House book for farang

Hi guys we have just had a great house built in Udon Thani how do I get a  house book in my name the land is owned by my thai wife.

on a large family plot. 
the aim is to get bank account and retirement visa 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I got mine at the local tessabahn when our house was finished. !0 years ago and my memory not good but if I remember correctly I needed my passport plus a translation of the relevant page,  the chanote of the land and pictures of the completed house with the address which came from the land office ( I think ).

Since these requirements might have changed over time, and each district might have different requirements , it would be best to go with your wife when she gets her new blue book ( tabien bahn ) then at the same time , ask exactly what is needed for you to get a yellow house book. Some places are more friendly and co operative than others. Mine was ok but where we previously lived in Bangkok they were unhelpful and corrupt and basically tried putting a lot of unnecessary obstacles in my way.

It will help if you keep your cool no matter what and be friendly and polite as possible. Better to dress with long trousers in my opinion. Some might baulk at this obsequious behaviour but for me it was being normal.

If you get the yellow house book getting a pink ID card is easy. Is it worth having this ? Well, I find it useful at the bank when they want ID as it fits in my wallet and saves carrying a passport around although a Thai driving licence is also accepted.

Also renewing Driving License/registering a vehicle/hotel check in.

Some Amphurs are easier than others, I didn't need any translations, from memory wife, and 2 witnesses who know me, one must be able to translate to you in English. About the same as getting married.

As said best to go to your Amphur and ask them what you need. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, sirhowie said:

Hi guys we have just had a great house built in Udon Thani how do I get a  house book in my name the land is owned by my thai wife.

on a large family plot. 

Go with your wife to your local district office and ask them what they need. Not all district offices handle it the same way.

8 hours ago, sirhowie said:

on a large family plot. 

It's very easy if you're legally married. Go to district office. 

If your marriage is not registered, I believe your wife needs to submit some documents why you as a resident in the house want a yellow book. (That's what an ex-colleague was told.) Your district office can confirm that. 

6 hours ago, Denim said:

I got mine at the local tessabahn when our house was finished. !0 years ago and my memory not good but if I remember correctly I needed my passport plus a translation of the relevant page,  the chanote of the land and pictures of the completed house with the address which came from the land office ( I think ).

Since these requirements might have changed over time, and each district might have different requirements , it would be best to go with your wife when she gets her new blue book ( tabien bahn ) then at the same time , ask exactly what is needed for you to get a yellow house book. Some places are more friendly and co operative than others. Mine was ok but where we previously lived in Bangkok they were unhelpful and corrupt and basically tried putting a lot of unnecessary obstacles in my way.

It will help if you keep your cool no matter what and be friendly and polite as possible. Better to dress with long trousers in my opinion. Some might baulk at this obsequious behaviour but for me it was being normal.

If you get the yellow house book getting a pink ID card is easy. Is it worth having this ? Well, I find it useful at the bank when they want ID as it fits in my wallet and saves carrying a passport around although a Thai driving licence is also accepted.

Banks are changing the passport numbers in their records to the Thai pink ID card number if they become aware that you have a pink ID card.

Why? Because the banks all realize that a large % of the bank's account details have a passport number in the bank records for each farang but in many cases the passport has expired and the passport has probably been replaced but the passport number in the bank records has never been changed.

So when they become aware of a pink card they change the personal details in the bank database; delete the old / any passport number, and enter the pink ID card number which for most farang doesn't need reissue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sirhowie said:

on a large family plot. 

Firstly: Do you own the house: I.e. superficies or similar agreement with the land owner, architect drawing with your name as owner; building permission in your name?

The Blue House Book will be issued by tessa ban district office – the office that issued the building permission when the house is 80 percent or more finished – and is used for Thai residents. If you are house owner, you will be registered as "house master/host" and be the one to permit any Thai person to be registered in the Blue House Book.

You, being an alien, need to be registered in a Yellow House Book for aliens. To be that, you need to check with the local tessa ban-office what they need of documentation; it can vary (a lot) from district to district. But normally you will always need a certified translation of your passport's name page and two local witnesses, often a neighbour and a government employee, to certify that you are the one, you are.

For opening a bank account you only need proof of an address with a letter from the local immigration office, a passport and often a long stay visa. To get that you have to be TM30-registered on the address; TM30 is the name of the form used to register an alien on an address within 24 hours from the alien's arrival. You don't need to be registered in a House Book. However, someone need to be registered as "host" in the TM30-registration system, to register you on the address; it can be done online.

For retirement visa you only need a TM30-registration, if you apply for a non-immigrant O-visa domestically; you don't need address proof when applying abroad or in your home country. For annual extension of stay based on retirement, you need a TM30-registration.

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Banks are changing the passport numbers in their records to the Thai pink ID card number if they become aware that you have a pink ID card.

