin' !

Signing of the renewal of the Chinese Yuan - Thai Baht Bilateral Currency Swap Arrangement. Local currency exchange transactions under the Agreement are capped at 70 billion yuan ($370 billion) and have a five-year term from December 22, 2020.Jan 8, 2564 BE

https://www.bot.or.th/en/news-and-media/news/news-20210108.html#:~:text=Currency Swap Arrangement-,Signing of the renewal of the Chinese Yuan,Baht Bilateral Currency Swap Arrangement&text=Local currency exchange transactions under,term from December 22%2C 2020.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Signing of the renewal of the Chinese Yuan - Thai Baht Bilateral Currency Swap Arrangement. Local currency exchange transactions under the Agreement are capped at 70 billion yuan ($370 billion) and have a five-year term from December 22, 2020.Jan 8, 2564 BE

https://www.bot.or.th/en/news-and-media/news/news-20210108.html#:~:text=Currency Swap Arrangement-,Signing of the renewal of the Chinese Yuan,Baht Bilateral Currency Swap Arrangement&text=Local currency exchange transactions under,term from December 22%2C 2020.

clues in my post .... no one in their right mind .... 

• Agree 1

Just now, Chetzee said:

out of interest Mike .... how do you account for the fact that when global events happen .... how come the flight is to gold and the US$  and not to RMB ?

RMB was never going to be a safe haven currency whilst the Chinese economy is n the state its in and everyone understands that. The only remaining choices for safe haven are gold and USD, and other prime currencies....TODAY. Tomorrow is very likely to be a different picture entirely. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Same as the cannabis.. First speak and do and than think and when the big problems occur, it was a misunderstanding... How can they do business with all countries if they only keep their own currencies

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

IF you use the dollar, you are always at risk of having your dollar assets frozen by the west. These is no debate about it, no evidence presented, no international body pontificating on the issue.....the US wills it for good or evil and the west do it. So using the dollar you sacrifice your sovereignty to the US. 

Exactly. Which is why China has been on a gold buying spree, because they don't want to be embargoed by the US and have their USD assets at risk, the next time they misbehave. Think Taiwan, think South China Sea.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Exactly. Which is why China has been on a gold buying spree, because they don't want to be embargoed by the US and have their USD assets at risk, the next time they misbehave. Think Taiwan, think South China Sea.

In some ways China is very smart... like them or hate them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That's the whole basis of BRICS, to which, many countries in the region have signed up, including Japan, China and Thailand. 

I am presuming that Japan is a "typo".......

Vietnam's potential bid for BRICS membership aligns with a broader trend of countries expressing interest in joining the group. Several nations, including Venezuela, Thailand, Senegal, Cuba, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Bahrain, and Pakistan, have already submitted formal applications or expressed their desire to become members.

https://infobrics.org/post/41048

Unless you were just referring to currency swaps?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Work camp, no-way... I'll head east a bit further.

I have already started investigations about Cambodia, only 35 km. from me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The Thais are such a bunch of moneygrubbers that they'd grovel for Zimbabwe dollars, never mind the US ones, lol.

im gonna try this out today at all the hawkers and massage girls on my bike ride...sorry baby your country doesnt want my USD anymore  solly!

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, topt said:

I am presuming that Japan is a "typo".......

https://infobrics.org/post/41048

Unless you were just referring to currency swaps?

Thanks, yes, that's me getting my wires crossed.

There are several new trading blocks being established, BRICS is just one of them which of course cannot include Japan because it is a G7 country. But Japan is a member of the fairly new, Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) which includes New Zealand, Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam. The new trade group that I had in mind earlier when I mentioned Japan is RCEP which comprises 12 regional economies and Japan, China, s. Korea and ASEAN countries. The aim of most of them, especially RCEP, is to avoid using USD ion trade bill settlement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Comprehensive_Economic_Partnership

https://accesspartnership.com/asia-for-asia-the-future-of-regional-trade/

https://www.voanews.com/a/britain-joins-asia-pacific-trade-group-that-includes-japan-/7183030.html

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1