Thailand Considers VAT on Imported Goods Under 1,500 Baht

webfact

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

How about we tier the VAT, 0% on anything under B1500 (to help the poor), keep it at 7% on everything up to say B1.5 million (help the middle-class), then 25% on everything over B1.5 million, that should hit the superrich where it hurts.

seems no knowledge of econommy..............

it not hurt the superrich, it hurts everybody , mostly industrial and manufactures, and would lead to massive price increase in all sectors and prices. and at the end hurt  at most the low/middle class

to collect VAt on  under 1500 ,  is the result of the massive growth of imports  (from china) since e commerce bomming

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

VAT on imports isn't really a big issue, 7% on reading glasses that cost 35 baht won't be much.

the problem will be with the "service fee" - I guess they will collect that on every import to pay for the manpower needed to process the volume.

• Confused 1

Does every country include VAT on the shipping cost, or is it just Thailand?

I paid 120% duty/fees on a shipment from France, as they dinged me for the shipping too. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

If you buy an item in the UK and it is repackaged and posted to you as a gift, no receipt,.......what then?....who decides its value and what tax is due?

I believe that if they happen to open the package, they then look up the value of the contents online. 

that’s what happened to my nephew when he had a drone sent over from the UK. He had to go to customs to collect it because they intercepted it and was arguing it had a low value. The customs officer just opened his computer browser and looked up the retail value.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Foxx said:

How is this article different from the ones on this site on April 3:

and April 29?

There is no difference. Just repeating exactly the same. When they originally posted the story I said we now had to be prepared for weeks of delay waiting for anything from overseas as we can be sure they won't employ more customs officials for the added checks and paperwork, and planning to get private businesses to use their resources to be unpaid tax collectors is a non-starter. The Post Office does that now, but they are part of the government. Another idea dreamed up by someone with the mind of a child, unable to think things through.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Agree 2

So, maybe someone can comment -  will this slow down spending by local consumers by raising prices, leading to more inflation?

It isn't like VAT will go back to help people but more likely buy more aircraft carriers and submarines. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Bravo Sierra 🐂 💩

It's meant to harvest the most amount of tax revenue from the most economically downtrodden segment of society for the benefit of large Thai corporate entities and the gaping maw of a government facing a inflationary debt spiral.  "Screw the peasants and commoners.  We're going Feudal and Medieval on them!" 

Tax and inflation:  Happiness To The People.  They'll be asking for Prayut to come back soon.

And the toad

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The current system exempts imported goods valued under 1,500 baht from VAT. The proposed change would see the Customs Department taking responsibility for VAT collection on such low-value imports.

The government coffers must be really empty.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

it will happen here
just as it is happening elsewhere
sending VAT free "gifts" internationally via the postal system will become a thing of the past
though this may be more to do with shopee and lazada and low value items from China

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I used to import a few things from China.  No charges for items under 1500B including shipping.  Three or 4 times, I had to pick-up the package from EMS, and pay the VAT, even though the total price including shipping was only 1200-1300B.  When I queried it, I was told that they could send it back to Bangkok, but it probably wouldn't come back.

Yes, it was Pattaya!  Where else!

Hello,

This Pm and his Adminastartion is detroying Thailand,It's bad enough sometimes the tax is nearly doubled or more to import products RIDICULOUS !!!! THAILAND !!!! Now your talking about taxing all !!! ??? While inflation global economy is untamed your going to punish people more by doing stuff like this ???? No mention of the next business wait until the PM Destroys the other buisness booming in Thailand. I have been talking to many expats who are pulling the plug on Thailand and with that and the angry public it spells disaster for Thailands recovery.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1