Why? Because the banks all realize that a large % of the bank's account details have a passport number in the bank records for each farang but in many cases the passport has expired and the passport has probably been replaced but the passport number in the bank records has never been changed.

So when they become aware of a pink card they change the personal details in the bank database; delete the old / any passport number, and enter the pink ID card number which for most farang doesn't need reissue. 

Has it changed recently?

Otherwise it must be depending of the bank; the two Thai banks I use insist so far to use my passport number.

• Agree 1

On 5/29/2024 at 2:18 AM, khunPer said:

Firstly: Do you own the house: I.e. superficies or similar agreement with the land owner, architect drawing with your name as owner; building permission in your name?

The Blue House Book will be issued by tessa ban district office – the office that issued the building permission when the house is 80 percent or more finished – and is used for Thai residents. If you are house owner, you will be registered as "house master/host" and be the one to permit any Thai person to be registered in the Blue House Book.

You, being an alien, need to be registered in a Yellow House Book for aliens. To be that, you need to check with the local tessa ban-office what they need of documentation; it can vary (a lot) from district to district. But normally you will always need a certified translation of your passport's name page and two local witnesses, often a neighbour and a government employee, to certify that you are the one, you are.

For opening a bank account you only need proof of an address with a letter from the local immigration office, a passport and often a long stay visa. To get that you have to be TM30-registered on the address; TM30 is the name of the form used to register an alien on an address within 24 hours from the alien's arrival. You don't need to be registered in a House Book. However, someone need to be registered as "host" in the TM30-registration system, to register you on the address; it can be done online.

For retirement visa you only need a TM30-registration, if you apply for a non-immigrant O-visa domestically; you don't need address proof when applying abroad or in your home country. For annual extension of stay based on retirement, you need a TM30-registration.

All I needed to open bank account was pp and METV (not a long term visa). No proof of address, no letter from immigration. No TM30.  They did it with a smile and didn't take long.  Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

All I needed to open bank account was pp and METV (not a long term visa). No proof of address, no letter from immigration. No TM30.  They did it with a smile and didn't take long.  Bangkok Bank.

The requirements vary greatly from on district office to the next. For this reason, your information is unlikely to help the OP, unless your experience was recent and with the unamed district office in Udon Thani province where the OP lives.

15 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Thanks for your info. Recently or when?

I have accounts at four different banks.  One insist on Passport only; one would accept either a pink card or a passport; two will accept only a pink ID card.  Go figure.

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your info. Recently or when?

I originally opened it in 2019.  With the experience I described.  I forgot to mention I had two Thais as witnesses (?) or to vouch for me (?).  My wife and her nephew (RTP).  They never talked to them.  I was away for 3 years during Covid.  When I returned in 2023 I discovered BB had closed my account (I assume because of inactivity}.  I went to the bank with my old book and explained and they very easily just opened a new account for me.  Chiang Rai.  

16 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

I originally opened it in 2019.  With the experience I described.  I forgot to mention I had two Thais as witnesses (?) or to vouch for me (?).  My wife and her nephew (RTP).  They never talked to them.  I was away for 3 years during Covid.  When I returned in 2023 I discovered BB had closed my account (I assume because of inactivity}.  I went to the bank with my old book and explained and they very easily just opened a new account for me.  Chiang Rai.  

Thanks for your explanation. It seems like you have been reopening an account. Opening a new account without a long stay-visa has been mentioned, to be difficult by now. It's especially a problem for those entering visa exempt or on a tourist visa that wish to apply for a non-immigrant visa domestically and therefore needs a Thai bank deposit. The common advice is to shop around between bank branches, as there can be difference in what they accept.

22 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Do you have PR? 

Foreigners can't be in the house blue book unless you have PR. 

Yes they can, foreigners can be registered in a Yellow House Book for aliens, but not in the Blue House Book. I don't have PR, but I'm registered in my Yellow House Book, and I also have a pink ID-card for aliens.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes they can, foreigners can be registered in a Yellow House Book for aliens, but not in the Blue House Book. I don't have PR, but I'm registered in my Yellow House Book, and I also have a pink ID-card for aliens.

Where have I spoke about yellow book? 

I'm not talking about yellow book. 

Put on your glasses mate!!!!! 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your explanation. It seems like you have been reopening an account. Opening a new account without a long stay-visa has been mentioned, to be difficult by now. It's especially a problem for those entering visa exempt or on a tourist visa that wish to apply for a non-immigrant visa domestically and therefore needs a Thai bank deposit. The common advice is to shop around between bank branches, as there can be difference in what they accept.

Actually when I went back to them I thought yes they would just reopen my old account.  In fact they opened a new account with new account number.  I had a Macro card that was also closed while I was away during Covid.  I went to them thinking they could just reopen it without much trouble. No.  They had to go through the whole process opening a completely new card.

• Thanks 1