Austrian Man Drowns in Pattaya Condo Pool, His Wife and Daughter Left in Grief

snoop1130

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Ok, thank you Mr Ocean Whisperer who believes you only get rips where there are high waves and who believes Thailand doesn't have them. Mr Ocean Whisperer also believes rips don't exist otherwise all the water would wash out to sea. 

Go and peddle your misinformation elsewhere. 

Right, rip current strength is in direct correlation to amount of water moving to the beach. That’s the only way water can flow out to the ocean, if water pushes in. Since Thailand has very little swell and the swell it does have is weak wind swell, the rip currents are very weak to non existent. That’s why I’m making the point it’s just people in over their heads being in water… it has nothing to do with Thai rips that killed them. Like whatever happened to this guy happened in a pool, of course he’d be a goner if he was in the ocean. But not because of a rip… because he was drunk or just in over his head to even be in any body of water

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Right, rip current strength is in direct correlation to amount of water moving to the beach. That’s the only way water can flow out to the ocean, if water pushes in. Since Thailand has very little swell and the swell it does have is weak wind swell, the rip currents are very weak to non existent. That’s why I’m making the point it’s just people in over their heads being in water… it has nothing to do with Thai rips that killed them. Like whatever happened to this guy happened in a pool, of course he’d be a goner if he was in the ocean. But not because of a rip… because he was drunk or just in over his head to even be in any body of water

Wasn't this guy in a condo swimming pool?

13 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

That’s why I refer to them as outward flow of water. Doesn’t really exist in Thailand.

So the Tide never goes out in Thailand ?    :cheesy:

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So the Tide never goes out in Thailand ?    :cheesy:

If you really want to know the tide does go out but that would require a bottle neck to make any substantial rip current. Think of rip current like rivers. When you go to phuket on a calm day and the tide is going out, so you see anything resembling a river going straight out to sea? No. Never. But you can see this river effect if you go to an inlet where perhaps boats exit and the water is bottle necked. So honestly your comment just makes it obvious you have no clue what you’re talking about. 

Here is a live picture of some beach on the andam coat of Thailand. You see that wave action. It’s not nearly enough to cause any rip currents. 

IMG_3982.jpeg

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Wasn't this guy in a condo swimming pool?

Yes, my point was these are the same types of people who die in thai oceans. Ie they would have died in any body of water because they are drunk or who knows. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Yes, my point was these are the same types of people who die in thai oceans. Ie they would have died in any body of water because they are drunk or who knows. 

I got the impression this was an older guy quite used to regular swimming.....as I do most mornings. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I got the impression this was an older guy quite used to regular swimming.....as I do most mornings. 

Let’s say this happened at kata beach. So the guy dies and then his body is found later. Guess what is going to be named as the cause of death. Rip currents. Yet we know that wasn’t the case here. Idk if I made my point clear but whatever I’m over it

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Thailand has very little swell and the swell it does have is weak wind swell, the rip currents are very weak to non existent.

Absolute Bull Sh!t I personally have saved 1 young 8yr Thai girl, who had been swimming fine, but then could not get back in. and the 5 Thai men that rushed in to try and save her they too got caught. That was at White Sand beach Koh Chang, in the Gulf of Thailand. I was a lot younger and stronger then before mobile phones were everywhere. 

If you do get caught in a rip, try to swim across it, not against it. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Think about it. And I’m talking to everyone I’m not singling you out. What do people do in phuket. What is the type of tourist that arrives there? Drunk dudes who got plastered the night before looking to unwind. Hung over they enter the ocean to get refreshed and something bad happens. But what actually happened? It was just some drunk dude hungover not realizing his limits. It likely had nothing to do with dangerous rip currents. In other words it’s the people who are es#entially killing themselves Visa stupidity not the roughness of thai waters

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Absolute Bull Sh!t I personally have saved 1 young 8yr Thai girl, who had been swimming fine, but then could not get back in. and the 5 Thai men that rushed in to try and save her they too got caught. That was at White Sand beach Koh Chang, in the Gulf of Thailand. I was a lot younger and stronger then before mobile phones were everywhere. 

