British Man Arrested in Thailand for Posing as Tour Guide

webfact

"...........charging 70,000 Baht per head for tours"

What kind of a tour is that? A "help yourself to all you can carry from the local gold shops"  kind of tour?

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

He wasn't "posing" as a tour guide and running a "scheme", he was an actual tour guide, running tours. He was violating employment laws, but it doesn't sound like he was defrauding his customers.

At 70k a pop I think that was fraud!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Yet look at all the billionaire Thais who own football clubs and homes in the UK even Big Joke loves the UK he was there last month !

Have they been caught running illegal travel agencies, bashing Russians to death, doing bill runners in brothels, running over the locals, touching up kids sexually? 

Or do they behave themselves as guests in a foreign country should? 

One thing I do love about the Thais is that they have very good manners, are very hospitable and welcoming. 
I can’t recall ever meeting a Thai Karen.

we Brit’s can learn a lot from the Thais.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Have they been caught running illegal travel agencies, bashing Russians to death, doing bill runners in brothels, running over the locals, touching up kids sexually? 

Or do they behave themselves as guests in a foreign country should? 

One thing I do love about the Thais is that they have very good manners, are very hospitable and welcoming. 
I can’t recall ever meeting a Thai Karen.

we Brit’s can learn a lot from the Thais.

GOAT, this is you isn't it, nice to see you back.

• Haha 2

Let's see them crack down on the Chinese tour guides. This kid was way over the line and way overcharging as well. A nice scam while it lasted but probably banned for life.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

He wasn't "posing" as a tour guide and running a "scheme", he was an actual tour guide, running tours. He was violating employment laws, but it doesn't sound like he was defrauding his customers.

now he will have to pay with some jail time - bet he won't consider it a worthwhile CAREER in this way again

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, khunpin said:

No surprise for me that this criminal comes from England. 

3 hours ago, Keep Right said:

More Brits behaving badly. Thailand seems to attract the worst of the worst of the Brits.

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Bye, bye silly little boy.

Another piece of excrement Thailand doesn't need.

Where is the yawn emoji when you need one?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

OMG, those perky Brits once again in Thailand? :partytime2:

There's a few British who try and do tour guides here, marketting themselves covertly on social media (ie presenting themselves as just normal vloggers but the deep line secret is they want you to buy a tour of them), and judging by the details i seen the get paid back into the UK account. Quite a few famous british tiktokers who have been clearly doing this, getting people signed up, or have done this in the past. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

3 hours ago, Chetzee said:

UK passport available to pretty much everyone these days ..... on the plus size he's not drenched in Tattoos and been in a fight ..... 

Utter nonsense. You need to have lived at least 7 years, and worked. If you came to the UK through marriage your partner needs to be earning at least 30,000 pounds approx a year (and this is rising). Then have to do a life in the UK test (which trust not even the locals would pass), then a language test. Then after you pass all that <deleted>, criminal record check, and can afford the application you then after all those years can become a british citizenship and get a passport. 

It's not easy at all. 

27 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I do not see the scam, nor the overcharging.

70,000 baht for an 18 day holiday in glorious Thailand?

Accommodation, transport included and some meals.

From Khaosod

image.jpeg.0be8458d8a52e209e869ae2ca9139393.jpeg

70k Per Person. It is a very high price but beyond that, he is working illegally and probably not paying taxes. Screw the twerp, Bangkok Hilton then directly off to Europe with an Interpol sticker on his back.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, khunjeff said:
4 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

He should be held accountable for breaking the law, shouldn't he?

Sure. But for working illegally or running an unlicensed business, not for operating a fraudulent scheme (as the first article implies he was doing).

No implication, whatsoever, in the OP that fraud was a consideration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BritScot said:
7 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Pity he didn't do it via correct channels. 

He isn't Thai so no correct channels as its a reserved Thai only job.

Yes, there are, his company could have employed Thai guides. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

A clear racist comment, that would get you in trouble in the UK. So i am going to assume you are here in Thailand that you feel embolded to make this old racist comment. I am going to assume you are in Pattaya. Would i be correct?

I assume you have blue hair,am i right?

i am in Phu Quoc.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

How the great had fallen each day it is the Brit did this did that.  If aren't drunk, getting kick in the head, now they scamming good folks.:crazy:

What are you talking about, there is no suggestion that anyone was being scammed? 

• Agree 2

Follow a few of these hardcore 'influencers' from the UK on TikTok who sprout out that the UK is not great and come to Thailand mantra (without ever giving you all the details) - they create a platform of entertaining videos, seemingly offering advice. Then you get the odd message from them they are doing a tour. 

Even some of the major guys on TikTok have done this sort of thing in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1