New Tax Rules for Expats in Thailand Spark Concern

webfact

So much discussion and there's a simple legal way around this.

If you're concerned, I'm certainly not.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, freeworld said:

No it will not. Companies and people will just be subject to tax in line with OECD, UN and CRS norms and local taxation rules.

Thailand as a country will still survive and they can amend their tax laws further if something is not working.

This was like shooting themselves in the foot, they might survive, but it would have been better to study the pros and cons first. You know, like before putting the loaded weapon in it's holster with the safety off.

5 hours ago, motdaeng said:

the big open question is, will the new tax law be enforced by the tax revenue department?

When it becomes part of the visa application 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

This is Thailand, nobody follows the rules, especially Thais.

Any post discussing tax evasion, will be removed and warnings issued.

And for information:

13. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

When it becomes part of the visa application 

Making stuff up. There are already financial requirements to get a visa. Tax is dealt with by the tax department not by immigration department.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

well said.

question I keep asking myself is why do us well-heeled farangs subject ourselves each and every year to the constant cycle of abuse?

we must be rather masochistic by nature...

bob.

Yup.....we are their little puppets........"Hey Farang, JUMP!"

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, AllanA said:

I think a lot of the retirees will end up moving to another country now and most likely Cambodia or Vietnam as they won’t be able to afford being taxed in Thailand plus anyone thinking of Thailand as a place to retire now would seriously be thinking of a new destination. All this is definitely going to hurt places like Hua Hin, Pattaya, Chang Mai and outer Phuket where a lot of retirees currently live. 

Why?  Provide references for your statement.

US Tax Agreement PDF page 23 pensions and social security may only be taxed by USA.  

All tax residents are allowed similar Thai Revenue Tax deductions and Exemptions.  

So These people Will spend all the time to pack up and move But not 1 hour to read, understand or consult with a professional?

Develop your strategy.  Use Every Legal deduction, Exemption, law and order that any reasonable and capable person would use.  Start NOW, keeping proof, documentation, of the Source of this Assessable Foreign Sourced Income if it will be Remitted into Thailand.

Maybe these people need pictures to better understand Google Thailand Revenue Department.  Taxes Foreigners_Pay_2024.pdf

Relax and go back to Enjoy this Great Country of Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Believe whatever you want to, they get boatloads of support in the USA.

and can travel around free of immigration police

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FutureEx said:

Dear Thailand. Cambodia, Laos and The Philippines thank you so much for sending many of your retirees to us. Well done! 

Phils sounds great tbh.

Problem is I would probably put my back out after a few weeks from all the poundin I would be doin!

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Compared to Thailand, being an immigrant in the USA is a dream.....here, you are treated as a nuisance while they pick your pocket and scam you to death.

There is a distinctive difference between a an Immigrant visa and a Non-Immigrant visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Haha you think so.

For the US.

100 Mile Border Zone

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects people from random and arbitrary stops and searches. Although the federal government claims the power to conduct certain kinds of warrantless stops within 100 miles of the U.S. border, important Fourth Amendment protections still apply. This helps you understand your rights within the 100-mile border zone.

Are immigration officials allowed to stop people in places wholly inside the U.S.?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the federal agency tasked with patrolling the U.S. border and areas that function like a border, claims a territorial reach much larger than you might imagine. A federal law says that, without a warrant, CBP can board vehicles and vessels and search for people without immigration documentation “within a reasonable distance from any external boundary of the United States.” These “external boundaries” include international land borders but also the entire U.S. coastline.

In Thailand have never been approached or stopped by an immigration officer inside the borders.

Edited by freeworld

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I bet you'd miss it if somebody wasn't asking you to make more copies of something or report this and that every other day......it's a lifestyle choice. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I bet you'd miss it if somebody wasn't asking you to make more copies of something or report this and that every other day......it's a lifestyle choice. 

You mean like the start of this subject today and several folks repeating the same old messages over and over and yet we still are in the same situation we have been in since it all started!  I sure don't know how you have been able to listen to so many repeats.....and repeats ...and repeats...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, WingFat said:

Americans get a foreign tax credit on their US taxes for taxes paid in a foreign country, so no change for them. I don't know about how it will work out for Eritreans.

Am I understanding you correctly? Did you just say that Americans like me can deduct any taxes paid to Thailand from their US taxes? If I bring in a million baht from the US and pay Thai taxes on that, the Thai taxes will be deductible from my US taxes? If so, that effectively means I'll continue to pay no Thai taxes. Am I getting it right? That would be a relief. 

4 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Haha you think so.

For the US.

100 Mile Border Zone

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects people from random and arbitrary stops and searches. Although the federal government claims the power to conduct certain kinds of warrantless stops within 100 miles of the U.S. border, important Fourth Amendment protections still apply. This helps you understand your rights within the 100-mile border zone.

In Thailand have never been approached or stopped by an immigration officer.

yeah, I notice from US news that foreigners/immigrants keep begin refused entry of US military bases in different locations - nowhere near any of the borders even....accept it, Americans still have many more freedoms for everyone than many places.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Presnock said:

You mean like the start of this subject today and several folks repeating the same old messages over and over and yet we still are in the same situation we have been in since it all started!  I sure don't know how you have been able to listen to so many repeats.....and repeats ...and repeats...

It's either this or fix the fence and this seemed easier.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never really been that worried about filing a tax return and potentially paying tax in Thailand. In real terms I only transfer small amounts into Thailand each month.

But what does concern me big time is the actual logistics of doing a tax return properly.

I live in Chiang Mai province with, apparently 30,000 other long term expats.

How the hell are the RD in Chiang Mai going to process that many ignorant foreigner's tax returns within the first three months of the year???

We will all have to all camp out the night before just in the vain hope of getting a slot!!!

This is a side of this that the government hasn't thought through...

Okay, so maybe a percentage of the long term expats may work here and therefore pay tax on their salaries. But even so...

People will say "get an accountant or a financial advisor" but there can't possibly be enough English speaking advisors to go around. And none of them can start working for you until this year is over. 

1 minute ago, Ebumbu said:

Am I understanding you correctly? Did you just say that Americans like me can deduct any taxes paid to Thailand from their US taxes? If I bring in a million baht from the US and pay Thai taxes on that, the Thai taxes will be deductible from my US taxes? If so, that effectively means I'll continue to pay no Thai taxes. Am I getting it right? That would be a relief. 

Not exactly. Let me ask @JimGant to explain it to you, he can be useful when explaining the US side of things.

• Like 1