Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

18 hours ago, hydraides said:

I bet they change visa exempt to only 1 x per year now.......so nothing actually really changes, in fact it could be even less 

60+30 days = 90 days

30 + 30 x 2 =120 days

Lets see..

Well since we’re betting, I bet they give us five years for 40

5 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Fly in. Get 60 days on arrival + extend for 60 days. Get 5 year 180 day visa, extend for 180 days.

480 days without leaving.

You could have done that now. For the amount they want, you could have done a few small flights out and back and it still would have been cheaper than the 10,000 they want. 

23 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Need to see the final details.  Because if everything is like this, everyone over 50 will change from retirement to digital nomad as less hassle is involved.   So final details are important. 

They would likely ask for a business license. Otherwise the visa becomes meaningless as everyone does a youtube vlog and calls themselves a nomad.

3 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

I notice some on here are getting excited simply because they have less paper work to do to stay longer. However, for those of us who have loved Thailand for many decades this is really appalling news. This news means the country is now an open door to everyone. As a result we will see visitors numbers (which are currently projected to hit around 40-50 million this year) to possibly 100 million (which is their target). 

Having some restrictions on entry is welcome to keep checks and balances, that also protect the local population from being over run, from illegal migrants that will take up work, pushing up rents for locals (and immigrants here legally), and generally mass human over tourism. 

How anyone can sit there in their condo, or island they're on and say we need to double the number of visitors here and it will make no difference to us. Look around you, look at the traffic, look at the pollution, looks at the massive numbers that are everywhere - then imagine that doubled. That price of the condo you sleep in will go up. 

I have news for you - it's going to spoil things on massive level. 

A simple perspective, even countries that reply heavily on tourism and overseas investment have visas in place for Indian and Chinese visitors. Very few countries in the world allow complete visa free access for these countries for this amount of time. It's basically an open door policy. 

I fully support Thailand needing to do something to reinvigorate their economy, but a mass open door policy is wrong - not just on a conservation level, but locals will suffer too. Go see Europeans now fighting back against leaders with masses of tourism that are blighting their towns. 

But hey, let's celebrate because you save a bit of paperwork. 

I am tempted to agree, when I read that the LTR Visa is stupid because 80 000 USD is an unachievable income. The answer to many of your concerns is get your Holidays elsewhere. Now on the positive side I am please to read that the Government can see that the Non-O structure is totally outdated, kafkaian.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Arthur Mullard said:

Laos 🇱🇦  not for me as a Brit! Btw I pay double what the Chinese pay! In fairness it was always around the $39-40 for me. 

I Referred to how many days visa exempt Lao and Cambodian citizens currently get when entering Thailand. Nothing to do with cost of people going to Laos or Cambodia.

The topic is changes to visa requirements for entrance into Thailand

• Thumbs Up 2

Though I lived in Thailand for years on business visas previously, these days the 60 day tourist visa is about enough and of course I could extend but the 60 day waiver on entry for UK passports does change the game.

No more tourist visas unless you want multiple entry because you can get 60 days on entry and a 30 day extension meaning you only need to jump ship once every 3 months or every 2 months if you cannot stand the stupidity of the immigration office roundabout or won't pay an agent to do it.

Unless you live in Thailand permanently, in which case you should have a 12 month visa option, then 60/90 days should be enough and options to jump to a nearby country make it easier than before because you won't be asking nearby countries for tourist visas.

However, is there a risk they may go like some western countries and impose 90 days in 180 days and 180 days in 12 months as maximums ?

22 hours ago, george said:

UPDATE:

Thailand makes sweeping changes for foreign travellers in record tourism bid

Changes will be made for digital nomads, students and retirees

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government has announced sweeping changes to tourism in the country.

Tourism is a key driver of Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy and a big source of employment.

The country said on Tuesday it had approved longer visa stay periods for tourists, postgraduate students and remote workers, and better visa conditions for retirees, in a move to boost its crucial tourism sector as its economy stutters.

Starting in June, Thailand will allow travelers from 93 countries to stay for periods of 60 days, up from the current 57 nations, while more will also be eligible for visas on arrival, government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke told reporters.

Foreign students will be permitted to stay for an additional year upon graduation, while insurance requirements for foreigners seeking to retire in Thailand will be relaxed, he added.

The new measures come as part of an effort to boost visitors, especially from its main and fastest-growing markets, by extending stay limits to 60 days from 30 days for on-arrival visas.

The validity of so-called “digital nomad” visas for self-employed, remote workers will be extended to five years, from 60 days presently, with each stay limited to 180 days.

Thailand recorded 14.3 million tourists in from January to May 26 this year and is targeting a record 40 million foreign arrivals for the full year, with revenue of 3.5 trillion baht ($95.73 billion).