If you do get caught in a rip, try to swim across it, not against it. 

Sure you did pal. You saved a girl in the gulf of Thailand where there essentially are no rip currents. And then 5m guys got pulled out as they tried to save her. Sure pal. Cool story bro

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

If you really want to know the tide does go out but that would require a bottle neck to make any substantial rip current. Think of rip current like rivers. When you go to phuket on a calm day and the tide is going out, so you see anything resembling a river going straight out to sea? No. Never. But you can see this river effect if you go to an inlet where perhaps boats exit and the water is bottle necked. So honestly your comment just makes it obvious you have no clue what you’re talking about. 

Here is a live picture of some beach on the andam coat of Thailand. You see that wave action. It’s not nearly enough to cause any rip currents. 

IMG_3982.jpeg

You really do have no Idea what you are talking about. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Think about it. And I’m talking to everyone I’m not singling you out. What do people do in phuket. What is the type of tourist that arrives there? Drunk dudes who got plastered the night before looking to unwind. Hung over they enter the ocean to get refreshed and something bad happens. But what actually happened? It was just some drunk dude hungover not realizing his limits. It likely had nothing to do with dangerous rip currents. In other words it’s the people who are es#entially killing themselves Visa stupidity not the roughness of thai waters

I think you are rather getting away from the topic.......this was in a Pattaya Condo pool and a guy with a Thai wife and a daughter. 

• Agree 2

You know what kills people, all the bad advice they get. Like I’ll admit you can find your way further out when you’re swimming in the ocean because waves suck water as they approach. But that’s not a rip current. So what do people do in this situation? THEY SWIM TO THE SIDE AS THIS GUYS SAYING, AND WASTE ALL THEIR ENERGY WHEN THERE IS NO RIP CURRENT AND SHOULD BE SWIMMING STRAIGHT TO SHORE. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

Sure you did pal. You saved a girl in the gulf of Thailand where there essentially are no rip currents. And then 5m guys got pulled out as they tried to save her. Sure pal. Cool story bro

I really don't give a sh!t if you believe me or not, I don't know the 'Score' here now on Koh Chang but it was on that beach alone 20+ a year caught in rips, and drowned, most found over near the Mainland. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I think you are rather getting away from the topic.......this was in a Pattaya Condo pool and a guy with a Thai wife and a daughter. 

No im not. I’m explaining whatever happened to him is likely similar to what happens in thai oceans yet the deaths will be blamed on some torrential rip current. I’m over it. Really. Maybe you’re right.

But the take home point I’ll end it with is rip currents get an exaggerated amount of the blame in oceans drownings in Thailand. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk on the stupidity of swimmers causing there own deaths in Thailand 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I agree but one member here is giving out false information on the seas around Thailand that could be very dangerous to all that go swimming. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I agree but one member here is giving out false information on the seas around Thailand that could be very dangerous to all that go swimming. 

The danger is people like you giving out false information. I explained why above. People should swim in when they get pulled out while in the ocean but people like you tell them to swim to the side. Who knows how many people have died due to this terrible advice. 

• Confused 3

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I just want to point out one last time. Yes, this guy was a swimmer. And he died in a pool. I’m making the point even if an experienced swimmer dies in thai waters it’s not necessarily due to the nature of the thai oceans. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

And then 5m guys got pulled out as they tried to save her. Sure pal. Cool story bro

I never said they got pulled out to sea they also were stuck just beyond the small breakers and could not get back in. I had felt the pull earlier of the change in tide and was coming back in when I saw the girl struggling and the fear in her eyes,  The young girl never lost eye contact with me all through it. I managed to convey to the men to all grip hands in a chain. and by some miracle grabbed the outstretched arm, and managed to drag them all in on the next wave, the men dumped the child in front of me in the water, waist high, and went back to shore, exhausted, I carried the kid to shore who was now unconscious, put her on a beach hut veranda and felt her breathing, thank god, held her until she came round moments later. 

