euthanise my 16 year old dog

31 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Give him some sleeping pills and an Insulin injection. It works

I was going to suggest pills and a bag over the head, but I hadn't thought of insulin. That would probably be the least traumatic for a non medical person.

I once had to put down 8 working dogs at one time. Not a happy experience as a vet should have been sent, but wasn't and I had to do it myself. I used an injection in a vein, which was not traumatic, but getting the needle into an awake dog's vein is not that easy, so that was the hardest part. Insulin doesn't have to be given in a vein- just injected into the fat layer under the skin.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Make a round call to Veterenary Clinics, there are some for help in this Situation. Last Year my neighbor has do this (His Thai Wife) in Hua Hin. 16 Years old Doggie was released from his pain:coffee1:

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, rickthailand said:

hi,

i want to ask the people here. my 16 year old dog is getting outward tumors and my vet says she is to old for surgery.

she has been with me for 16 years and now she is blind deaf and can walk very bad. she is not in pain(yet) i

as hard as it will be for me i think the time has come to think about letting her sleep for good.

unfortunatly my vet due to religion doesnt do euthanisations in the pattaya area

does anyone know of a vet or organisation that can assist me in letting my sweet dog go to the rainbow bridge?

please only serious responces.

thanks in advance

richard

The religion reason is BS (or they don't understand Buddhism)
Buddhism is all about suffering and karma; euthanasia (animal) gives you little bad karma; ending the (big!) suffering gives you a lot of good karma. Intention is key in determining karma!!

Good Luck in your search, mate 🙏

• Like 1

23 hours ago, carlyai said:

There was a vet in Naglua who did our dog. 

Sorry, don't remember name.

Similar sad experience. Forgot name also. 

Vet about halfway. on left, from Dolphin round-about to central Naklua.

There are other issues about refusing euthanasia for pets,

When it is refused in circumstances where it is obvious to do so, there are at least two victims who continue to suffer unnecessarily: the pet and the pet Owner.

If it is performed, there are no victims, including the Vet!

And it is worth noting that most people in Thailand, including vets, are quite OK with the terrible treatment and slaughter of animals for food - that they eat!! Even monks find this a difficult problem to grapple with!

I wonder how many people actually practice the main precepts of Buddhism - I can tell you - not that many!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, paahlman said:

I guess it has to do with religion. Mostly buddhist vets will not do this.. Try to find a muslim or christian vet. Might be different.. However.. .It could be a general Thai thing. Not sure.

Buddhism is a philosopy, not a religion. What we have in Thailand is ldolatry and a belief in reincarnation, hence the refusal to put animals down for fear of being punished in the next life.

• Agree 1

hello everyone, thanks for all the responses. today she finally went to the rainbow bridge. its sad but better for her.

the vets at nern plub wan animal hospital  were very helpfull. they did wanted to put her on meds for 1 week but after that they agreed it was better to let her go.

• Thanks 1