I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

But you don't live on them, do you? I choose not to relax in bits, but all the time, for as long as able, which requires living in the quiet zone.

There is a need to goto sleazy bar areas like buakhow and walking street often for "some reason" which was discussed before. Living in a quiet nice location is not an option full time.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hua Hin was OK before Hilton built that excrement in the middle of the town.

This is what i thought many many years ago i enjoyed Hua Hin but not now 
Its the same with many places Samui used to be paradise
Luckily south of Hua hin have still got some nice beaches along the coast

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kwak250 said:

This is what i thought many many years ago i enjoyed Hua Hin but not now 
Its the same with many places Samui used to be paradise
Luckily south of Hua hin have still got some nice beaches along the coast

Samui is a lot more busy than Hua Hin and Samui is more expensive. I doubt Samui has rooms with pool and gym under 500 baht. I have never seen that value on any island. Never seen it anywhere apart from Hua Hin.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, susanlea said:

That isn't true. I doubt you have been there for years. The only part that disappears at high tide is the northern part. South of the train station the beach is great and extends for several kms.

You probably went there 15 years ago and only visited the northern part. I was on the beach in May this year. It was great. The horses are only in one small part. The water quality was also good. The beaches further south are no better at all. Ao Manao water is less clear and more shallow.

When I went the big condos south of the town all encroached below high tide level, so either you didn't walk along at high tide or the sand has accumulated in front of the encroaching embankments.

I never went to beaches to swim. I went for the ambience. So, the water clarity was of no importance for me.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:38 PM, JimTripper said:

There is a need to goto sleazy bar areas like buakhow and walking street often for "some reason" which was discussed before. Living in a quiet nice location is not an option full time.

Sorry but I have no idea what point you are making about Buakhao and W S.

I always took a girlfriend so I had no need for such anyway.

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 12:46 AM, susanlea said:

They can be visited in 2 days then what do people do? 

You come across as a person that is not self motivating, and require other people to entertain you.

I could try and explain, but I doubt you'd understand why some of us don't need other people to entertain us and can be happy just living in a quiet environment without gyms or bars etc.

On Than Sadet I was content sitting in a cliff top restaurant looking at the view for an hour or two, or in a hammock in front of the cabin looking at the sea.

Photo from Google images

than sadet cliff top restaurant.jpg

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You come across as a person that is not self motivating, and require other people to entertain you.

I could try and explain, but I doubt you'd understand why some of us don't need other people to entertain us and can be happy just living in a quiet environment without gyms or bars etc.

On Than Sadet I was content sitting in a cliff top restaurant looking at the view for an hour or two, or in a hammock in front of the cabin looking at the sea.

Photo from Google images

That beach could be anywhere. If you are self motivating you would be on a Thai island now rather than telling me how to live. Hua Hin is a quiet place not known for nightlife. The southern bays are similar to above but have restaurants. Maybe you don't like food either. 

When I went the big condos south of the town all encroached below high tide level, so either you didn't walk along at high tide or the sand has accumulated in front of the encroaching embankments.

I never went to beaches to swim. I went for the ambience. So, the water clarity was of no importance for me.

It looks like there is more sand there now. Could see the tide lines and room still left on the beach. Sai Noi beach would suit you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Photo from Google images

Where is the hovering wait staff, behind you? 🤣 Definately better then central pattaya where I am now!

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

That beach could be anywhere. If you are self motivating you would be on a Thai island now rather than telling me how to live. Hua Hin is a quiet place not known for nightlife. The southern bays are similar to above but have restaurants. Maybe you don't like food either. 

I would be but Thailand is not somewhere to be when one is old and likely to need a lot of very expensive hospital care, but without insurance or a load of cash available.

Nightlife in Hua Hin? Thou jest assuredly.

I enjoyed the nightlife when I was in Pattaya or Bkk, but I didn't need it. I can prove that as I lived in Chiang Mai for my last year in LOS, and the nightlife is probably worse than Hua Hin. Actually the nightlife in C M is an insult to nightlife.

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Where is the hovering wait staff, behind you? 🤣 Definately better then central pattaya where I am now!

No hovering wait staff in that restaurant. Only 1 or 2 staff and the cook. I don't remember the food so it can't have been special, but the view was magnificent.

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Maybe you don't like food either. 

Food doesn't matter to me. Restaurants are a waste of money unless on holiday. I eat to fuel the biological machine that carries me around and OK with eating hot dogs or fried rice.

If I can't cook it in a microwave, I don't eat it, unless it's takeaways.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Hua Hin is a quiet place not known for nightlife.

But it's got cars and mad drivers that tried to run me down. It's also been ruined by the monstrosity right in the middle of the town- horrible insult to a once upon a time quaint town. I visited it long before that vile excrescence was built.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No hovering wait staff in that restaurant. Only 1 or 2 staff and the cook. I don't remember the food so it can't have been special, but the view was magnificent.

You found a needle in a haystack. If that's your scene it's rare in Thailand. Easier to find in other countries that value quiet and solitude more.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You found a needle in a haystack. If that's your scene it's rare in Thailand. Easier to find in other countries that value quiet and solitude more.

I could never find a quiet place in the Philippines sadly.

But... getting back to the topic I avoided going out on Sundays when I was in Pattaya,just too crowded especially around that Central Mall area 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

But... getting back to the topic I avoided going out on Sundays when I was in Pattaya,just too crowded especially around that Central Mall area 

The intersection at 3rd road and pattaya klang near me is as bad as new york city was when I lived there. The wait to cross is just as long. So long, that I usually sit down nearby until the light changes to get out of the sun and heat. It's daily also, not just on the weekend.