In pre-pandemic 2019, Thailand welcomed a record 39.9 million arrivals, generating 1.91 trillion baht.

-- independent.co.uk 2024-05-28

The Cabinet meeting agreed in principle on the implementation of measures and guidelines for facilitating inspections to stimulate Thailand's economy and tourism. All 3 phases

The Cabinet meeting agreed in principle on the implementation of measures and guidelines for facilitating inspections to stimulate Thailand's economy and tourism. All 3 phases

Today (28 May 2024), Mr. Chai Watchrong, Spokesperson for the Prime Minister's Office It was revealed that today (May 28, 2024) the meeting The Cabinet agreed in principle on the implementation of measures and guidelines for facilitating inspections to stimulate Thailand's economy and tourism. All 3 phases as proposed

by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SET) A spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office said Thailand had not updated its measures and guidelines for 22 years. Therefore, in order to keep up with the current global situation, it is necessary to review the measures and guidelines for visa inspection to be flexible and flexible, which is easy to check and facilitate travelers entering Thailand. The SEC proposes a total of 3 phases, summarized as follows:

1.) Short-term measures (consisting of 5 measures effective June 2024) are:
1.1 The grant of the right to exempt from visa inspection to stay in Thailand for no more than 60 days (P.60) is a unilateral measure of Thailand. P.60 will take into account the principle of reciprocity. Political Dimension and International Relations These include security, tourism, economic and commitments that Thailand has made at both bilateral and multilateral levels. 93 countries/territories comprising (1) eligible countries; P.30 was originally 57 countries/territories according to the announcement of the Ministry of Interior and (2) added eligible countries. P.30 New 36 Country/Territory
1.2 Visa on Arrival (VOA) is Thailand's unilateral measure, and VOA eligibility criteria take into account the principle of reciprocity in the political dimension and international relations. Security dimension, tourism dimension, economic dimension and the absence of an embassy or consulate-general located in that
country 1.3 A new type of visa has been added, Destination Thailand Visa (DTV), for skilled and digital nomad foreigners who wish to stay in Thailand to work and travel at the same time. It is also a destination for foreigners who want to do cultural activities and use medical services, but Thailand has not yet issued a visa that accommodates this group of foreigners, which is a group of people who have potential and will be beneficial to the country's development.
1.4 Improving eligibility for international students entering undergraduate studies and above who have been granted a Non-Immigrant Visa (ED) to facilitate international students who are studying or about to complete higher education in Thailand. To attract potential and skilled people to the country's labor market
1.5 The Inspection Policy Committee should be appointed as an important mechanism for formulating Thailand's

surveillance policy. Medium-term measures (consisting of 3 measures effective from September – December 2024) are:
1. Group and reduce the code for non-immigrant visa from 17 to 7 codes, which will be implemented by September 2024.
2. Adjust the criteria and conditions for receiving the Long Stay visa for the elderly who wish to live the end of their lives in Thailand. It will be implemented by September 2024.
3 Expand e-Visa service Currently, the SEC provides e-Visa services at 47 out of 94 embassies/consulates-general, accounting for 50 percent. Consulates General and all Thai Trade and Economic Offices around the world By December 2023
3.) Long-term measures (fully implemented in June 2025) are the development of an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system for aliens who are entitled to exemption from visa

inspection. A spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office said the benefits from the proposed measures and guidelines will boost tourism and boost Thailand's economy affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to increase competitiveness with foreign countries, the visa facilitation model has been adopted as a measure to attract tourists. As follows:
1. The number of foreign tourists able to enter Thailand has increased through visa exemption measures. The new type of immigration clearance from June 2024, which is during the tourist season of the Gulf of Thailand, is an important mechanism to achieve the government's
target of total tourist revenue. Potential foreign groups such as digital nomads and others are interested in staying in Thailand both for tourism and remote work, which will create opportunities for these potential groups to consider doing business in Thailand in the long term. As a result, Thailand is a hub for people with potential in various fields to live and do business in Thailand, helping to generate and diversify income, as well as creating more
employment and technology transfer.3 Promote Thailand as an international education hub Some higher education institutions start the semester in June, resulting in the number of international students interested in studying higher education in Thailand. In the commencement of the 2024
academic year,
the SEC has prepared an estimate of revenue loss and expected benefits under Sections 27 and 32 of the State Fiscal Discipline Act B.E. 2561 (2018), summarized as follows
- Formulation of a list of countries and territories where passport holders or passport replacement documents temporarily enter the Kingdom for tourism, work or short-term business dealings. A total of 93 nationalities will lose about 12.3 billion baht per year (compared to 93 nationalities in 2023), including 4.5 million (4,000 million baht) in Visa on Arrival (VOA) fees. Tourist visa (TR) fee of 3,300 million baht
- In the case of facilitating international students who are studying or about to complete higher education in Thailand. With the cancellation of the Re-Entry Permit, students must apply to the Immigration Bureau every time before leaving Thailand. It is estimated that the state will lose about 152 million baht in national revenue. Of the approximately 40,000 higher education international students in Thailand in 2023,

On 5/28/2024 at 1:23 PM, humbug said:

Five year for Muay thai, nomads and tourists, must be lost in translation, maybe a mix up in information

Why would they only reduce health insurance for retirees and ooffer 5 year visas to Muay thai and nomads

Maybe they mean those new BOI Eec high earning professionals get 5 yeat

and they just extend tourist visas from 60 to 180 days?