The next day she ran up to me on the beach Wai me and hugged me.

If you still think I made that up you are Mental. Stop with your misinformation on the seas around Thailand ! 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I just want to point out one last time. Yes, this guy was a swimmer. And he died in a pool. I’m making the point even if an experienced swimmer dies in thai waters it’s not necessarily due to the nature of the thai oceans. 

Yes -- nobody can die in Thai oceans because there are no Thai oceans.

• Haha 2

Quite seriously if you find yourself in danger in thai waters my advice would be never leave waist deep water because you are not a good swimmer. Every body of water in Thailand is as close as you can get to a swimming pool. If it’s giving you a lot of trouble, swimming just isn’t your thing. Stay out. Once again, the reason people *think* there are dangerous rip currents in Thailand is because Thais and the visitors here are notoriously bad swimmers, and are given horrible and confusing advice as we see right in this thread. So again, yes exercise extreme caution if you are that bad of a swimmer, as many Thais are. It seriously makes me laugh so hard people really think if you find yourself farther out than comfortable you should swim sideways to the shore lol. For how long, a km, 100 feet? They conveniently leave that part out. No. You should swim straight in and let waves smack you as swim. The only way water is going to move out is if there was a huge influx of water coming into shore, which doesn’t happen in Thailand. 

I wonder how come with all these dangerous rip currents everyday in Thailand and all the drownings, and every person has a phone on them or live beach cams, I wonder why a video of a person in Thailand being “swept out” by a rip current has never been captured. Seems there would be dozens of these videos of people getting pulled out to sea in miraculous fashion to me. But not one exists. Prove me wrong. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

A sign on a Koh Chang beach

download(21).jpg.ef62c0ecc7ea8dbe89e9241d834d742c.jpg

Stop it with your misinformation. Rip currents do not exist (even though you and I have both been in trouble in them). Koh Chang doesn't even exist either, stop making stuff up!

It astounds me that the guy is telling us to stop posting misinformation when he is posting the worst most dangerous misinformation and telling people if they are caught in a rip (which don't exist, remember?) then they should swim directly against it back to shore. THIS ADVICE COULD KILL SOMEONE!

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Stop it with your misinformation. Rip currents do not exist (even though you and I have both been in trouble in them). Koh Chang doesn't even exist either, stop making stuff up!

It astounds me that the guy is telling us to stop posting misinformation when he is posting the worst most dangerous misinformation and telling people if they are caught in a rip (which don't exist, remember?) then they should swim directly against it back to shore. THIS ADVICE COULD KILL SOMEONE!

Bugger Koh Chang just disappeared, my home is now just floating in the sea, Thank got there is no rip. I wonder where that ferry is heading......:cheesy::cheesy: 

On 5/28/2024 at 6:29 PM, ArnieP said:

This is the sort of response that would be posted by Sparktrader/BigNok.

Definitely one who likes to antagonise people, but he slightly lacks the ego/arrogance of Sparktrader/BigNock/Dolf.

My favorite thing about these drowning threads is the number one argument I get against me is “no, you’re wrong, I almost died once swimming in Thailand”. Yeah pal, because you can’t <deleted> swim! lol and you certainly should not be giving anyone advice on such matters if you can’t pull of swimming in calm thai waters. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

My favorite thing about these drowning threads is the number one argument I get against me is “no, you’re wrong, I almost died once swimming in Thailand”. Yeah pal, because you can’t <deleted> swim! lol and you certainly should not be giving anyone advice on such matters if you can’t pull of swimming in calm thai waters. 

Please stop now, you are embarrassing. Posting nonsense and insulting people, just bore off.

• Agree 2