Blocked/reserved table in food courts?

2 minutes ago, Screaming said:

This tread is really funny, arguing about the seating at the "fine dining" establishment of Terminal 21.

"This tread" is funnier................😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Screaming said:

This tread is really funny, arguing about the seating at the "fine dining" establishment of Terminal 21.

"This tread" is funnier................😂

• Haha 1

I don't anything wrong with booking a table, particularly if with a group. It's the first thing I do. If I can't find a table, I don't want to eat there. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Screaming said:

Do you only go to fine dining in fancy restaurants?

Personally, sometimes I go to expensive restaurants, sometimes I eat at the fresh market for maybe 50B, and sometimes in Terminal 21.

Different food, but one is not necessarily better than the other. 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you only go to fine dining in fancy restaurants?

Personally, sometimes I go to expensive restaurants, sometimes I eat at the fresh market for maybe 50B, and sometimes in Terminal 21.

Different food, but one is not necessarily better than the other. 

He's probably stuck in a fan room eating mama noodles, but talking smack about people eating a food court makes him feel better about hid lot. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Screaming said:

If this thread is not your cup of tea... what are you commenting for then ???...

There's an ongoing haemorrhoid thread which could be right up your alley... (pun intended)....   :passifier:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree with part 2, and your wife ... avoid getting yesterday's leftovers, and wait till the rush is dying down.  Food courts offer AC (usually) good food, selection, value in a clean environment.

Added plus of parking usually since most at malls, or close to public trans.

BluPort Hua Hin  guaranteed a cockroach or two on the cooks counters,,,,

Market Village,  way way better

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's an ongoing haemorrhoid thread which could be right up your alley... (pun intended)....   :passifier:

Sheryl said we're not allowed to make inappropriate comments in the health/medicine forum, I had this whole thing about fish spa treatments being adapted, pictures and everything.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

No body clears the table after eating. 

Especially in my home! But actually in public yes people do. It depends on the etiquette of the country, the type of eatery, whether there are staff employed to clear tables as there are here in food courts, after all labour here is cheap, employment laws and rights minimal, not so in Europe. For example in France it is the etiquette in this type of often huge budget eatery to clear up your " mess" yourself putting it on the tray on which you not a server brought the food from the servery/buffet and taking that tray to a stacking trolley for them. Many French diners keep everything  on the tray as they eat. I emphasize budget self service type eatery.

Restaurants with waiting staff will of course present a menu, take your order, serve and clear each course, pour your wine, bring your coffee and your bill, take your payment ....and a tip or service charge is often added to the bill of 10 even 15% of the total although you are not obliged to pay it. The portable digital card payment machines in France and the UK give you the choice of accepting or rejecting that added element with the default setting being accept. Of course there is a not altogether fair in my view subliminal aspect to it for the customer... your a ******* if you don't accept.  Personally I do tip for a pleasant  welcome, attentive but unobtrusive cheerful service and any personalised extra mile , for example for a special  occasion, for perfectly timed gaps between courses which the waiting staff must judge according to their assessment of the customer which is as much about the kitchen as front of house staff and communication between the two. I somewhat resent that this now almost mandatory added element wlways includes the price of the drinks, especially wine: they only had to open it and pour without spilling ! In Venice I once experienced the most extraordinary and elaborate wine ritual at our table, pure theatre,  but that's another story!

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

No body clears the table after eating. 

Especially in my home! But actually in public yes people do. It depends on the etiquette of the country, the type of eatery, whether there are staff employed to clear tables as there are here in food courts, after all labour here is cheap, employment laws and rights minimal, not so in Europe. For example in France it is the etiquette in this type of often huge budget eatery to clear up your " mess" yourself putting it on the tray on which you not a server brought the food from the servery/buffet and taking that tray to a stacking trolley for them. Many French diners keep everything  on the tray as they eat. I emphasize budget self service type eatery.

Restaurants with waiting staff will of course present a menu, take your order, serve and clear each course, pour your wine, bring your coffee and your bill, take your payment ....and a tip or service charge is often added to the bill of 10 even 15% of the total although you are not obliged to pay it. The portable digital card payment machines in France and the UK give you the choice of accepting or rejecting that added element with the default setting being accept. Of course there is a not altogether fair in my view subliminal aspect to it for the customer... your a ******* if you don't accept.  Personally I do tip for a pleasant  welcome, attentive but unobtrusive cheerful service and any personalised extra mile , for example for a special  occasion, for perfectly timed gaps between courses which the waiting staff must judge according to their assessment of the customer, progress of the meal, state of the conversation at that table, and which is as much about the kitchen as front of house staff and communication between the two. I somewhat resent that this now almost mandatory added element  includes the price of the drinks, which often is more perhaps far more than that of the food, especially wine: they only had to open it and pour without spilling ! In Venice I once experienced the most extraordinary and elaborate wine ritual at our table, pure theatre. But that's a story for another  time, if ever, here.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I find this behavior strange and annoying. Sit there and use the table or the table is available for other people. It could be simple.