It's 180 days, renewable up to 5 years

16 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well currently you needed four 30+30 day entries for 8 months....now you only need 3 entries for 9 months so no problem as less visits 😀

3 entries is still 2 too many for some immigration officers.  

Just now, Lite Beer said:

Hopefully the measures still to be announced will give us foreign men with Thai Wives the same conditions as foreign women with Thai husbands.

They have to have nothing in the bank.

Or at least give us extensions of stay up to 5 years.

It all gets very tiresome after 20 years of traipsing down to immigration every year.

Never ever going to happen.  there is always a financial catch with visas in general.

Posted (edited)

He revealed that the range of countries eligible for visa-free entry would grow from 57 to 93

Which countries are visa free?

European Union?

Where can we read official statements or it is hypothetical scenarios for the coming months ,years or decates?

Edited by Paris333
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

He revealed that the range of countries eligible for visa-free entry would grow from 57 to 93

Which countries are visa free?

European Union?

Where can we read official statements?

Official statements by June 1st. Should be in the next couple of days. 

Edited by Sumiyoshicho
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Mike - you are talking about a western male and a Thai woman?  You think your and mine 'inter-racial' marriage successes, mean all inter-racial marriages, including from males in 'less than desirable' countries now approved for Visa free entry are good?  Or did you mean from 'desirable' countries - like those previously approved - in which case, then I agree with you. 

If course not. Same applies to anywhere. All I am saying is that there is some benefit to society with mixed marriages. 

2 hours ago, SGD said:

However, is there a risk they may go like some western countries and impose 90 days in 180 days and 180 days in 12 months as maximums ?

There has been no mention of that in the news reports and the cabinet resolution.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

A lot of people at the Jomtien immigration office are trying to extend 30 day waivers so extending that to 60 days should help make those lines a little less busy.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 2

I think this part maybe is important 

Group and reduce the code for non-immigrant visa from 17 to 7 codes, which will be implemented by September 2024

I never knew there was 17 different non imm visa. They want to reduce them to 7. 

maybe only 1 type for retirement? We will know in the future 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, BE88 said:

Maybe it's just my impression but I'm afraid I won't see any improvement for retired people, what criteria and new conditions for September 2024 ?, actually a worsening but we'll have to wait and see

That could be because as we often say Thailand really likes tourist aka: come spend money & get out but..........

That would be very shortsighted because they can view tourists as customers that come to restaurant Thailand...spend & leave. But there are many restaurants in the world, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Spain, Italy etc. etc. Customers have choices

But when you look at a retiree they are the long term customers that stay at your restaurant spending day after day... year after year. I know which one I would welcome more of

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could the DTV become an option for those who, because of the new tax rules,  want to reduce their stays in Thailand to no more than 179 days per year?

You could even legally work remotely (which until now was a grey area).

It is not clear whether it gives you 180 days with every entry during the 5 years validity of the visa - or just one single entry (in which case it would be a joke)

But make no mistake: you are not really living here with 180 days,  you are visiting (exactly what the government wants). And after 180 days you really,  really have to leave (or will you be able to just do a border run after 180 days? And effectively stay 5 years in a row? I doubt it)

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, ryandb said:

$40k! That would qualify all the brokies (a remote CS job in the UK is like 2k a month so nearly 90k US if its a tech company 3-4k if) everyone is scared of coming, I imagine it'll be at least double/treble that which would be fine by me if it's renewable each year then it's much cheaper than other visas for under 50s even if they do a small taxation (think its 7% here) with the cost of living you are way up. 

My only thing I hate is why can't they just charge the 1900 on entry so you can book your onward flight correctly rather than having a cheap one to Singapore inside the 30/60 days and then cancelling it.

I always buy a return ticket after 30 days, and once in Suvarnabhumi i change it to 60 days. But of course it is better if you can change your ticket with no fee. And there is always the possibily that the flight back after 60 days is full... 

But every flight company knowing now that you can always extend the visa free entry by 30 days, i suppose they will let you board even with a return ticket after 60 days, right ? Did you ever had some bad experience ?