Edited by JimTripper

But it's got cars and mad drivers that tried to run me down. It's also been ruined by the monstrosity right in the middle of the town- horrible insult to a once upon a time quaint town. I visited it long before that vile excrescence was built.

You would never be happy unless it is a cheap quiet place with little concrete. But most people aren't like you. They want malls, restaurants and swimming pools.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

The intersection at 3rd road and pattaya klang near me is as bad as new york city was when I lived there. The wait to cross is just as long. So long, that I usually sit down nearby until the light changes to get out of the sun and heat. It's daily also, not just on the weekend.

At that crossroads there is never a time where traffic stops both ways so you have to cross halfway and wait

• Confused 1

On 6/7/2024 at 2:22 PM, susanlea said:

Samui is a lot more busy than Hua Hin and Samui is more expensive. I doubt Samui has rooms with pool and gym under 500 baht. I have never seen that value on any island. Never seen it anywhere apart from Hua Hin.

Must be a reason for that.

Surely you know the answer?

On 6/9/2024 at 4:21 PM, JimTripper said:

The reason it's so quiet is that the beach can't be ruined developed as it's a national park ( devoid of N P moneygrabbing officials ) due to large boulders in the river where the kings of LOS came to carve their names.

It's also very difficult to get to, which means no daytrippers or riff raff.

21 hours ago, susanlea said:

You would never be happy unless it is a cheap quiet place with little concrete. But most people aren't like you. They want malls, restaurants and swimming pools.

They do, which is why all the best beaches in LOS are ruined.

I'm not the only one though. Enough customers come to support at least 4 resorts and more restaurants, plus about 3 or more on next beach along.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They do, which is why all the best beaches in LOS are ruined.

I'm not the only one though. Enough customers come to support at least 4 resorts and more restaurants, plus about 3 or more on next beach along.

We enjoyed Sai Noi beach which is underdeveloped but we also enjoyed the developed beaches.

On 6/6/2024 at 5:37 PM, JimTripper said:

Has anyone ever been to a german cafe or restaurant in thailand?

Old German Beer House on soi 13, off of Suk. Just had the potato pancakes. Solid.

Many, many German/Thai couples, as you would expect.

22 hours ago, susanlea said:

Those people in crowded locations don't actually "want" to be there and most are not happy there.

The reason they end up there and are drawn to those locations is following the herd and a sense of safety around others. Being told where to go based on what everyone else was doing, basically.

A study was done for "Safeway" (a major grocery chain in the Usa). It found that for sales, familiarity and safety (Safeway 🤔) were a primary driver of success for the franchise. Food quality, prices, etc were further down the list.

People "liked" the novelty of a gourmet market, but did not shop there regularly, it being more of a treat. Alternatively, the Food4Less grocery down the street had much better prices and practically the same quality of food items, but was not as successful. People interpreted the store as ghetto-ish and "unsafe" or frequented by people who needed to save money or buy "Food4Less".

Just the store name made a huge difference in customers. So if a city was named something that sounded sexual (or just a coincidence it sounded as such) it could attract a large base of visitors looking for that activity. For example, bangkok (bang cock) or phuket (fuk it). 

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2024 at 12:19 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Photo from Google images

Nice place, but last time I was there, the bungalows falling apart, and it was interesting and spiritual atmosphere among those who lived there 🤓

On 6/7/2024 at 9:22 AM, susanlea said:

Can you name a decent place for 500 a night with swimmingpool you actually can swim in? 

@thaibreaker I loved Koh Phangan, and I could easily live there. Good restaurants, beaches and not to expensive.

44 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Those people in crowded locations don't actually "want" to be there and most are not happy there.

The reason they end up there and are drawn to those locations is following the herd and a sense of safety around others. Being told where to go based on what everyone else was doing, basically.

A study was done for "Safeway" (a major grocery chain in the Usa). It found that for sales, familiarity and safety (Safeway 🤔) were a primary driver of success for the franchise. Food quality, prices, etc were further down the list.

People "liked" the novelty of a gourmet market, but did not shop there regularly, it being more of a treat. Alternatively, the Food4Less grocery down the street had much better prices and practically the same quality of food items, but was not as successful. People interpreted the store as ghetto-ish and "unsafe" or frequented by people who needed to save money or buy "Food4Less".

Just the store name made a huge difference in customers. So if a city was named something that sounded sexual (or just a coincidence it sounded as such) it could attract a large base of visitors looking for that activity. For example, bangkok (bang cock) or phuket (fuk it). 

Phuket doesn't sound anything like that. People mainly go to famous places because they don't know any better. I think people generally don't like quiet places and act more like herd animals.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Can you name a decent place for 500 a night with swimmingpool you actually can swim in? 

@thaibreaker I loved Koh Phangan, and I could easily live there. Good restaurants, beaches and not to expensive.

I could but they are easy to find on your own. The pool and gym were fine, the bathroom was badly designed though. There was another at 650 baht, better gym and pool but ridiculous shower bathtub set up that was almost dangerous. I nearly broke some glass. The room was large, pool huge and good gym but shower was so bad decided to move elsewhere. The best room/gym/pool combo ended up costing 690 or 800 with breakfast. Monthly 12,000.

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

I could but they are easy to find on your own. The pool and gym were fine, the bathroom was badly designed though. There was another at 650 baht, better gym and pool but ridiculous shower bathtub set up that was almost dangerous. I nearly broke some glass. The room was large, pool huge and good gym but shower was so bad decided to move elsewhere. The best room/gym/pool combo ended up costing 690 or 800 with breakfast. Monthly 12,000.

No, there is nort easy to find for the price you claim. 

The best I found for a decent price was condo 88. 14k for a month. Quiet and not crowded.