Or it could just be as simple as you adept to the way people are doing things here. How do you think that would be?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It's much easier to look for a table when you're not carrying multiple plates of food on a tray. I do that too if eating there alone. 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I go to food courts, yesterday in Terminal 21 about noon. It was busy.

I went to the shop and bought my meal and then I looked for a table.

There were lots of tables without people, but on most of them were small or not so small items like an umbrella, maybe a keycard, or a shopping bag.

It seems some people "reserved" these tables by putting something on the table and then walk away and take their time to get the food. And then I guess they expect that everyone recognizes that the table is blocked/reserved by them and nobody else is allowed to use it.

I find this behavior strange and annoying. Sit there and use the table or the table is available for other people. It could be simple.

Luckily, I found a free table within a minute, and all was fine. But I considered already going to one of those reserved tables, put whatever someone put on the table to the side, and then eat there.

And if someone would come and complain: Yes, I noticed you forgot your bag. Here, take it back. 😉 

What do you do in such situation? 

Not as bad as putting towels on prime seats/loungers by the pool at 7:00 in the morning.   

Reserving a seat at a food court sounds like a good idea.  Looking for an empty table with a family loaded with food trays sounds like a hassle. 

I usually sit down and reserve the table while the wife and kids get all the food sorted.

Luckily you were dining alone.

Funny comment on saying, "oh, you forgot your bag, here you are".

• Agree 1

when you've been in thailand longer you'll realise this is normal behavior and you just need to accept it. or ignore it and sit down and eat your food, which i do on occassion.

thankfully back home this kind of behavior was left behind in primary school.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And why did you think you have the right to reserve that table for you? 

Everyone has a right to reserve a table before they order their food. It's the done thing in food courts when it is busy. Thai customers and educated foreigners respect this system, and so should you. They are booking their table to ensure they have somewhere to eat their food, yet you complain they have no right to do this. You are the problem.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Everyone has a right to reserve a table before they order their food. It's the done thing in food courts when it is busy. Thai customers and educated foreigners respect this system, and so should you. They are booking their table to ensure they have somewhere to eat their food, yet you complain they have no right to do this. You are the problem.

5 hours ago, it is what it is said:

thankfully back home this kind of behavior was left behind in primary school.

It seems there are different opinions about the education level...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I had lunch there about a week ago and I think I've officially sworn off lunch at terminal. It's not even high season. Sometimes I just get down there and lunch must be first on agenda

Terminal 21 always full at lunch. Therefore, if you knew that it's kinda on you as you find it bothersome.

I too have the same issue, but it's not necessarily the saved tables it's the tourists sitting around yapping bc they have nowhere to go except back to their rooms.

I generally try to find single diner and invite myself to join. Foreigners are almost certain to be ok with sharing.

Chinese definitely hanging out there. Seem to have a knack of ruining everything. Dunno...

kaw gin duay mai krap?

Edited by BusNo8
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

If I want a blocked table I take the "Blocking" items to the cashier and tell them some person forgot their things.

And if someone is sitting at a table blocking it whilst the other goes off to buy the food, do you also take the blocking item to cashier.

I would be calling the security to report the theft.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems there are different opinions about the education level...

It is typical for the poorly educated to accuse people they disagree with of being poorly educated. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Not as bad as putting towels on prime seats/loungers by the pool at 7:00 in the morning.   

Reserving a seat at a food court sounds like a good idea.  Looking for an empty table with a family loaded with food trays sounds like a hassle. 

I usually sit down and reserve the table while the wife and kids get all the food sorted.

Luckily you were dining alone.

Funny comment on saying, "oh, you forgot your bag, here you are".

Likely not Thais putting the towels down at hotel pools. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

BluPort Hua Hin  guaranteed a cockroach or two on the cooks counters,,,,

Market Village,  way way better

You've never worked in restaurant ... roaches are a fact of life, even in the most posh venues.  Bluport probably has less, since newer build, and less vendors.   

Frequent both often, Bluport more due to Gourmet Markets and 'You Hunt, We Cook' as one of the best, reasonably priced 'beef steak' vendors.  Decent 'Mexican / wrap' vendor also, along with sweet tooth fixes.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I never considered reserving a table before getting food at a mall FC. But, then again I'm becoming disillusioned about T21 FC. Yeah, a cheap meal but it's also a poor meal. Rather go to a regular restaurant. Better experience.

And, people who reserve lounge chairs at the pool at 0700, y'all go to hell.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1